Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The D thread Australia & New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has also changed to Late September. So frustrating! Still no VIN either, not that it matters when your car is still 6 months away!

Well for what it is worth, at least the Aust Tesla Model S order page for the Ds are now indicating delivery in October. I guess being in the queue earlier means we are now locked in for September albeit late.

It really annoyed me that my MyTesla page said Late September but that the public order page said September. It meant something was out of date.

Have you guys noticed that the Alcantara headliner is thrown in as standard on the Ds whereas everyone else has to fork out around 1900 bucks for that option?

i am actually tempted to get the Premium Interior Package for a whopping 5k. Can someone please talk some sense into me...

--------

Hey I just got bumped to Late October....

I honestly don't understand..... What has happened???

Last edited:
Have you guys noticed that the Alcantara headliner is thrown in as standard on the Ds whereas everyone else has to fork out around 1900 bucks for that option?

i am actually tempted to get the Premium Interior Package for a whopping 5k. Can someone please talk some sense into me...

--------

Hey I just got bumped to Late October....

I honestly don't understand..... What has happened???

Unfortunately things slip during production - I think the RHD P85Ds will also be going into production around the same time as the Model X? That might affect delivery.

It would be worth reaching out to Tesla and asking the question. If they don't know I'm sure they can ask someone at HQ.

They just modified the order page so that EVERY order is for a dual engine car !!!

The lowest is something called a 70D. If this is the case, they must be on track to deliver the P85D's, otherwise they would be able to deliver nothing.....an unlikely development

I think we might get these delivers on track

It feels like the gestation time for a baby....I ordered 1 Dec, and MIGHT get delivered in September -- 9 month wait

Good luck to all of us ..... Rich

Not actually true. S 85 is still available. Click on each of the motor variations and it does change. It does appear that they are discouraging single motor though. Don't know why. More than enough power from my s85 and we don't have snow to speak of.

Higher profit margin on the dual motor?

Last edited:
Clearly a way of raising prices (average ASP is $10K+ higher), and therefore higher margins (they make their own motors). The point is simple however, they must be able to make a RHD dual motor variant, or this would be quite stupid thing to do.....and Musk is anything but stupid. I think this bodes well for the P85D coming ready in RHD territories.....finally

Since my test drive I have been waiting for an asset sale to complete before committing to a P85D. So have been on tender hooks watching exchange rates and product changes for that last month. Todays changes have jacked up the price for my planned configuration due to the change in packages. It was P85D with tech package to get Auto pilot and power lift hatch. Now to get the power lift I would have to order the premium interior for a massive $6400 which includes the alcantara which the P85D already includes. The Premium interior is the same price for the 85D which does not include the alcantara as standard. There is scant info on what you get for $6400 for the premium interior, for the P85D that effectively gets you power lift, some led's and a few other bits of leather. Some aspects of the way Tesla go about things is frankly amateurish.

I have to say that the "extended leather" in my car is nice but really is 1/2mm thick leather glued to a plastic substrate. Having dismantled the dash, it is really hard to see how they justify the price of stuff. I think a lot of it is simply what they believe the market will bear. I have little doubt that the same applies to other manufacturers as well.
Regarding wheels, for instance, there is no structural or materials difference between the available wheel styles, but of course the price differences are astronomical. There is no material justification for the price of the turbine wheel vs the "standard" wheel. There may be some difference in tyres, but even there, one has to question how some of the astronomical prices are justified.

I have to say that the "extended leather" in my car is nice but really is 1/2mm thick leather glued to a plastic substrate. Having dismantled the dash, it is really hard to see how they justify the price of stuff. I think a lot of it is simply what they believe the market will bear. I have little doubt that the same applies to other manufacturers as well.
Regarding wheels, for instance, there is no structural or materials difference between the available wheel styles, but of course the price differences are astronomical. There is no material justification for the price of the turbine wheel vs the "standard" wheel. There may be some difference in tyres, but even there, one has to question how some of the astronomical prices are justified.

Yes Dborn. It looks like every now and then Tesla changes around the packaging. I am happy that my next gen seats apply to the back seat as well whereas now it doesn't and is accordingly cheaper.

I was tempted to get the interior packaging but was put off by the price. But am happy that our tech package includes the auto boot. Not tempted to get the new interior packaging anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

For the Model S or an ICE, motors or engine are irrelevant to the orientation of where the steering is. It's the rack and pinion system that has to be a variant that would dictate if it's an LHD or RHD...

They're having RHD demos on the D in the UK

Unless the rack and pinion does not literally fit with the front engine for the RHD cars in which case they would need to flip the front motor and front inverter. So the smaller part is where the rack and pinion can physically fit next to. That would take quite some time to rebuild the front motor. But hey, I'm just guessing. I don't actually have a clue. Can't think of anything else that would take several months. Unless of course the critical component missing was the number of RHD orders that would make it worth their time!

Unless the rack and pinion does not literally fit with the front engine for the RHD cars in which case they would need to flip the front motor and front inverter. So the smaller part is where the rack and pinion can physically fit next to. That would take quite some time to rebuild the front motor. But hey, I'm just guessing. I don't actually have a clue. Can't think of anything else that would take several months. Unless of course the critical component missing was the number of RHD orders that would make it worth their time!
That's a totally reasonable assumption, ZTrekus.

on another issue, my P85D is still showing September as the expected delivery date. I wonder if that will change as others have done. . .

That's a totally reasonable assumption, ZTrekus.

on another issue, my P85D is still showing September as the expected delivery date. I wonder if that will change as others have done. . .

For a long time, mine continued to say Late September after others changed to October. And those others ordered before me. So naturally I got all excited and thought I fell through the cracks. Then shock horror it changed to Late October. And I realised at that point that Tesla must occasionally scan through their reservation list and took their time getting to me. They are on their way to you and will then update you to October...maybe even Late. The website says if your order it today to expect it October. So I would be surprised if yours didn't change any day now. But keep us all posted on that. I foolishly like to hope that all our dates will change forward, but I know that is just wishful thinking.

A little gossip, and a few facts

Been pushing on our local Tesla dealer for an explanation of what is wrong with the deliveries of the Right Hand Drive P85D, and what about the shift to all (mostly) dual engine variants going foward.

It is not an allocation issue, it is not a production line issue, it is a parts issue. One of the unique parts involved in the steering mechanism of the RHD dual engine version needed to be redesigned and the company is unable to get a large enough and continuous enough supply of this part. It effects all "D's" variants

A few months ago, most of the orders for the P85D were spread out over several months. The Tesla team is working to have most of the existing orders shipped at once, at the earliest time frame possible. There will be no D-DEMO cars any sooner than the customer orders are shipped.

So, we are all in the same boat, so to speak, and there is no nefarious plan.....simply an engineering design issue

At least there should be a few Supercharging Stations in place to use the car on a nice afternoon, long distance drive

Rich

Last edited:
For a long time, mine continued to say Late September after others changed to October. And those others ordered before me. So naturally I got all excited and thought I fell through the cracks. Then shock horror it changed to Late October. And I realised at that point that Tesla must occasionally scan through their reservation list and took their time getting to me. They are on their way to you and will then update you to October...maybe even Late. The website says if your order it today to expect it October. So I would be surprised if yours didn't change any day now. But keep us all posted on that. I foolishly like to hope that all our dates will change forward, but I know that is just wishful thinking.

Ah well... the later it is the more likelihood of the bugs in the new features having been worked through. I REALLY want to be able to send it to park itself and for it to greet me in the mornings :) it needs to fit in a narrow space with limited room to open the doors.