Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The longest EV charging network in West Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So WA has found more money for the Norseman to Eucla section to connect to SA.
$2.9m for two stalls at four sites (presumabling replicating the three AEVA/TOCA sites plus Eucla, as Norseman was already funded)

Also found $23m for what I assume are AC charging grants and $33m for $3.5k rebates for cars under $70k

On the downside 2.5c Road User Charge from 2027.

While the 2.5c is not huge what gets me is they say it is to replace the tax lost from petrol sales. As far as I can tell my Model S when purchased had a battery worth at least $20k in it and that battery attracted tax through import duty, lct, gst and stamp duty of over $13k meaning I effectively paid the fuel levy for about 260,000 litres up front on day 1 of ownership only to be told I don’t pay tax.

While the 2.5c is not huge what gets me is they say it is to replace the tax lost from petrol sales. As far as I can tell my Model S when purchased had a battery worth at least $20k in it and that battery attracted tax through import duty, lct, gst and stamp duty of over $13k meaning I effectively paid the fuel levy for about 260,000 litres up front on day 1 of ownership only to be told I don’t pay tax.
Yes, same applies for stamp duty, LCT for some too. Although it's harder to justify with many EVs getting stamp duty exemptions now.

I prefer to come back with
"If us EV owners are getting such a free ride then why don't you do it too?"
"But they cost $20,000 more!"
"Exactly"

The map has been updated with a few changes. The Perth metro sites have been consolidated and now just say "Kings Park", not sure if this is just their first/flagship location or they've seriously canned all the other metro ones (maybe deemed unnecessary, with the ARENA sites coming).

Jerramungup has been removed (red), a couple of locations have been renamed (orange), and some further additions (green).

ILbWqze.png

While the 2.5c is not huge what gets me is they say it is to replace the tax lost from petrol sales.

At least in NSW there is the quid-pro-quo. If you pay stamp duty on your EV, then that EV will not be subject to the RUC (even after it is introduced). Don’t pay stamp duty on your EV, then it will be subject to the RUC. Gotta say, Matt Kean’s a smart bloke who worked out a way to make this palatable and get an RUC in at the same time.

For a $70k EV, stamp duty in NSW would be $2600. At the average distance driven in Australia per year (around 15,000 km), not paying stamp duty would cover almost 7 years of RUC before the RUC ends up costing you more. The more expensive the car, the longer you are in front for.

EV drivers who drive less than average are the obvious winners under the RUC model. You could reach the end of life of the car and come out in front if you don‘t drive a lot.

Arguably flipping your EV in less than 7 years means you’d get the benefit of another stamp duty exemption and the payback clock would start again, but that’s getting into academic territory since you have to fork out another big bunch of cash to get a new car - spending money to save money? 🤔. Hmm…

At least in NSW there is the quid-pro-quo. If you pay stamp duty on your EV, then that EV will not be subject to the RUC (even after it is introduced). Don’t pay stamp duty on your EV, then it will be subject to the RUC. Gotta say, Matt Kean’s a smart bloke who worked out a way to make this palatable and get an RUC in at the same time.

For a $70k EV, stamp duty in NSW would be $2600. At the average distance driven in Australia per year (around 15,000 km), not paying stamp duty would cover almost 7 years of RUC before the RUC ends up costing you more. The more expensive the car, the longer you are in front for.

EV drivers who drive less than average are the obvious winners under the RUC model. You could reach the end of life of the car and come out in front if you don‘t drive a lot.

Arguably flipping your EV in less than 7 years means you’d get the benefit of another stamp duty exemption and the payback clock would start again, but that’s getting into academic territory since you have to fork out another big bunch of cash to get a new car - spending money to save money? 🤔. Hmm…
I really like the way it was managed in NSW. Wish we had done the same in WA....

I really like the way it was managed in NSW. Wish we had done the same in WA....
Agreed NSW has implemented it the fairest.
That said by 2025 I suspect that all the state taxes will be wiped out and we will have some Federal reform that likely has a per km charge on all cars and a lower environmental levy on ICE vehicles on top.

That said by 2025 I suspect that all the state taxes will be wiped out and we will have some Federal reform that likely has a per km charge on all cars and a lower environmental levy on ICE vehicles on top.
I doubt that very much. It is much more likely that we will have uniform, or nearly uniform, state-based charges.
  • The states are in a much better position to implement per-km charges (they administer the registration system already).
  • Vertical fiscal imbalance is already a problem - why make it worse?
  • It is unclear what federal head of power could be used unless the matter was specifically referred by the states.

I doubt that very much. It is much more likely that we will have uniform, or nearly uniform, state-based charges.
  • The states are in a much better position to implement per-km charges (they administer the registration system already).
  • It is unclear what federal head of power could be used unless the matter was specifically referred by the states.
Agree, it is all about the states getting back a reliable and significant funding stream. It does circumvent some of the fiscal equalisation, so I expect a big fight over GST allocations at some stage

That’s a pretty good summary. The main problem is that although the states are following each other so far with identical RUC rates (VIC, NSW, SA and now WA), they have quite different approaches to incentives and rebates (dollar amounts, number of vehicles, and vehicle eligibility), amount of investment in DCFCs, and whether there is any trade-off (NSW is the only jurisdiction so far to end stamp duty from Sep 2021 on all ZEVs under the LCT threshold, and from 2027 for all ZEVs regardless of price).

Then again every state already has different vehicle registration costs and requirements. So expect a state in the future to slowly push the RUC up when they face budgetary pressures. QLD and TAS have ruled out introducing an RUC for ZEVs (so far).

How do they calculate the 70k limit? Is GST and on road cost included?
I’ve been trying to find clarification on that myself. I found a website with some information, but it wasn’t very clear. I *think* the limit is based on dutiable value of the car, so the purchase price + gst + luxury car tax (if applicable), but before stamp duty etc.

Does that sound right? 🤔