Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

That very loud and painful "clunk"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes - are we to assume that you experienced this too Zex?

I thinky so. 12V battery showing ~12V to techs (sounds kinda low to me). Fortunately the car coasts really well and I was able to turn into a parking lot and find a spot ~400-500 feet + a couple feet elevation from ~30 mph. Red lettering + the ~5 msgs.

..one of the first 1000 cars.

much better than being rear ended or sideswiped!

Sorry you're having to go through it. and good luck on the replacement pack lottery. :)

Indeed. Here's to hoping St. Patrick brings you a pleasant surprise.

Ya that was my only good thought about it. Maybe they have a prototype S pack they want to lend me

and I was pretty close to home, on flat ground, and ~1 block from work other wise it could have really sucked not having a cell phone. e-mail to Tesla was answered super quick! props there

I am really glad I actually knew what it was when it happened. still a tiny scary and a bit upsetting since I was going to take Wednesday off to go somewhere + Sunday too.

luck of the Irish!
wait a minute, I'm like 50% Ukrainian + other Euro stuff. must be some Irish in there, time for a drink

St. Pack-trick :wink:

fingers crossed.. Visible Tesla shows 10mi rated more at 56% than I had yesterday. looks 'new' to me

poor tow driver last night was scared to load my car (it was in low/low air setting) so he made his boss drive 70 miles to help...I showed up just before his boss and helped them both. he got reamed for having a $250k tow truck and not being able to load a $100k car. The whole tow mode/ e-brake w/ out power is a little odd + I was happy he was worried and didn't want to just thrash it pulling it onto the bed.

yay?

Also known as a "design flaw". Come on Elon, you can do better.

I think they will change it a bit. You don't get to see how it works until the car shuts off, and it is a bit awkward(but not as awkward as having to drive my wife's car, my god!)
well, happy day, I think ...238mi 90% (was 223) maybe it will take >90kW

T13F Battery...:biggrin: (quite a bit noisier contactor, but should take 120kW power)

Last edited:
Argh this just happened to us. P85 #186xx frustrating! Waiting for tow truck.

Sounds like one of the contactors has failed in your battery pack. Tesla should take good care of you. I wish you the best of luck!

- - - Updated - - -

T13F Battery...:biggrin: (quite a bit noisier contactor, but should take 120kW power)

This isn't the rev... Tesla part numbers are of the format XXXXXX-YY-Z, where Z is the revision number. Guessing you put out part of your serial number.

car revived itself...but Tesla still wants to tow it in...will see how things unfold tomorrow.

Sounds like one of the contactors has failed in your battery pack. Tesla should take good care of you. I wish you the best of luck!

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't the rev... Tesla part numbers are of the format XXXXXX-YY-Z, where Z is the revision number. Guessing you put out part of your serial number.

Sounds like one of the contactors has failed in your battery pack.

My understanding is that there are two sorts of failures:

1. A contactor gets "stuck" and won't re-engage when you come back to the car. This is the sort of error that has occurred when the owner returns to his car in the morning and there are a bunch of warnings.
2. Electrical impedance is detected by the BMS and all power is instantly cut off to protect the rest of the cells. This issue seems to involve acceleration at some level.

I've always thought of the second one being more catastrophic than the first. Is my understanding correct based on what those of you that have had the issue have experienced?

Last edited:
new battery pack...I should have checked what pack I had before...anyone know by VIN?

My understanding is that there are two sorts of failures:

1. A contactor gets "stuck" and won't re-engage when you come back to the car. This is the sort of error that has occurred when the owner returns to his car in the morning and there are a bunch of warnings.
2. Electrical impedance is detected by the BMS and all power is instantly cut off to protect the rest of the cells. This issue seems to involve acceleration at some level.

I've always thought of the second one being more catastrophic than the first. Is my understanding correct based on what those of you that have had the issue have experienced?