TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The Japan Dude Drives to Hokkaido

Discussion in 'Japan' started by JayInJapan, Jan 28, 2017.

1. JayInJapan

JayInJapan Member

Hello all:

I'm a few minutes away from leaving for my longest Japanese road trip yet. Follow along at:

Tesla in Japan

• Like x 5
  2. f-stop

f-stop Member

Cool! Have a great trip. Just stumbled upon your post and blog, will follow with interest... and will keep an eye out for a red MS (will be at the festival around same time)

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Wow. That's a long way.

Will need to go through your blog when I have time. I've visited Japan 5x for fun. I've never very far north of Tokyo but my most recent trip took me was in late 2015 from Nagasaki to Nagoya then Tokyo, all via train, stopping at many places along the way to sightsee. I didn't see a single Tesla there. And, surprisingly to me, I saw VERY few EVs there, esp. compared to the SF Bay Area. (Besides the large of PHEVs and EVs at my work, more than once, have I been on there road and been one of 5 Leafs all within view of each other on the same side of the road.)

Had thought about going to Kumamoto but didn't go.

• Like x 1
  4. l.10.i

l.10.i Member

Hi, wow great!

I'll follow you via feedbin and your blog's RSS feeds.

Been 2x times in Japan but never drove there. Will be interesting to see how a road trip goes.
    Are you planning to publish some videos?

5. JayInJapan

JayInJapan Member

My trip to Hokkaido is completed, as is my blog post above.

6. arkadiyk

arkadiyk New Member

You said "Nissan chargers are throttled for Tesla". Is it common practice for CHAdeMO?
    ~80km (20kW) for 1500yen (non-member) seems to be very expensive in terms of mpg?
    Also it looks like you need to spend 30 min charging for every 80km?

Sorry for being negative. I really wanna buy a Model X (I have test drive tomorrow). I am just trying to clarify all the unknowns before my big ICE --> EV move :)

7. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Supporting Member

Only Nissan branded tall chargers are throttled. They are usually installed at Nissan dealerships but there are some locations that have them. I would recommend avoiding those.

Yes if you solely rely on CHAdeMO chargers, after depleting 400km of battery, you will need to charge 30 minutes for 80-100km. When I travel more than 500km in one day with CHAdeMO only, I usually take 60 minute lunch/dinner break to charge one hour and then drive additiinal 200km. With Tesla I recommend you to use high power CHAdeMO chargers and Superchargers only.

With superchargers you will have like 90%-95% charge in one hour.

8. JayInJapan

JayInJapan Member

Or 80% in 20-30 minutes...:)

9. JayInJapan

JayInJapan Member

How was your test drive? I took a MX 60D on Sunday on a test drive. It was a lot of fun to drive! It was interesting sitting up higher than in my MS. It felt roomier, too.

• Like x 1