Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The aerodynamics are weird

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worst area in the state for those guys. I coated the front end of a '70 Plymouth many years ago in that area. I was slow to clean them off. Stripped the black out paint on my grille as clean as a whistle. For years I used vaseline on front end and painted mirrors when they were flying. Automotive finishes seem much more resistant to them now.
Love bugs are no joke when it comes to destroying automotive clear-coat. Thankfully during their season is during the time of year we get afternoon rain which certainly assists in cleaning those ****ers off paint. With Tesla paint I take no chances and so my entire front end and mirrors are PPF'd.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Worst area in the state for those guys. I coated the front end of a '70 Plymouth many years ago in that area. I was slow to clean them off. Stripped the black out paint on my grille as clean as a whistle. For years I used vaseline on front end and painted mirrors when they were flying. Automotive finishes seem much more resistant to them now.
Yeah, I've got PPF on the front and also will do a wipe down with this while I charge.

Reactions: XLR82XS
My biggest gripe with the aerodynamics is windshield wiper fluid streaming across the side windows. I guess my previous cars had some sort of channel around the windshield to catch most of that, but I’m guessing that also caused a hit to efficiency.
I had that too and finally they adjusted them to fix the problem. Took 3 service visits and a bunch of yelling, however.

The back getting so dirty is typical of any car with a higher and more vertical back. Y'all driven a hatchback before? A crossover? A station wagon? The Model 3 isn't any of those, but if you look at it that rear area is actually quite tall. Sedans in general are getting these taller back ends and are experiencing the same.

The front bumper cover and windshield are certainly capable of catching bugs, road grime, snow, rain, etc. What's more resilient to that is the hood (err, frunk cover?) since it's nearly horizontal, but this is typical of most sedans

I had that too and finally they adjusted them to fix the problem. Took 3 service visits and a bunch of yelling, however.

Do you know how they did this? I don't know how they could without adding or removing parts.

ICE performance vehicles often get dirty wheels (expecially the fronts) as they use performance brake pads that tend to dust badly. This black dust collects on the spokes and rims.

Tesla does not exhibit this much, as most of their braking is done by regeneration. Very little dust on our wheels.

Dust on the rear is caused by most any car with a spoiler and good aerodynamics. They will create a turbulence at the rear that will cause dust and dirt to accumulate. Usually easy to clean off with a wet soapy cloth.

ICE performance vehicles often get dirty wheels (expecially the fronts) as they use performance brake pads that tend to dust badly. This black dust collects on the spokes and rims.

Tesla does not exhibit this much, as most of their braking is done by regeneration. Very little dust on our wheels.

Dust on the rear is caused by most any car with a spoiler and good aerodynamics. They will create a turbulence at the rear that will cause dust and dirt to accumulate. Usually easy to clean off with a wet soapy cloth.

I just took mine to one of those coin-op places and spent $2 to hose it off with high pressure soapy water. It's not perfect but it looks way better than it did. It'll likely be dirty again in a week so I didn’t want to put a lot of effort into washing it properly.

Once winter is over I'll give it a good wash and it'll look pretty good all summer.