Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Automobile 2.0: Chevrolet Bolt EV vs Nissan LEAF vs Tesla Model 3 Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully when the short range Model 3 comes out, they'll do just that. Plan a 500 mile route with all three vehicles and let the on-board route planners figure out the best routes using the available fast charging infrastructure. That will paint a very clear picture of the big differences between the vehicles (especially since the Bolt doesn't have navigation). :eek:
It does if you have a smartphone. CarPlay and Android Auto are really useful. Not enough to buy a Bolt over a Model 3 though!

Hopefully when the short range Model 3 comes out, they'll do just that. Plan a 500 mile route with all three vehicles and let the on-board route planners figure out the best routes using the available fast charging infrastructure. That will paint a very clear picture of the big differences between the vehicles (especially since the Bolt doesn't have navigation). :eek:
But...the Bolt does have Carplay and Android Auto....and a heated steering steel.

Edit: ^^...what he said.

You are not thinking this through. A 400 mile trip is 200 miles there and back. People who buy a Bolt or LEAF are taking a Tesla or ICE car for these trips. How about a trip 100 miles each way ? Can a Bolt do it at 75 mph with A/C ? How about in the winter ?

I'm still saying there aren't all that many people taking those trips, by the numbers, or they're so uncommon they could easily rent a car for it. Most people who say "I need the range" are lying to others and themselves, just like the people who claim "I need AWD" when snow tires are what they should be buying for their urban winter driving, or buy an SUV because "I need to tow!" when they borrow a boat once every two summers.

Are there people who legitimately need these things? Yes. But most of them are just too cowardly to admit they just want to buy the thing because they like it. Or they're brainwashed and stupid.

I'm still saying there aren't all that many people taking those trips, by the numbers, or they're so uncommon they could easily rent a car for it. Most people who say "I need the range" are lying to others and themselves, just like the people who claim "I need AWD" when snow tires are what they should be buying for their urban winter driving, or buy an SUV because "I need to tow!" when they borrow a boat once every two summers.

Are there people who legitimately need these things? Yes. But most of them are just too cowardly to admit they just want to buy the thing because they like it. Or they're brainwashed and stupid.
I do need the range. My Leaf is great most of the time but a few times it’s been a pain in the butt. Range anxiety is real.

Sure, I could rent a car twice a year for our family trips, and multiple other times throughout the year when we take off for the weekend to visit friends. But that’s more expense, and more inconvenience, going out of my way to pick up and drop off the car... I want to drive my own car.

...and then the fact that since I got my Leaf 18 months ago I hate driving my wife’s ICE car. I wouldn’t want to rent a noisy ICE for our long trips. I am ready for an EV for that (plus autopilot) and Tesla is my only option.

I don’t NEED the Model 3, or any new car, but if I’m going to buy a new car it’s going to be one that can be our primary car and be a car I actually want. Otherwise I’d just consider a slightly used accord or something when my wife’s car needed to be replaced.

I do need the range. My Leaf is great most of the time but a few times it’s been a pain in the butt. Range anxiety is real.

Sure, I could rent a car twice a year for our family trips, and multiple other times throughout the year when we take off for the weekend to visit friends. But that’s more expense, and more inconvenience, going out of my way to pick up and drop off the car... I want to drive my own car.

...and then the fact that since I got my Leaf 18 months ago I hate driving my wife’s ICE car. I wouldn’t want to rent a noisy ICE for our long trips. I am ready for an EV for that (plus autopilot) and Tesla is my only option.

I don’t NEED the Model 3, or any new car, but if I’m going to buy a new car it’s going to be one that can be our primary car and be a car I actually want. Otherwise I’d just consider a slightly used accord or something when my wife’s car needed to be replaced.

Totally fair. I don't need a new car, I just want one. I don't *need* the range but I'll use it a fair bit because I skydive and the dropzones aren't particularly close, but my commute is only 22mi round trip (in heavy, soul sucking traffic where I wish ill upon strangers).

As for the car itself… I won't buy one with front wheel drive, one without full stop-and-go adaptive cruise control, one that looks like a weirdo derp pod, one that's slower than my current car (0-60 in 5.9), or any number of other immediate "nope" situations. That leaves a pretty small list for me (basically the A4 Prestige trim, and the Model 3), and I'm in a place in my life where I can afford to buy the version I actually want, so I basically will (I actually want AWD but I'm not willing to wait for it. This wait is killing me as it is).

Reactions: landis and McHoffa
My wife has been driving a SUV for the last 20+ years. Whenever she replaces one SUV for another, I encourage her to consider a non-SUV vehicle because "honey, you're really not using the SUV for what it can do". Her answer is always the same - "So? I am buying the SUV because I like that SUV". And I say Yes Ma'am!

I find car reviews and comparisons to be somewhat educational. But I have yet to buy a top rated car because of the score it's received. So, I welcome the reviews and comparisons, but I'm gonna buy the car I get attached to - damn the reviews.

Seems to me a comparison between a city car with a no-range anxiety battery, a city car with a range anxiety battery, and an all-around car useful for both local and long-distance travel and doesn't look like

ECTRP.gif

Motor Trend found the Model 3's rear seats the most uncomfortable of the 3 cars. No wai!

I must have missed where they said the Model 3 had an uncomfortable back seat...

Though someone did seem to think the Bolt's front seats were uncomfortable:

"As for seat comfort in general, Brooks found the Tesla’s and Leaf’s front seats more comfortable than the Bolt’s—the Chevy’s bottom cushion is too narrow; its little side bolsters cut into his thighs."

I would need to rent a car for at least six long weekends per year, which gets expensive quickly, especially when renting Teslas because I don't want to drive a fossil. The annual rental fees over the course of a five year car loan would be more than the cost of upgrading to a long range battery.

I've been doing these road trips in a 2012 Passat TDI, which has awesome rear seats for adults. I've been disappointed with the rear seats in the S, so my hope is that the Model 3's rear seats are an improvement over that, but I don't expect them to be as good as the Passat. For road trips, a 6-seat X would be ideal, but that really isn't in the budget.

These long weekend road trips are typically 1,000 miles or more. We frequently travel from DC to Michigan, Ohio and New England. We'd also like to do some cross-country trips in our Model 3. Our Passat has been from DC to Seattle twice and just about everywhere else in between.