Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 100,000 Mile Club: beyond the 100K barrier in your Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
My 2013 S is now at 91,000+ miles. Range anxiety? Ha. I've got warranty anxiety. With every mile, I think about the extended warranty running out. I know, it's silly, but there it is. It's frustrating: I need to go on a big trip next week, but I am renting a car (a... a... gulp... an ICE!) instead of adding 2400 miles to my S. Total bummer. Nothing beats the S's nav on a long trip.

I'm curious: how many 100K+ Club members are out there? Tell me how much you've had to pay for any ongoing maintenance. Tell me your stories. Tell me that you haven't had your MCU needing replacement, or other expensive item.

I didn’t get the extended warranty, so I’ve been in the same stressed “out of warranty” condition for 25,000 miles. Since my warranty expired I’ve had:

• From passenger door handle fail (Tesla replaced as a courtesy)
  • MCU fail (Tesla replaced as a courtesy)
  • Right-rear door handle fail (I rebuilt with the rebuild kit from EVtuning.com)
  • Left-rear door handle fail (again, fixed myself)
  • Onboard charger fail ($2,300 repair)
Thus far, I’ve come out ahead over the price of the warranty but only because of Tesla’s good will.

Personally, even with these issues, I wouldn’t rent an ICE instead of taking the Tesla. Enjoy the car. If it’s going to break it's going to break.

Personally, even with these issues, I wouldn’t rent an ICE instead of taking the Tesla. Enjoy the car. If it’s going to break it's going to break.

Thanks for the reply. Normally I’d agree about the ICE rental (if this were a leisure trip I’d for sure take the S, but it’s business). I don’t have any time for any problems to arise and I’m trying to conserve the last 8000-some-odd-miles. Car’s overdue for its annual maintenance as well (which is an 800-mile round trip to Denver—thanks auto dealer lobby in NM!) So ICE it is.

If I'd known we were going to have a club, I wouldn't have sold my first S at 80,000+ miles, but I can try again. I've got 75,000 on second S and 10,000 on the 3, so give me time.

They're all a joy to drive. Got to check out a new owner's 3 this morning at church. (That's what church is for, right?)

My 2013 S is now at 91,000+ miles. Range anxiety? Ha. I've got warranty anxiety. With every mile, I think about the extended warranty running out. I know, it's silly, but there it is. It's frustrating: I need to go on a big trip next week, but I am renting a car (a... a... gulp... an ICE!) instead of adding 2400 miles to my S. Total bummer. Nothing beats the S's nav on a long trip.

I'm curious: how many 100K+ Club members are out there? Tell me how much you've had to pay for any ongoing maintenance. Tell me your stories. Tell me that you haven't had your MCU needing replacement, or other expensive item.
Late 2013 P85+ with 90k miles. It's for sale (see sig) but I had to drive cross country (2,200 miles) last week. Left the Tesla at home and took the Subaru. Wanted to keep miles down and help re-sale.

Just traded in my 2014 Model S at 112K miles, max charge was down 4.5%.

Traded for a Model 3. Maybe I can get it to 100K miles too over the next 4 years.

@evp I'm curious what price they offered you for the S trade-in. Would you be comfortable sharing here or in PM? At some point I may trade mine in, though I'm leaning on getting another S (my wife's getting a 3 at some point).

My 2014 MS is over 268,000 km (168.000 miles).

No problems after warranty. No extended warranty. All the little problems were taken care of before the warranty expired at 80,000 km. Going to have service look at a ‘check wheel sensors’ issue on monday.

I bring the car in for annual service. No matter there are many miles between service visits. Battery has lost about 10% of range; Supercharging is a bit slower than it used to be, because it levels off earlier. For example at 50% I get about 70kW, used to be >100. For this reason we take the newer MX with the 100 battery for longer distance trips.

Mine's a 2014 S85 (built late Q3) with 94.5k miles. A few issues here and there but in regards to ongoing maintenance I've paid very little so far (except for tires). Blew through the bumper-to-bumper warranty, didn't opt for the Extended Service Agreement given how quickly I'd run out with the number of miles I'm putting on. Under warranty I've had the MCU replaced and 12V + main pack replaced. Also the drive unit which everyone had issues on with the milling noise.

My 4-year ownership write here for all the ups and downs:
2018.09.30: And 4 Years Later

I'll likely hit 100k either by end of year or early next. This car's a keeper.

106k on mine now. Since 50k I've had the 12v battery replaced and three door handles (myself). Front half shafts need to be done now.

Still on both original drive units.

116k now. Hit a really deep pothole and blew the corner off my radiator this weekend. Broke some of the plastic supports around it as well. It took all day today to get a hold of Tesla for parts. $650+tax and 2 weeks, ugh.

I also need to figure out how to fill/bleed the cooling system now that it's been drained. The service manual says I need the Toolbox software, but of course I don't have that...

I have a 2013 model s 60 with 117,000 miles. About 11.3% loss on my battery pack

Overall I am very happy with the car. Runs great and even with the range losses it’s still goes far enough for my needs. I think it will easily go another 100,000 miles and then I’ll look into whatever battery upgrades Tesla offers or maybe I’ll buy another Tesla

Reactions: outdoors
Wanted to add a little more to make a point

Yes my screens did leak and make a mess of goo last year. Both failed- the big one in the center and the instrument cluster in front of the driver and I spent almost 2000 bucks fixing both.

But I also have saved over 20,000 in gas and avoided at least 3-4 sets of brake pads because of the regenerative braking. Also no oil changes, no timing belts, spark plugs, etc. South Florida gives EVs free use of the express lanes. I could be as much as 35,000 dollars ahead of the game in savings. At 200-300k the car may even break even. So I’m not too concerned about things breaking. Over the life of the car I’m saving lots of money