Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Genius Behind Model 3 Air Vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife cannot operate a mouse with much skill. Using the press buttons on a tiny smart phone are difficult too.

Not small buttons. Obviously small buttons require precision.

My wife's brother has muscular dystrophy so I'm familiar with motor control problems that make a touchscreen hard to use.

The reason mice or dragging a finger work well for people with normal motor skills with user interfaces is that you can make large movements quickly and can be precise. Software smarts allow for acceleration (speed of mouse/hand movement determines speed of adjustment.

if you don't have fine motor skills, there's a problem because:
(a) you'll make large, jerky movements
(b) you can't be exact in where you're pressing
(c) instead of just pressing you'll tend to press and drag
(d) double-tapping/clicking is hard thing to do

Realistically, you'd need a different physical interface that allows simple, imprecise actions to make adjustments. That would probably be a "button" interface. On a touchscreen, a button is just an area that treats each touch as a press. There's no dragging, just pressing.

But the problems with buttons (as you'll be familiar with from various user interfaces) is that it can take lots of presses to select what you want.

In this case you have a blob you want to move around. With normal motor skills, you'd move the blob quickly to the rough area you want, and then make small adjustment to get it exactly where you want it. With poor motor skills, you can't do the precise adjustment yourself, so you need the interface to help.

So:
1) buttons for up/down/left/right (like a cable/satellite remote) to replace the dragging motion
2) buttons large enough and/or separated enough that you can hit the right button each time
3) button to toggle between rough and precise movement: rough first so that each press move the blobs a larger amount, r, then switch to precise mode to get it just right; that reduces the total number of presses required.

Nice video. I will say though, I don't find the function and performance of this type of vent to be too positive. sometimes when it is hot, I just want to air a couple vents at my face. With these vents, that is pretty hard to do. Also, from the sides of the wheel, much less air seem to be moving than directly in front. I often will put a traditional vent and aim it at my RIGHT hand on the wheel (which tends to get hot for some reason in cars). In this case that is totally impossible as the side of the wheel and the giant screen will pretty much block any airflow to where one's right hand is sitting.

The video covers the up/down airflow, but is there info on the right/left motion and how it splits into two “vents”? This is one thing I don’t understand about the HVAC system.

If this is in the video, I need to watch it again. I don’t remember seeing that when I watched the video when it was first posted.

The video covers the up/down airflow, but is there info on the right/left motion and how it splits into two “vents”? This is one thing I don’t understand about the HVAC system.

Sounds like it's done internally where you just don't see it, but it might be the same old concept. You do hear some clicks like some ducts are being moved when you move to certain selections.

If this is in the video, I need to watch it again. I don’t remember seeing that when I watched the video when it was first posted.

There are internal louvers in the ducting that direct air flow left and right.

• Informative
Reactions: swaltner