Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

texas vehicle inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. There is no emissions test for BEV. That's why the test is only $7.50.
They are saying that in some counties ( ?) the emissions test is mandatory anyway, including the one that their vehicle is registered as based in. They want to avoid that by doing the test at there temporary living address, where it isn’t mandatory.

PS I don’t know if this is true or not. I’d like to hear which jurisdiction this is.

They are saying that in some counties ( ?) the emissions test is mandatory anyway, including the one that their vehicle is registered as based in. They want to avoid that by doing the test at there temporary living address, where it isn’t mandatory.

PS I don’t know if this is true or not. I’d like to hear which jurisdiction this is.
In Collin County, where emissions are mandated, when the VIN is put in, it comes out with just the safety part.

Reactions: cmy4x4
In Collin County, where emissions are mandated, when the VIN is put in, it comes out with just the safety part.

Thank you SammichLover and jerry33. My permanent location is in an emissions-test-required county. If I get the safety inspection in a no-emissions-test county, would it mess it the Texas "2-step" registration and prevents me from getting a sticker? Do I need to get some sort of signoff saying no emissions possible? Has anyone successfully done this?

Thank you SammichLover and jerry33. My permanent location is in an emissions-test-required county. If I get the safety inspection in a no-emissions-test county, would it mess it the Texas "2-step" registration and prevents me from getting a sticker? Do I need to get some sort of signoff saying no emissions possible? Has anyone successfully done this?
It will only cost you $7.50 to find out. Just do the inspection and then see if there's an issue with renewal. I suspect there won't be, but then you'll know.

Where do you take yours in Plano? Until now, I’ve been driving BMWs, so I would just take it to the dealer for inspection. I don’t trust the guys at my local Jiffy Lube to drive my Model 3 around the back.
I take it to a place near Parker and Alma (north side of street). They've done the S just fine. There is really nothing that they do that could possibly harm a Tesla. No jacking for example. There's another inspection station at Parker and Independence but the personnel are rather rude, so I never went back after the first time.

Reactions: turns2stone
Are yall really having that many problems? I've taken all my vehicles to jiffy lube, it's a car, not surgery, the get in and drive it to the computer.
No problems, other than that if the tint goes below the A1 line on the windshield, the car will fail the inspection. Mostly it's about convenience.

No problems, other than that if the tint goes below the A1 line on the windshield, the car will fail the inspection. Mostly it's about convenience.
I haven't had to do an inspection yet since the car is brand new. The sticker was just 1 yr since the car is technically not sold in Texas. However, based on your reply i'm assuming you have the windshield tinted. Did the place at Parker & Alma give you any trouble about that?