Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The automatic spoiler should be an option for 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The automatic spoiler is currently only available for the Model X P90D(L) configuration, where it is included in the base price. Currently, the 90D (and presumable the 70D) comes with a fixed spoiler only. I think the automatic spoiler should be offered as an option for the 90D because:

1. The spoiler increases range with 1.6% (according to Tesla).
  2. There is no “maximum range” configuration for the Model X, only “maximum performance”. Model S has both.
  3. The fixed spoiler will potentially be difficult to clean from snow and ice, especially the rear window beneath the spoiler.
  4. The fixed spoiler might be too fragile for car washes with rotating brushes.
  5. With the spoiler recessed the car looks rather anonymous, which is a good thing when parking on the street.
  6. I think many 90D buyers would be prepared to pay extra for the option (me included), but would not accept the cost of a full P90D(L).

If this option were available I would consider it for depending on cost.

I also accept that P90D owners might feel that, after paying for the P which is a substantial cost, they ought to get a level of exclusivity over those of us choosing the non-P car for what ever reason we make that choice.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest, I think most of your points make a good argument but I for one would like it just because it looks cool :biggrin:

Do we know for sure that the "fixed spoiler" will actually be a spoiler at all? Or will it be more like the Model S--no spoiler or just a small bump on the back?

You make good arguments... but you get so little for the $20,000 upgrade to the "P" that I think it should remain only on there. I mean, the only things you get for that 20k is a bigger motor (1 sec faster to 60), active spoiler, and red brake calipers. That's it!

Do we know for sure that the "fixed spoiler" will actually be a spoiler at all? Or will it be more like the Model S--no spoiler or just a small bump on the back?

When I select the 90D configuration in the Design Studio, it shows a spoiler very similar to the active spoiler in its extended position. It disappears in the illustration when I select the P90D. So it is unlike the spoiler on Model S.

Perhaps a "maximum range" version will be offered in the future in combination with the rumored 100kWh battery?

Spoiler.PNG

Last edited:
I thought it's already an option at @20K. :rolleyes:

More seriously almost all spoilers on cars are fixed so that's not an issue. The only issue is Tesla need to make the fixed spoiler beefier so it will not be too easily damaged accidentally.

Reactions: Fiver
Having a fixed spoiler is a negative for me as well. I agree with you and would prefer no spoiler over a fix spoiler and would pay for an active spoiler depending on how much it was. Since I have not seen a Model X with a fixed spoiler it is hard to know weather I will like it or not.

The pictures on the website are not correct and TM has admitted this to customers who have asked. Since they haven't made any with the "fixed spoiler", they don't have any pictures of it. It will come with time.

As a P90D buyer, I don't really care if it becomes an option for the 90D. If they give people the faster/more powerful motor for free, then I'd care.

I would agree. I initially configured my X as a P90D but before it finalized yesterday I changed to a 90D. The only item I will miss is the movable spoiler but to me I couldn't justify to myself the $20K extra. I too hope they bring this as a future option with the 100D and I hope they do this before mine goes into production and I will gladly pay the $500 change fee plus the up-charge.

My concern with the fixed spoiler is that for it to be functionally the best the position might block the visibility out the back. In lower speeds I would want it out of the way. Hence an active spoiler makes the most sense.

I cannot really understand why they did not make the spoiler the same other than they were running out of things to entice performance buyers.

My concern with the fixed spoiler is that for it to be functionally the best the position might block the visibility out the back. In lower speeds I would want it out of the way. Hence an active spoiler makes the most sense.

At lower speeds, the spoiler is at a position where it offers the best visibility (thin line across the back window). This is the same position as the fixed spoiler. As soon as you unlock/turn on the car, the spoiler reveals itself (the brake lights are mounted there). Therefore, you can never drive with the spoiler in the stowed position. I guess someone may figure out how to hack it or Tesla may decide to allow it in the future.

I would think that a fixed spoiler would be much more simple and cheaper to implement (simply mount it on permanent posts). I would be surprised if they offer the 90D with the same motorized spoiler and SW disable it.

At lower speeds, the spoiler is at a position where it offers the best visibility (thin line across the back window). This is the same position as the fixed spoiler. As soon as you unlock/turn on the car, the spoiler reveals itself (the brake lights are mounted there). Therefore, you can never drive with the spoiler in the stowed position. I guess someone may figure out how to hack it or Tesla may decide to allow it in the future.

I would think that a fixed spoiler would be much more simple and cheaper to implement (simply mount it on permanent posts). I would be surprised if they offer the 90D with the same motorized spoiler and SW disable it.
The stowed position would offer the best visibility no? No obstruction at all.

And if the fixed spoiler is set at the least obstructive position while in the up position, it will be a compromise to its usefulness at high speed where it would be most useful.

So I can see where if you have a fixed spoiler, they will pick the compromise position. Hopefully that only has a few miles range difference (I think it was only supposed to be ~2% anyway?).

Porsche is one company that is known to use spoiler to identify model levels. It will never let customers to "upgrade" just that option but not the model even though Porsche has an option list of hundreds of items. Another one of these indentifiers is the red caliper for higher models like in Tesla cars. I think Tesla has learned a few tricks from Porsche. Incidentally most times Porsche has retractable spoiler on lower level models but fixed, and more prominente, spoiler on top models.

The stowed position would offer the best visibility no? No obstruction at all.

And if the fixed spoiler is set at the least obstructive position while in the up position, it will be a compromise to its usefulness at high speed where it would be most useful.

So I can see where if you have a fixed spoiler, they will pick the compromise position. Hopefully that only has a few miles range difference (I think it was only supposed to be ~2% anyway?).

the down position blocks the lower 5 inches or so of the rear window, so it is obstructing.

I would think the fixed spoiler would be in the maximum range position, not the maximum visibility position.

While the "stowed" position does have the greatest visibility, it will never be an option while driving because the rear brake light would be obscured (since it's on the spoiler).
It was my understanding that there were 3 spoiler positions, stowed, low speed and high speed. The fixed position would be at the low speed, which is also the highest visibility (not counting the stowed mode).

Lip type spoiler probably is the best one for this imo. Less chance to get damaged in the up postion. It will accomodate center brake light too. Either way it looks 90D production could happen anytime so the design is likely already fixed (pun?).

I ordered a 70D, which clearly doesn't have the "active" spoiler listed, and frankly, I assumed it meant there was no spoiler at all. But the earlier comments about the brake light integrated into the spoiler got me confused so I checked the My Tesla page and noticed there does appear to be a spoiler present on my vehicle side-shot config picture and in my order config PDF. The pictures are so small however that they don't really reveal much. So does this mean there is a spoiler on the 70D that is the same in appearance as the spoiler on the 90/P90, but the only difference is it does not move at all? Or does it just move up and down to a fixed position when entering exiting the car? I suppose we'll find out for sure once production 70Ds start coming off the line in late summer.

Porsche is one company that is known to use spoiler to identify model levels. It will never let customers to "upgrade" just that option but not the model even though Porsche has an option list of hundreds of items... Incidentally most times Porsche has retractable spoiler on lower level models but fixed, and more prominente, spoiler on top models.
Not always. My 2009 Cayman was the base model (not a Cayman "S") and it had the same adjustable spoiler as the more costly S version.
I think all X cars should have the adjustable rear spoiler, but apparently Tesla doesn't do it that way.