Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That "Obstacle Detected" might be your other door!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had door sensors replaced 3 times now on my Model X (April 2016 delivery), but here's a quick warning for other owners to avoid more serious damage...

I had a passenger closing the rear door at the same time as the front and the doors stopped with an "Obstacle Detected" warning on the touch screen. I told them it's the bad sensors again and to ignore it and just press the button again to open/close the door...but my passenger was standing outside and said "it's not a sensor - the doors actually hit." Otherwise I wouldn't have known from the driver seat.

Only shot one video of this for Tesla Service and will open/close one at a time to prevent more damage, but look out and don't assume it's just the usual bad sensors:

I had a similar issue with my car - not quite as bad as yours - but almost. I was a May delivery. The SC was able to make some door adjustments and they also changed the pinch sensors on the doors - apparently there is a new part which doesn't protrude as much. I don't however recall the sensors alerting - but I think we typically experienced this on door opening when everyone was getting out of the car at the same time. Even after the fix though - my wife still won't allow both doors to be operated at the same time :).

Wow. Sounds like a software adjustment is required to add some mutual exclusivity to the door operations - at least at specific parts of the closing process.

This was my first reaction... Feels like an easy one to slow the FWD until the front door clears. Not as cool looking as "everything closing as once", but would have prevented another trip to the body shop. :(