TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The case for 120V 15A (12A) charging

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Rlhm3, May 30, 2018.

1. Rlhm3

Rlhm3 Member

I found this table somewhere on the tesla.com site and then made my own version (see second screenshot) specifically for the Model 3 and km/h taking into account the cheaper time-of-use pricing we have in Ontario from 7pm - 7am on weekdays.

17.7km of range per hour is actually pretty good in my opinion from a plain old wall plug; good enough for most daily commutes anyway.

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 11.47.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 11.49.36 PM.png

• Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. 23.skidoo

23.skidoo Member

I may be wrong about this, but I think the Tesla chart is for 15A breaker on a 240V circuit, so a standard wall plug would be 120V, about half the power output.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  3. cybergates

cybergates Member

#3 cybergates, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    [​IMG] https://shop.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/CAR_ACCESSORIES/MODEL_3/CHARGING_ADAPTERS/NEMA_Gen2.png

The last 2 here are 120v. My primary charger is a relocated 14/30 outlet (socket for electric dryer option that was never used). I get exactly 17/mi/hr as the chart says.

i just bought a 5-20 adapter for a gen 1 charger as the conference I'm at only has that option. Though looking at this chart it seems it's not really giving me much more than 5-15 (though on a 5-15 today I was getting 4/mi hr (gen 1 charger). Anyone find a 5-20 helped a lot more than a 5-15?

• Informative x 1
  4. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

#4 03DSG, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Agree. Chart is for a 15 amp breaker on a 240 V circuit using the Tesla wall connector. Not a 15 amp 120 V circuit.

• Like x 1
  5. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

I've charged a few times on 120v 12amp for my S, and I usually get 6km per hour. 3 would get 8 at the most I would think.

• Like x 1
  6. johndorian

johndorian Member

Consider also the worse charging efficiency on 120V it will end up costing you more.

• Like x 1
  7. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

On a 5-15, my S will report 3-4MPH... I calculated it at around 3.5 and the voltage differences at certain locations will make it round up or down on th display.

On a 5-20 (we have 'em at work), the car reports 5, and that's indeed about what I get.

8. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

Even if your math was right, this is not specific to Canada.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

In Ontario in winter you’re not going to get 3 miles/ hr plugged into 120V 15A overnight. In fact you’ll be lucky to not lose range.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Canadian and US electrical systems are virtually identical. It applies in Canada.

Depends if you start with a warm battery or not. A couple of years ago, I was on a road trip and plugged in to a 120 volt outlet at a hotel as soon as I got there. I had just pulled off the highway after a long drive, and it was well below freezing. I was hoping just to sort of maintain my charge overnight but was surprised to find in the morning that I had increased my charge by 3 miles (5 km) per hour.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

I think he is referencing the post being on the Canada page

Also - for the OP: I have my HPWC on my barn - shared on Plugshare. I use my UMC and NEMA 5-15R adapter in my garage, when I come home, every night after work. I only need 40-50 KM, so I leave every day fully, or nearly fully charged. I really only use my HPWC after or before a long trip

• Informative x 2
  12. Bluewish

Bluewish Member

From the Tesla table, if you change mph to km, the numbers will look right. I got 5 km/h for my X.

13. Whisky

Whisky Member

I'm not a daily driver. While I wait for the condo to install a charger, I've been able to scrape some 120v 15amp power from plugs in the public side of the parking lot. It's not terrible. I get 1% per hour, 24% all day, it's not terrible during warmer months.

14. Munch

Munch Member

Charging the 3 on a 120v 12A right now, getting 7km/h.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. docherf

docherf Member

The OP's chart is for 240v. Title says 120v. I think that's where the confusion starts.

• Like x 1
  16. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

There's a number of reasons why the minimum really isn't enough. The batteries can be cold in the winter time (as many others have posted) or hot in the summer (which drains the battery in the attempt to get the pack to an ideal temperature), you will have a net drain if you use things like pre-conditioning, you short change yourself if you do any driving that exceeds the amount the car charges overnight and you limit your ability to be flexible if you are dependent upon a range close to that overnight threshold. Obviously, you may be limited to what you can do depending upon where you live as well as whether you are in close proximity to some kind of secondary charger or not.

There's a number of posts in this forum that relates to charging. I'd advise you read them before purchasing.

17. Rlhm3

Rlhm3 Member

Thank you all for clarifying this for me! It did seem too good to be true. I only have a 100A panel so will go with 30A for my charger. Here's my adjusted charging rate table for 120V @ 15A:
    120v 15a.jpg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. Rlhm3

Rlhm3 Member

I took delivery on Thursday and still don't have my 30A (22A) plug installed so I've just been charging with a standard household 15A(12A) and getting better than expected 8km per hour according to the iPhone app. :)
    8km per hour.png

• Like x 2
  19. pmich80

pmich80 Between U and me I'm giddy waitin' for the Model ≡

i tried using my parents 120V 15A socket in their garage but I was only getting 3km/hour. I was a bit disappointed to not get 6 or 7km.

20. yuhong

yuhong Member

Speaking of which, it is probably worth noting that the CEC requires a 20A and not a 15A outlet for EV charging since at least 2012.