Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had all four door handles replaced now. Here's a typical line from the service invoice:

Replace right front door handle.
Part Quantity
ASSY, DOOR HANDLE, FR RH, NO GRIP,
SVC (1030274-S0-B)
BACK SEAL, DOOR HANDLE OUTER, RH
(1021114-00-E)
CLIP, HEART FLEX W WSHR 70 LBS
RETENTION (1025401-00-A)
PUSH-NUT 5/32"x17/64"x1/32" (1067906-00-
A)

Supposedly its an easy DIY, the wire just comes off and can be easily reattached once the door is opened up. There is even a youtube video of it.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno
I wrote the DIY for handles that present but door doesn't open when pulled, and how to fix the micro switches. Found here..

I'd also like to know if someone has done any DIY fix for handles that don't present.

Knowing what I know about how the handles work.. I can think of a few possibilities and reasons as to why this might fail this way.

Would love to collaborate with any person who is able to get the problem fixed by any SC that is able to make it work again, without having to replace the whole unit. .... then, there's DIY potential for us to fix our own when it happens.

I mean, the most obvious reason would be "unit not receiving power". .. and it grows from there.

We have made replacement part for door handle unit. If motor is running but handle won't present, then the issue is this part: Tesla Model S door handle repair part | eBay

We have made replacement part for door handle unit. If motor is running but handle won't present, then the issue is this part: Tesla Model S door handle repair part | eBay

Good idea... price is a bit wrong especially being made of aluminum. Why would aluminum be better than steel for this part?

I'm trying to figure, and maybe you know, what place on that part breaks on the originals? Teeth worn down? Fractured "wing"? ..

You can buy whole used handles on eBay and just take the sweet parts you need... for less

And It appears this same toothed pusher part number fits into any of the 4 handles on the car.

First three handles went within the first year, the fourth one was after the warranty was up. $880.00 because a wire broke off the micro switch, Just my opinion the reason the wire breaks is because Tesla is saving an inch or so on the length of the wire on each handle. Tesla has a harness that will replace the two micro switches, can't imagine that the harness will cost $800.00. Ok so you have to do it your self, is a couple hours of your time worth $800 bucks.

From here on in the Tesla SC will only see my "S" if something with the electronics goes bad, other then that my mechanic gets to to work on my "S". And, after the stories about body work from Tesla body shops Northeast Auto body gets to do the body work. At least I will not have to wait 3 and 4 month for the car back.

First three handles went within the first year, the fourth one was after the warranty was up. $880.00 because a wire broke off the micro switch, Just my opinion the reason the wire breaks is because Tesla is saving an inch or so on the length of the wire on each handle. Tesla has a harness that will replace the two micro switches, can't imagine that the harness will cost $800.00. Ok so you have to do it your self, is a couple hours of your time worth $800 bucks.

From here on in the Tesla SC will only see my "S" if something with the electronics goes bad, other then that my mechanic gets to to work on my "S". And, after the stories about body work from Tesla body shops Northeast Auto body gets to do the body work. At least I will not have to wait 3 and 4 month for the car back.

We're talking about handles that don't present in this thread.

Different problem.

Replacing/repairing your own microswitches for doors that present but won't pull open is covered very well in another thread. Yes, a few bucks, or just your time alone, and it's fixed. No need to spend nearly 900 for whole handle.

I just took mine apart and little gear part broken. This part presents the handle. I found used handle mechanism on eBay, hope it fits.

Attachments

• 20171212_132457.jpg
    20171212_132457.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 20171212_132205.jpg
    20171212_132205.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 144
Here is gear that broke. I found complete assembly on eBay. While you have door panel off, i would reccomend putting dyna mat in the door. It will hell deaden more road noise. I use it in all of my hot rods.

Attachments

• 20171212_132205.jpg
    20171212_132205.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 132