Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The .48* updates haver broken TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to retract what I said before.
Now that I've been driving a few thousand Km with 48.12.1 I have to say that the disadvantages of the new behaviour are really annoying and probably overcoming the possible added safety.
The fact is that you have to be super-aware that he speed will be reduced after jerking the steering wheel and immediately take control of the speed again; while many time you jerk the steering wheel because of some unexpected circumstance, and in such an instance your focus is on the unexpected circumstance itself, and not on the speed control.
So I've changed side, and now I'm a naysayer to this new "feature".

I have to retract what I said before.
Now that I've been driving a few thousand Km with 48.12.1 I have to say that the disadvantages of the new behaviour are really annoying and probably overcoming the possible added safety.
The fact is that you have to be super-aware that he speed will be reduced after jerking the steering wheel and immediately take control of the speed again; while many time you jerk the steering wheel because of some unexpected circumstance, and in such an instance your focus is on the unexpected circumstance itself, and not on the speed control.
So I've changed side, and now I'm a naysayer to this new "feature".

Thank you for following up with this post. Those of us that drive 100+ mile daily commutes and have to take over AP because auto lane change is too slow or inconsiderate for driving conditions have found this new behavior to be an actual safety hazard not a safety feature!!

Thank you for following up with this post. Those of us that drive 100+ mile daily commutes and have to take over AP because auto lane change is too slow or inconsiderate for driving conditions have found this new behavior to be an actual safety hazard not a safety feature!!
I always disengage with the stalk and if I'm disengaging with the steering wheel, it's usually because I'm doing a more evasive maneuver. However, if I was in the habit of disengaging with the steering wheel, especially as a heavy TACC user, I could see how this change would be annoying. I guess for me coming from a 2013 MS with only cruise that didn't do any of this I was trained to use the lever only, so now I rarely disengage AP with steering unless it's a defensive move. I also never use TACC... basically AP or nothing.. Having read through all of your responses I could see how this change would be very annoying if I used AP and got used to falling back to TACC.
However, from the lens of a new Tesla user (this is their first Tesla) I could see how the safer methodology for them would be how it's currently designed. That's probably why they did it... all the new first time owners buying M3's or used MS's that aren't used to AP... I suppose the thought process in this design change was intended to error on the side of safety rather than usability.

I always disengage with the stalk and if I'm disengaging with the steering wheel, it's usually because I'm doing a more evasive maneuver. However, if I was in the habit of disengaging with the steering wheel, especially as a heavy TACC user, I could see how this change would be annoying. I guess for me coming from a 2013 MS with only cruise that didn't do any of this I was trained to use the lever only, so now I rarely disengage AP with steering unless it's a defensive move. I also never use TACC... basically AP or nothing.. Having read through all of your responses I could see how this change would be very annoying if I used AP and got used to falling back to TACC.
However, from the lens of a new Tesla user (this is their first Tesla) I could see how the safer methodology for them would be how it's currently designed. That's probably why they did it... all the new first time owners buying M3's or used MS's that aren't used to AP... I suppose the thought process in this design change was intended to error on the side of safety rather than usability.
New users have TACC which slows down when there is a car in front of you. There is still no need to change the maximum speed.

New users have TACC which slows down when there is a car in front of you. There is still no need to change the maximum speed.
Not if they're expecting the car to completely disengage from AP into manual. If I was new to the car, this is how I'd expect it to behave if I moved the steering wheel (completely disengage)... If it kept moving forward at a rapid pace after I thought I disengaged, it could lead to an accident... particularly dangerous for stationary objects in the road when the car is moving at 50+MPH, which AP doesn't do well with.

Honestly the best way to handle this would've been to make this behavior a setting that you can toggle. After the update set everyone to the behavior now and let folks who want it to work like you all do (for good reason) go in and re-enable it... then that would present a popup explaining exactly what the user just enabled, etc and ask them to agree so there's no confusion for the driver. Best of both worlds and Tesla gets a CYA in the process. ;)

If it's any consolation - those of us that unload our AP1's for the alleged "WAY better" AP2's are receiving our class action settlement checks ... albeit a pittance. Shoulda kept it simple & stayed w/ AP1.

20190108_135656-1.jpg

Pretty sad - nearly the 1st in our area - 2016, to get AP2 - but its not working at all - & months later, still not on par with AP1. Sounds bad - but it's sickeningly vindicating to hear others corroborating our experience. I'm sure it'll be better sometime down the road - but i feel your frustration.

• Disagree
Reactions: diplomat33
If I do have to disengage because of a lane splitting motorcyclist (meaning suddenly), I just long pull the autopilot stalk after engaging autosteer to bring it back up to the offset speed.

Thanks for this reminder - I still dislike the new TACC behavior, but this tip at least makes it bearable.

(I also have a 60 mile round trip to west LA, so this is a lifesaver!!)

Update: As of 2019.5.15 TACC behavior is back to "normal" meaning Tesla reversed the change and TACC no longer resets to whatever speed you were going when you disengage autosteer... WHOOHOO!!!!

I really hope Tesla keeps it this way...

Jeff

Finally received 2019.8.3 (after 3 months of no software updates).

TACC IS NOW UNBROKEN “fixed”!!!! Back to the way it was keeping the set speed when taking control back from EAP. Thank you for listening Tesla
Not to look a gift horse in the mouth.... But I'm assuming once again that they did not mention it in the release notes? This is a major change in behavior of a feature that affects safety. grrr......