Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Text reading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a highly requested feature and I’m still shocked that no Tesla has this capability at all. I can understand them not wanting you to be distracted by reading a text message displayed on the screen but the car should at least be able to read the text to you and you should be able to dictate messages via voice recognition. Don’t hold your breath waiting for Tesla to give us this functionality...

My 2012 S used to appear to read texts aloud but it turns out it was my Windows Phone doing it. At some point I found a setting to turn that after off so that it wouldn't pronounce "really large numbers" from automated text messages from my bank.

I vaguely recall somebody mentioning they essentially get this functionality just with BT audio and using hey google or hey siri or whatever on the phone- but didn't care enough to bookmark it....could probably be turned up with a search.

The car of tomorrow, today, with the connectivity of yesterday.

It's all relative. My 2015 Grand Cherokee only has a 3G connection. And they STILL attempt to offer a wifi hotspot feature for all vehicle occupants to use for $10 a day or $30 a month. As if that ridiculous price was something I could get past, you want to charge me that for a shared 3G connection!?! In 2015?

Reactions: jgs
I vaguely recall somebody mentioning they essentially get this functionality just with BT audio and using hey google or hey siri or whatever on the phone- but didn't care enough to bookmark it....could probably be turned up with a search.

I tried it. It's a novel approach for a workaround that attempts to pipe any app notifications to the BT profile used for phone calls rather than the A2DP profile normally used for media. This would interrupt any media playing in the car and output the phone sound, but as the other poster mentioned, in practice it sucks. Android bakes too much of that functionality into the OS and the best you can do on a non-rooted phone is to have the first second or so of the audio clipped. And it wouldn't always revert back to the correct audio after. Not to mention it messed up the bluetooth settings on my phone even after uninstalling the app that I had to track down to fix that would prevent my phone from sending any media across BT.

It was worth investigating the workaround, but having done the legwork, don't bother.

I tried it. It's a novel approach for a workaround that attempts to pipe any app notifications to the BT profile used for phone calls rather than the A2DP profile normally used for media. This would interrupt any media playing in the car and output the phone sound, but as the other poster mentioned, in practice it sucks. Android bakes too much of that functionality into the OS and the best you can do on a non-rooted phone is to have the first second or so of the audio clipped. And it wouldn't always revert back to the correct audio after. Not to mention it messed up the bluetooth settings on my phone even after uninstalling the app that I had to track down to fix that would prevent my phone from sending any media across BT.

It was worth investigating the workaround, but having done the legwork, don't bother.
Sounds like you're saying "don't bother" if you're using Android, right? I'll take your word for it. IMO the analogous iOS functionality ("hey Siri, read my messages") is completely worthwhile. I haven't used other systems to compare, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but it WFM.

Sounds like you're saying "don't bother" if you're using Android, right? I'll take your word for it. IMO the analogous iOS functionality ("hey Siri, read my messages") is completely worthwhile. I haven't used other systems to compare, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but it WFM.

Sorry, yes I should have qualified that on Android it doesn't work well. Glad it works better for you on iOS.

Reactions: jgs