Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Automobile 2.0: Chevrolet Bolt EV vs Nissan LEAF vs Tesla Model 3 Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of apples and oranges... Keep in mind that Motor Trend was testing $42,000 and $37,000 automobiles against a Tesla costing $60,000+. Tesla may call it a $35,000 car, but you can't (and probably never will) buy one at that price. Can you name other gas vehicles where a $40,000 car takes an award from cars costing 50% more? Might want to wait for the Audi, BMW, and Mercedes offerings where it will be a more realistic comparison of comparably-priced vehicles.

Bingo. And maybe the won't be as fugly as the Model 3. The Bolt is no looker either, but since you can get one today and pay 50% less than you'd pay for the Model 3, it makes it the actual winner to me.

You're adding your own interpretation of that quote. "Compromised" does not mean "uncomfortable," especially in the context of the article.
Good point, I was almost misled by that characterization. Reading the original, they are talking about the compromise in rear headroom made to give it a slope versus the traditional hatch design of the other vehicles. That's a completely different point from saying the seats are uncomfortable.

Bingo. And maybe the won't be as fugly as the Model 3. The Bolt is no looker either, but since you can get one today and pay 50% less than you'd pay for the Model 3, it makes it the actual winner to me.

I’ll disagree on the looks of the Model 3. While it isn’t as sexy lookin as the Model S, I think it’s attractive.

I’ll certainly agree that the Bolt is a good car for a lot of people. It’s also available now at an attractive price.

For me the Model 3 is better looking than any other car including the S. The Bolt doesn't even come close.

As it is said in this report: I'd have to talk myself into getting a Bolt, I need to talk myself out of paying the premium for the Model 3.

Reactions: T34ME
For me the Model 3 is better looking than any other car including the S. The Bolt doesn't even come close.

As it is said in this report: I'd have to talk myself into getting a Bolt, I need to talk myself out of paying the premium for the Model 3.

Within the "actual products" (excluding Roadster 2, Semi, other future vehicles) Tesla lineup, in my opinion the order of best-looking is:

Model 3 > facelifted S > Roadster > original S > X, aka "Electric Aztek"

Nope. I have a P85D. No way I'd downgrade to the hideous and overpriced Model 3. I'm not even sure why anyone would buy a Model 3 when a CPO Model S is so much better, often at or below the cost of the currently available Model 3s.

Lol. I wouldn't take a brand new fully loaded 100D at the price of a Model 3, if we're being honest. I think the Model 3 is not only better looking, but a better car, at least for me. That's after I test drove a brand new S several times, including an extended test drive for several days, where I was genuinely trying to convince myself to buy one. Maybe if the Model 3 weren't coming I'd have done it, but the 3 fixes most of the things I hate about the S, without introducing much in the way downsides of its own.

If you're happy with your car, that's great.

My bad, MT didn't use the word "uncomfortable", but did give them a fair share of critiquing. Sounds like MT had little issues with the Bolt and Leaf's rear seats.
People intending to use a Model 3 for road tripping with 4+ people (you know, because the Bolt and Leaf can't road trip :rolleyes: ) may be in for a surprise (or their adult passengers, should I say) if they do not test out the seats before purchase. Then again maybe MT's observations are just a bunch of nitpicks. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks when "normal" people get their 3's?
Both my wife and I found the front and back seats of the Model 3 to be both comfortable and reasonably roomy--better than our Model S in some ways... but it's a subjective thing. While I found the back seats in the Bolt to be surprisingly roomy and tolerable from a comfort standpoint, the front seats kinda suck and would mean that I wouldn't use the Bolt for any long distance driving. The seats in the new Leaf seemed a little more comfortable than those in my old 2012 SV, but I didn't have enough time in the car to really get a feel for them. Again, seat comfort is subjective and I think people should wait until they've actually sat in a car to pass judgement.

• Informative
Reactions: 9erDog and DR61
Lol. I wouldn't take a brand new fully loaded 100D at the price of a Model 3, if we're being honest. I think the Model 3 is not only better looking, but a better car, at least for me. That's after I test drove a brand new S several times, including an extended test drive for several days, where I was genuinely trying to convince myself to buy one. Maybe if the Model 3 weren't coming I'd have done it, but the 3 fixes most of the things I hate about the S, without introducing much in the way downsides of its own.
See? We're symbiotic...you aren't creating demand for the car I want, and vice versa...but after almost 5 years as the owner of Teslas, I'm pretty sure my next car won't be a Tesla, so your pathway to Model 3 nirvana will have no interruptions from me.

See? We're symbiotic...you aren't creating demand for the car I want, and vice versa...but after almost 5 years as the owner of Teslas, I'm pretty sure my next car won't be a Tesla, so your pathway to Model 3 nirvana will have no interruptions from me.

My immediate next car will (if they can ever build the god damned things at a reasonable rate) be a Tesla, but after that we'll see what the market is like. On paper a Porsche Mission E might be a plausible purchase 4-5 years from now. I'm not emotionally tied to Tesla, they just happen to offer what I want currently, or close to it (I wish the model 3 were a bit smaller, for example)

My immediate next car will (if they can ever build the god damned things at a reasonable rate) be a Tesla, but after that we'll see what the market is like. On paper a Porsche Mission E might be a plausible purchase 4-5 years from now. I'm not emotionally tied to Tesla, they just happen to offer what I want currently, or close to it (I wish the model 3 were a bit smaller, for example)

I think we're on the same page. The Porsche definitely has caught my eye.

The comparisons of regen/deceleration rates, cabin noise, ride harshness, and AP2-vs-ProPilot are all quite enlightening.

I would've hoped the Model 3 would do better on cabin noise -- although it's not entirely unexpected given the M3's firmer suspension. 18's might help some too.

View attachment 264603
@jsmay311, ever since I read this article it's been bugging me. I want Tesla to trounce everyone! Why can't the M3 dial up more regenerative braking force in the GUI? Is it battery longevity concerns so they limit the kW? I would also expect that the Model 3 has more noise dampening material at $60K and should be lowest dB? Wonder how much quieter the 18" wheels would be?

Likewise with deceleration rates -- but it's probably unavoidable with RWD vs FWD.

View attachment 264602

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah the timeline is pretty crappy for me since no matter what I'm buying a new car in the 6 months (and hopefully closer to 2-3 if Tesla can follow through on the delivery estimate…), and I'm not going to take the kick in the balls of changing cars that soon. But I'll keep the 3 for ~4 years and then it'll be time for something different.

Reactions: Eclectic
At 85,000$ the Porsche is more comparable to an S than a 3. In the price range of the 3 there is no real EV-competitor at present. Hopefully there will be an EV BMW 3 series, Audi A4 series and Merc in 4-5 years. It'll mean the EV market has come of age.

At 85,000$ the Porsche is more comparable to an S than a 3. In the price range of the 3 there is no real EV-competitor at present. Hopefully there will be an EV BMW 3 series, Audi A4 series and Merc in 4-5 years. It'll mean the EV market has come of age.

I can't speak for others but I'm ok with going into the Mission E / Model S price range if I think the car is worth it, I just don't think the S justifies the price, at least for me.

That said, if Audi released a BEV version of the A4 that looks just like a normal A4 and had at least 250 miles of range and AWD, with traffic jam assist, it would get my attention.

Likewise, an electric version of the Golf R… with a god damned sunroof, VW! I don't know why they won't sell it with a sunroof in the US but it cost them a sale back in 2015.