Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "Is Tesla Going Bankrupt?" thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only two US car companies have NOT gone bankrupt...Ford and Tesla.

Companies go bankrupt all the time, gets rid of debt and they get a fresh start.

Some companies, and people go bankrupt multiple times.

Do not believe that Tesla will go bankrupt. They only have negative cash flow because they are investing tremendous amounts of $ in developing the future of clean electric vehicles, solar power and protecting humanity from potential extinction.

Elon is not interested in profit, but the accomplishment of his goals. If profit was essential to these accomplishments, he would be quickly able to generate tremendous profits. Far easier to just borrow the $ and expand even faster.

Protecting humanity from extinction? Tesla? WOW

Okay so I get called a Tesla fanboy all the time here but... I'm seriously concerned about this article I just read and I realize I don't know enough about what I'm reading to know if it's FUD or real...

Tesla is just months from a total collapse, says hedge-fund manager

My Model S lease is up in November, I only have a few months left before I have to order my next Tesla... Is there going to be a Tesla in a few months or am I grossly overreacting to one article?

Thanks,
Jeff
They certainly could go BK by then end of the year. Moody's downgrade shut them out of the bond market and the current share price hardly is conducive to a another capital raise. It gets worse: Moody's says if they aren't at 25K/wk on M3 by end March, another downgrade is coming. Tesla is a strong brand and would likely continue, with the new owner aquiring for "penny's on the dollar" So, if not an investor, you should be fine..

First, take what the FUDsters are saying with a grain of salt. Spreading fear (through insinuation and sometimes outright lies) in order to damage the stock price is part of how they make money.

The honest answer is: nobody knows for sure.

I have watched Tesla for almost 10 years now, and the company has been in perilous financial waters for almost all of that time. The 2008 Financial Crisis nearly bankrupted Tesla, and they were saved only by a supplier contract from Daimler. Since the 2010 IPO, Tesla has relied upon additional Secondary Offerings and Debt Offerings to fund its expansion and continued operation.

In 2013, during the ramp-up of Model S production, Tesla nearly went bankrupt again. The company survived through a herculean effort to produce Model S and convert reservations to sales, and these efforts resulted in a small profit in Q1 of 2013. The saga is detailed in Ashlee Vance's book: Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future (https://www.amazon.com/Elon-Musk-SpaceX-Fantastic-Future/dp/006230125X)

As for the practical consequences to car owners, I would expect that a Bankruptcy and Reorganization would not affect vehicle service. The company doesn't disappear in this scenario.

If Tesla can prove in the next few months that its new manufacturing line works, I believe it is likely that both debt and equity markets will maintain willingness to fund Tesla's expansion and operations. Tesla's ability to produce both Model S and Model X in greater quantities than anyone expected, allowed the company to raise part of the money to fund Model 3. Originally, Tesla's plan was to build 20k Model S per year. The company is now at 100k total/year for Model S and X.

A leaked email last week (Tesla says Model 3 production at ‘over 200 units per day’, pushing to get to 2,500 units/week, says report) suggests that Tesla was at roughly 1400 units of Model 3 per week (approximately 200+ cars/day), with a goal of getting to over 2500 units produced during this week.

I have always been upfront about Tesla as a company: The risks are extraordinarily high, and I strongly advice people to invest in TSLA only what they can afford to lose. However, Elon Musk has a history of accomplishing (albeit sometimes years late) his aims despite seemingly impossible odds, whether in SpaceX or Tesla. This is why I believe that Tesla is worth a gamble, despite the long odds.

I suggest you do not reserve a car and if you have reserved already hurry to cancel asap to get your money back. Seriously, why would you risk a 1000.00 while you can go buy a Bolt and get full tax credit, really.
Good advice on getting a Bolt! At least $7K dealer discounts, then full $7.5K Fed Tax Credit... Price wise... It's dang compelling. Specs, features, maint costs...also compelling. L3 charging and style...not that compelling.

In the event that Tesla cannot remain independent, it's well worth $1000 to the acquirer to still have you as a customer. Manufacturers today routinely pay MUCH higher incentives to customers. Washing out that $1000, even given that it probably wouldn't survive formal liquidation preferences, is not something that is likely to happen.

Even if Tesla got busted up in an ugly liquidation—no continuing operations, most debt holders stiffed—every other car manufacturer would run ads saying, "Hey, Model 3 reservation holders: want $1000 off of our _____?"

Okay so I get called a Tesla fanboy all the time here but... I'm seriously concerned about this article I just read and I realize I don't know enough about what I'm reading to know if it's FUD or real...

Tesla is just months from a total collapse, says hedge-fund manager

My Model S lease is up in November, I only have a few months left before I have to order my next Tesla... Is there going to be a Tesla in a few months or am I grossly overreacting to one article?

Thanks,
Jeff

I’m in a similar boat. I’ve got zero worries about getting another one. The brand is too powerful to die.

Also, I suspect that they’re near the bottom of the trough. I’ve been through line startups. I’ve seen nothing to tell me that anything is out of the ordinary at Tesla. Starting up a line is inevitably a colossal mess. All the time. For all manufacturers. Tesla is just more under the microscope than the rest.

well, what if the unlikely will happen? (media writes about it). will the deposits go down the drain, or are they secure? (i did not read the small letters that well when i signed up)

What if the MEDIA GOES BANKRUPT?!!!!! All the money I spent on that 55" TV goes down the drain!

Please.