Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "Is Tesla Going Bankrupt?" thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of January 2018 Tesla still has $3.4 billion in cash. 50% of that capital is expected to be spent on expanding the GF, while much of the other 50% will be spent on rolling out Supercharger networks, new service/ sales centers, Semi truck/ Model Y R&D, Tile roof/ solar, etc. If Tesla spends every dime they have without raising further capital, then the $3.4 Billion they started with this year will take them into 3rd Q 2018, right about the time where M3 ramp hits a steady rate of 5,000/ week to make them cash flow positive. So no, Tesla isn’t going to run out of cash anytime soon. Their cash position remains to be healthy, and my assumption is that they will raise capital between 2nd and 3rd Q to be comfortable (so they won’t be cutting it too close).

Elon has had around 40 rounds of capital raises between his venture at X.com/ PayPal, SpaceX and Tesla. He is 40 out of 40 for those capital raises which converts to an impressive 100% success rate in capital raises. He has mentioned to shorts before that you don’t want to bet against those odds, and yet the shorts ignore his warning every time (to their detriment). They are here again to spread FUD because they understand that their fortune are ONE capital raise away from being decimated (talk about playing Russian Roulette), arguably that ONE capital raise isn’t even necessary for Tesla to sustain operations.

If Tesla would just stop expanding, then their cash position will be in a much healthier place; however, Tesla is a beast and Elon understands he has leverage over the capital market. He can raise capital at will and has determined that he wants his company to grow in ludicrous mode. Which is why so many members here are citing the 50% YOY revenue in the billions. Right now no other company grows like this, it’s indeed profoundly breathtaking. Take for example the 500,000 reservation holders that deposited for the M3, at an ASP of $42,000 would mean $21 billion in revenues.

Last edited:
Reactions: perwis
Tesla lies. They will need cash in a maximum 3-6 months (the cashburn now accelerates). If Moody's downgraded their ratings it will be now very hard to get money. One more downgrade -> they won't get any money for sure. Tesla cannot raise equity. Elon's got pledged shares, and top short sellers know it, and wants to make huge money bankrupting Elon (Not Tesla!). They don't care. They thought the level of pledged shares was on 250$ level. They breached it till 248$ didn't work. Once you see the real collapse of Tesla stock value it means short sellers breached this level. Now they think it's about 180$-200$ level.

When they reach it -> banks who's got deposited Elon's shares will start automatically dumping the shares creating a Valeant Pharmaceuticals crash, which went from 300$ to 10$, and automatically it will bankrupt not Tesla, but ... Elon -> Tesla will be just worth pennies.

Daimler/BMW/VW etc, they were trying for a last 100 years to create 100% automatic production line. It fails. Elon thinks he will do it. It fails -> they can't ramp Model 3 production if production line is skrewed. Any kind of Tesla's PR team they will fix it -> these are just lies. Without B$ they won't do it.

Yes, Tesla can go bankrupt. Interest rates are raising. Servicing debt is a challenge, Quantitative Tightening gets harder to obtain cash. When the panic begins and people will start to withdraw their deposits (while company has burned almost all of them combined) this will kill this company.

Elon's been cheating since years, but now the time has come. Market is saying CHECK TO FUNDAMENTALS...

What will happen? I don't know, but the stock is in a free fall mode and each stop, short sellers will be just adding shorts to breach this pledged level.

Tesla lies. They will need cash in a maximum 3-6 months (the cashburn now accelerates). If Moody's downgraded their ratings it will be now very hard to get money. One more downgrade -> they won't get any money for sure. Tesla cannot raise equity. Elon's got pledged shares, and top short sellers know it, and wants to make huge money bankrupting Elon (Not Tesla!). They don't care. They thought the level of pledged shares was on 250$ level. They breached it till 248$ didn't work. Once you see the real collapse of Tesla stock value it means short sellers breached this level. Now they think it's about 180$-200$ level.

When they reach it -> banks who's got deposited Elon's shares will start automatically dumping the shares creating a Valeant Pharmaceuticals crash, which went from 300$ to 10$, and automatically it will bankrupt not Tesla, but ... Elon -> Tesla will be just worth pennies.

Daimler/BMW/VW etc, they were trying for a last 100 years to create 100% automatic production line. It fails. Elon thinks he will do it. It fails -> they can't ramp Model 3 production if production line is skrewed. Any kind of Tesla's PR team they will fix it -> these are just lies. Without B$ they won't do it.

Yes, Tesla can go bankrupt. Interest rates are raising. Servicing debt is a challenge, Quantitative Tightening gets harder to obtain cash. When the panic begins and people will start to withdraw their deposits (while company has burned almost all of them combined) this will kill this company.

