Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The aerodynamics are weird

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way this car is designed is different than anything I've ever driven. I don't think I've hit a single bug yet, and my old car was always crusted in bugs. Also it seems that 90% of the grime it picks up off the road ends up on the back bumper and trunk part (I have to clean that camera a lot) with the rest kind of up the sides. The front and hood are almost completely clean. It's also weird driving in the snow the way the car just pushes it up and over with almost none sticking to the windshield.

I've never driven a car that had this kind of aerodynamics.

I did get mine in September when it was just starting to get cold, so it could be that the bugs are just hibernating and I'll get hit harder once it starts to warm up.

It's just been kind of weird how clean the front/hood of the car stays compared to the back of the car. My other cars all seemed to accumulate an even coat of grime over the winter.

No bugs? Lol.

Attachments

• 7D3198EC-FA3E-418B-8E50-E68F8498DD2F.jpeg
    7D3198EC-FA3E-418B-8E50-E68F8498DD2F.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 91
I have no problem with bugs on my daily commute in the Bay Area, but if I drive up or down I-5 my front bumper is completely covered in bug guts. I do find the dirt to build up more in the back of the car than the front as well.

My trunk lid (top) is a completely different color (so clean!) compared to the actual trunk rear (license plate area etc). The amount of dirt that accumulates there is nuts.

Yes, and I drive across Alligator Alley every two weeks. Pretty sure I single-handedly defeated the Zika virus.

Worst area in the state for those guys. I coated the front end of a '70 Plymouth many years ago in that area. I was slow to clean them off. Stripped the black out paint on my grille as clean as a whistle. For years I used vaseline on front end and painted mirrors when they were flying. Automotive finishes seem much more resistant to them now.

The front hood and windshield of the Model 3 are remarkably bug resistant. Here in Montana during the summer, our other cars get windshield blinded by bugs in ten miles of driving. The Model 3 stays perpetually windshield bug clear. Front grill not so much. It's the slope of the windscreen that helps to repel bugs. Sides and rear of the car accumulate mud and snow more so than other vehicles. Proper mud flaps help.