Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[THE GREAT PUSH] Supporting your Local Delivery Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jedi2155

Model 3 has Arrived.
Jul 6, 2018
Upland, CA
InsideEVs and Elon recently had this tweet about the great September delivery.

Wow, thanks for offering to help! The coming week is incredibly intense. If any current Tesla owners who’d like to help educate new owners could head to Tesla delivery centers during midday on Sat/Sun & morning/evening on weekdays, that would be super appreciated!

This is most important in the upcoming weekend delivery near Fremont or Richmond where they're aiming to deliver 7000 cars over the next week.

I'm going to try to do my part to volunteer helping out any new owners on the subject. I may not be a Tesla owner but I tend to be very knowledgeable on the subject and would love to help. We should NOT expect any special reward for this, but the very idea that we're helping push a sustainable and clear future is good enough for me!

Let me know if you're going to be at the Costa Mesa facility this Saturday and maybe more days depending on my available time/experience. The main place to be will be at the Fremont facility of course.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
  • If anyone who is great at organizing these types of volunteer efforts is willing to get in contact with a Tesla Rep to actually organize this well on a more official manner. It would be nice to not just show up to the store with the reps being completely confused as to why we're there :p:D
  • I think it could go real well. It can also turn bad real fast if people do not have proper orientation and provide the wrong information. Existing owners are the best sellers of the car showing off your own vehicle to new owners while waiting.
  • Would be a cool meet and greet for forum members.

Last edited:
This sounded like fun. until I thought about it for a few moments --
This could be a potential HR/liability nightmare. As wonderful as it sounds in theory, who will screen the volunteers to be sure they know their stuff? And that their presentation skills are good? And supervise/monitor them t o ensure that they are pleasant, won't be discriminating against anyone, won't be high or drunk or smell bad, etc.? I can imagine myself doing this, but maybe I am not as up to date on all the models as I think, maybe I'd forget something and a new driver makes a mistake, etc. Plus, by such volunteering, are people serving to facilitate the quarter-end push that most of us hate anyway?
I love my car, but these staffing issues are of Tesla's own making....

So talked to some of their delivery managers (James being one of them) real quick, and wanted to let you know if case you do come in:
  • Most help will be appreciated by talking to new owners in the lounge.
  • We won't be doing any "real work" as thats relegated to actual employees :cool: . Main thing here is to spread the love and answer questions as an owner.
  • Depending on how many people are willing to go out and help, I would get name tags (Owner Helper/ Helper etc.) to differentiate yourself from customers and Tesla employees.
  • Optional: A sign in sheet with Name | Number | Email would likely be useful for people who help

This could be a potential HR/liability nightmare. As wonderful as it sounds in theory, who will screen the volunteers to be sure they know their stuff? And that their presentation skills are good? And supervise/monitor them t o ensure that they are pleasant, won't be discriminating against anyone, won't be high or drunk or smell bad, etc.? I can imagine myself doing this, but maybe I am not as up to date on all the models as I think, maybe I'd forget something and a new driver makes a mistake, etc. Plus, by such volunteering, are people serving to facilitate the quarter-end push that most of us hate anyway?
I love my car, but these staffing issues are of Tesla's own making....
I think this is more of offering "tips and tricks" to new owners which is a win for new owners and fun for Tesla owners(for me anyway!). You're right about the different models and to address this, S owners would help S customers, X owners would help X customers and so on. Maybe a t-Shirt with "Ask Me About Your Model S" or something like that. Lot's of places have volunteers(for profit hospitals etc.) so this isn't really a new idea. Also, I would imagine the folks who volunteer would be older(we have more free time) have been successful(we own a Tesla) so are naturally excellent brand ambassadors. I love this idea!

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
Is this only needed in California? I’m in Dallas and took delivery of my Model 3 Wednesday. Went back Friday for a couple questions and they were packed! I’d love to do this to help out Tesla and Musk.

When I took delivery it was outside and was about 5 minutes long. I knew far more than the guy doing my orientation...

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
This could be a potential HR/liability nightmare. As wonderful as it sounds in theory, who will screen the volunteers to be sure they know their stuff? And that their presentation skills are good? And supervise/monitor them t o ensure that they are pleasant, won't be discriminating against anyone, won't be high or drunk or smell bad, etc.?
The volunteers can't possibly know less than the paid Tesla staff, based on reports so far. :-(

We just got a story of multiple staff members being shocked that the aerodynamic wheel covers came off. I mean, seriously...

volunteering for a for-profit company and operations? Does that sound right to you?

It's a unique situation though.

The point of the Model 3 was to foster mass adoption of EV's. From a profitability stand point it was absolutely the wrong decision. There were far more profitable vehicles that could transition to EV's like Cargo vans (which includes camper vans which are really lucrative right now).

So obviously Tesla isn't profit driven except now, but it's really about demonstrating that Tesla can sustain profitability.

Now even with that I wouldn't volunteer to hep a corporation out. I also don't think it's the right approach as it just makes the SC even more crowded.

What I'm in favor of is a user group based new drivers orientation class. This would serve to help the Tesla community as a whole because having educated fellow Tesla owners is MUCH better than uneducated Tesla owners with all kinds of misconceptions about how things works.

So yes a very self serving approach. :)

@S4WRXTTCS, I respect your view. but I think Tesla has a #1 goal: Profitability. All other side benefits, let's call them that way, are less important to a company.

The company will spin things any which way to make the consumer feel good to buy their product. In the end, profitability is the King. It's the foundation of the capitalism, Tesla is no different. Economy 101.

I attend EV driving week time to time and help out non-profit whenever the opportunity presents and I have time. But this is one opportunity I will say "No, thanks no. It's your problem, you deal with it"

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8 and phigment
Wow, what’s up with all this ‘helping a corporation out’? This is not your average corporation, this is a company that wants to change the world, change lifes, it’s not about making maximum profits.

Elon only reacted to someone on Twitter offering help during the delivery rush. If there are more passionate people out there, they are welcome to make the delivery experience more complete. It’s not like an e-mail was sent out to everyone asking for help. If you don’t feel like this is something for you, or you want to get paid, then just ignore the tweet and don’t bother telling us.