Elon's been cheating since years, but now the time has come. Market is saying CHECK TO FUNDAMENTALS...

What will happen? I don't know, but the stock is in a free fall mode and each stop, short sellers will be just adding shorts to breach this pledged level.

This doesn’t sound like FUD at all.

This doesn’t sound like FUD at all.

It took me a few reads to understand what this person was attempting to convey, but it is basically the same bear argument posted elsewhere: a belief that Tesla will not be able to have future capital raises. The counterargument is that Model 3 production is quickly getting better, which will either maintain or restore the willingness of the financial markets to continue funding Tesla's expansion.

In the end, it comes down to a single issue: can Tesla make the transition from boutique automaker (10's of ks of units/year) to mass-market (100's of ks of units/year)? The reality is that it is all up to Tesla. Nothing that bulls or bears say, will change the outcome. We on the outside have no control. Only the outcome of the work of the people at Tesla matters now.

This is going to sound harsh, but people will not take your argument seriously because it is very poorly written. Writing in complete sentences and using proper grammar is essential to effective communications. Your post is the kind of work I would expect in a 1st draft from a student of approximately 8 or 9 years of age.

OK but where's the math supporting the price you're paying and your anticipated return? Where's the math behind what you anticipate that business earning per share making your $250 investment deliver an acceptable payoff.

Dude, this is a "math free" forum when it comes to financials. Now if you want to extrapolate future sales demand in units herein are the wizards. key words; exponential, disruptive, s-curve and "Elon said"

Reactions: sakimano
Buttershrimp is not about to take all this Tesla hating without a fight. You are looking at a brand new model 3 reservation holder as of 11:40 pm. Have a reservation already? Well, get another. This party is just getting started. Let's go people! you get a model 3, you get a model 3.... everyone gets a model 3!!!!

Ah, the fresh smell of a new convert! It never gets old.

Congrats on your reservation. Now be patient and don't lose the faith!!!!
no coverting necessary.... I'm just kicking the wife's car out of the garage... little does she know she just reserved a model 3! Join me @Sandollars.... place an order..... phones are ringing off the hook.

Buttershrimp is not about to take all this Tesla hating without a fight. You are looking at a brand new model 3 reservation holder as of 11:40 pm. Have a reservation already? Well, get another. This party is just getting started. Let's go people! you get a model 3, you get a model 3.... everyone gets a model 3!!!!

I love you Buttershrimp. Still can’t take my guns though. :D

Cant agree that M3 is Botched. When building a new plant, a new car, new hires...everything new, and you slow down a bit to keep quality high...That is NOT a botch but good execution.
Do you write for tesla PR?

So missing promised deadlines (repeatedly) on this car is 'good execution'?

You must be having a laugh.

Also calling the delays and the muted production levels compared to the plan ' slowed down a bit' is hilarious.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
I’m with you 100% all the way butter shrimp. I’m not going to take any more of this tesla Hating lying down. What else can we do? We have people power? I have a ms and ordered 2 m3’s. My wife doesn’t know yet that see’s getting one. Got all my family buying them too.

You are really disappointing me ! I thought you would never be seduced by the siren's song and the sweet smell of conformity. Even the most stalwart among us are mere mortals when emotions overwhelm reason. So another one bites the dust, even @buttershrimp. And another one, And another one.

And since today is Easter, go hunt for some easter eggs on that UI and give a hug to lil' BS.

Everyone should reserve another model 3 with no intentions of ever taking delivery. It's a $1000 loan to Tesla as a show of support. If you are mad that we pulled out of the Paris Accord.. prove it. Go onto Tesla's site and reserve a model 3 or even better a roadster. Let them keep your deposit for a couple of years. If we can get a million people to do it, it's an interest free billion dollar loan. Spread the word! Elon will do more positive with that money then any government Accord, because his mission is real and realistic.

Wait, you canceled your reservation (a bunch) before you reserved. Doesn't that make you a short? :p

Wait, you canceled your reservation (a bunch) before you reserved. Doesn't that make you a short? :p
Cancel? 6 cupholders be damned! If I have to listen to one more trader tell me Tesla will be acquired by Mercedes or Apple, I’m gonna vomit. Let’s do our part! Bankrupt? I don’t think so. Not on my watch.

Best cars on the road, let’s not screw that up with the ICE companies doing a full court press on shorting Tesla and putting FUD and misinformation out there to make us vulnerable. Tesla will always be driven by its devoted base. Miracle vehicles on the road plain and simple.

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: replicant and Lem89