Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The automatic spoiler should be an option for 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a 70D, which clearly doesn't have the "active" spoiler listed, and frankly, I assumed it meant there was no spoiler at all. But the earlier comments about the brake light integrated into the spoiler got me confused so I checked the My Tesla page and noticed there does appear to be a spoiler present on my vehicle side-shot config picture and in my order config PDF. The pictures are so small however that they don't really reveal much. So does this mean there is a spoiler on the 70D that is the same in appearance as the spoiler on the 90/P90, but the only difference is it does not move at all? Or does it just move up and down to a fixed position when entering exiting the car? I suppose we'll find out for sure once production 70Ds start coming off the line in late summer.

Yes, it is expected that both the 70D and 90D will come with a fixed spoiler. The Design Studio image for the P90D doesn't show the spoiler, because it is retracted to the stowed position.

Either way it looks 90D production could happen anytime so the design is likely already fixed (pun?).
I think the spoiler and attachment are exactly the same with the P and non P. The only difference would be that the P has a motor drive to move it and the non P has some sort of fixed brackets inside.

I would bet if you could find the parts you could 'upgrade' the spoiler later.

The pictures on the website are not correct and TM has admitted this to customers who have asked. Since they haven't made any with the "fixed spoiler", they don't have any pictures of it. It will come with time.
Where did you hear this? From discussions I've had with Tesla, the renders in the Design Studio are correct; have always been correct. And the details of the 90D fixed spoiler are:

"Non-performance Model X includes a stationary spoiler that is fixed at the height of the active spoiler’s visibility (high) setting."

So the 90D spoiler looks indistinguishable from a P90D that is in reverse or travelling at less than 10 mph. The active spoiler lowers itself (but does not retract all the way) at speeds over 45 MPH for better aerodynamics. What it does between 10 MPH and 45 MPH is a mystery (not covered by the manual anyway) but I'm guessing it stays in visibility mode up to 45 MPH.

There's also a setting on the touch panel on the P90D to lock the active spoiler in "extended" position which is the same as "visibility" mode. This is what we're seeing on the trucks.

So in other words, if you've seen a stationary Model X with the spoiler up, that should be exactly what the spoiler looks like on the 90D as it's the same height setting.

- - - Updated - - -

While the "stowed" position does have the greatest visibility, it will never be an option while driving because the rear brake light would be obscured (since it's on the spoiler).
It was my understanding that there were 3 spoiler positions, stowed, low speed and high speed. The fixed position would be at the low speed, which is also the highest visibility (not counting the stowed mode).
Correct, according to my source.

- - - Updated - - -

So does this mean there is a spoiler on the 70D that is the same in appearance as the spoiler on the 90/P90, but the only difference is it does not move at all?
Yes, fixed spoiler on 90D and 70D, fixed at the same height as the P90D spoiler in max visibility mode. Looks just like the renders in the Design Studio and in the pictures we've all seen of the P90D with the spoiler extended. So it's impossible to tell from afar whether the ones on that truck were P90D or 90D. But I think only California 90Ds have VINs. So if there are 90Ds in Tennessee, Elon is going to have some 'splaining to do.

Last edited:
Not always. My 2009 Cayman was the base model (not a Cayman "S") and it had the same adjustable spoiler as the more costly S version.
I think all X cars should have the adjustable rear spoiler, but apparently Tesla doesn't do it that way.

I actually own a Cayman S but that is still considered a lower model in the line up. Cayman GT4 or 911 GT3, Turbo S have fixed spoiler because Porsche wants to make the impression that people who buy these cars are driving on track all the time. Either way for majority of people it's still about the looks.

The 90D spoiler is definitely powered. Not sure details but on parking when the mirrors fold the spoiler goes down.

Yes, it is expected that both the 70D and 90D will come with a fixed spoiler. The Design Studio image for the P90D doesn't show the spoiler, because it is retracted to the stowed position.
I actually own a Cayman S but that is still considered a lower model in the line up. Cayman GT4 or 911 GT3, Turbo S have fixed spoiler because Porsche wants to make the impression that people who buy these cars are driving on track all the time. Either way for majority of people it's still about the looks.

I too can confirm, our 90D has a active spoiler. I watched it getting on the fwy, it went from a horizontal pitch, to a pretty angled pitch when getting up to speed.
Seems to go back to horizontal when slowing down, then a tap of the brakes below 40ish took it horizontal again.
(this was not a scientific study, I was just looking back to confirm that it is in fact active)

• Informative
Reactions: BornToFly
I too can confirm, our 90D has a active spoiler. I watched it getting on the fwy, it went from a horizontal pitch, to a pretty angled pitch when getting up to speed.
Seems to go back to horizontal when slowing down, then a tap of the brakes below 40ish took it horizontal again.
(this was not a scientific study, I was just looking back to confirm that it is in fact active)
Wonder if the 70 will have this feature.

Reactions: gmtom1
Some are speculating that non performance models will still get a fixed spoiler and that us early deliveries just benefited from a moment in time opportunity. I am of the camp that says ALL Model X's will get the active spoiler and that they decided into production to just have the one system.

This is likely all a matter of TM rushing to get the X out and still haven't worked out all of the minor details of the config pages vs. software coding and production details. If the non-P 90s (and 70 models) have the same spoiler as the P90s, parts sourcing and production is much simpler. Plus they still need to have a motor to retract for safety purposes in an automatic car wash machine and certain automatic garages.

It's probably that the P has some additional software that enables the speed-sensitive setting, which the early 90 models are benefiting from accidentally. The oversight may or may not be corrected in a later software update.

My parents just took delivery of their 90D and it does indeed have an active spoiler that you can observe moving to a closed position during auto park or summon. Can't remember which one.

Was also pleasantly surprised that the 90D w/o premium has the automatic doors with just pushing the door button.

Amazing...

My parents just took delivery of their 90D and it does indeed have an active spoiler that you can observe moving to a closed position during auto park or summon. Can't remember which one.

Was also pleasantly surprised that the 90D w/o premium has the automatic doors with just pushing the door button.

Amazing...

Nice, what was the VIN?

Amazing...
Cool thanks! Does it also partially lower at speeds above 45 mph?

This is likely all a matter of TM rushing to get the X out and still haven't worked out all of the minor details of the config pages vs. software coding and production details. If the non-P 90s (and 70 models) have the same spoiler as the P90s, parts sourcing and production is much simpler. Plus they still need to have a motor to retract for safety purposes in an automatic car wash machine and certain automatic garages.

It's probably that the P has some additional software that enables the speed-sensitive setting, which the early 90 models are benefiting from accidentally. The oversight may or may not be corrected in a later software update.
Just got back from my 3rd test drive of the X...I keep forgetting to look at certain things and am usually pressed for time. Today I made sure to check out the SAS and autopark features. I asked about the spoiler on the 75D and the salesperson said in their latest meeting they discussed it and he said it is not "active." It is either up or down--it does not speed-adjust. Seems like earlier versions may have had this feature (corrected with software??) but going forward they will not. It has something to do with the brake light needing to be at a certain height at all times.