Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another wasted effort from BMW ... 2017 BMW 740e Priced At $89,100, Arriving This Month At U.S. Dealerships :cool:

BMW has announced that its plug-in 740e xDrive iPerformance (that we will just go ahead and called the 740e from here on out) will start US deliveries to dealers this month. The 740e is the top of the line version for the 7 Series (all-wheel-drive), with price starting from $89,100 plus $995 Destination and Handling.

We should mention that a $4,500 federal tax credit applies to the purchase, and can be deducted from $90,095 MSRP cost; nonetheless, it will be one of the most expensive plug-in hybrids on the market today. BMW puts the official EPA range rating for all-electric mode at 14 miles (22.5 km) via the 9.2 kWh battery – of which some 6.5 kWh is usable.

upload_2016-8-13_20-17-59.png

Fascinating to see this thread has managed over 23 pages even though everyone here seems to agree on the premise - except for EaglesPDX that is. If it wasn't for him and his aggressive ranting posts every now and then, this thread would have been dead long ago.

I'm using my magical powers (they come free with every BMW 300e) to make you and all the other Teslerati terrifed by BMW's promo to post on this thread again and again. Way more than me. BMW seems to have struck a nerve in suggesting those waiting for a T3 get a BMW300e in the interim.

Say it ain't so BMW! Hopefully Mercedes has come to its senses with its new all electric lineup to be announced next month.

Also waiting on FaradayFuture, Google, Apple, Ford and BYD to unveil their pure EV Tesla contenders.

I'm so sick of these lame hybrid and short range offerings. Enough already!

Last edited:
Reactions: Topher
BMW puts the official EPA range rating for all-electric mode at 14 miles (22.5 km) via the 9.2 kWh battery – of which some 6.5 kWh is usable.
The only reason BMW is doing that is to enable their cars to be used in the increasing number of European cities that will not allow fossil fuel burning passenger cars in the city center.

BMW has no real interest in BEVs.

Another wasted effort from BMW ... 2017 BMW 740e Priced At $89,100, Arriving This Month At U.S. Dealerships :cool:

BMW has announced that its plug-in 740e xDrive iPerformance (that we will just go ahead and called the 740e from here on out) will start US deliveries to dealers this month. The 740e is the top of the line version for the 7 Series (all-wheel-drive), with price starting from $89,100 plus $995 Destination and Handling.

We should mention that a $4,500 federal tax credit applies to the purchase, and can be deducted from $90,095 MSRP cost; nonetheless, it will be one of the most expensive plug-in hybrids on the market today. BMW puts the official EPA range rating for all-electric mode at 14 miles (22.5 km) via the 9.2 kWh battery – of which some 6.5 kWh is usable.

View attachment 189990
Why in the world would this car need a 30% reserve on such a small battery pack? Oh, well. At least it matches the similarly gimped 14 mile fully electric range of the Mercedes-Benz S550e plug-in hybrid.

Red Sage said:
The BMW 330e slows progress by being even worse than the BMW i3 at about the same price point. That is not frightening. It is saddening.
Yes, and the marketplace has voted accordingly in a landslide. 1,479 i3's sold in July vs. 81 330e's.

For your measly 14 miles of electric range (based on driving very carefully) vs. a conventional hybrid, you pay more upfront cost and get less utility because the larger battery eats trunk space and often prevents the rear seats from folding down (see Camry, Accord, don't know about the 330e).

03DSG said:
What I don't get is why anyone bothers to respond to EaglesPDX at all............It's a total waste of life.
I'm an avid skier and I've seen EaglesPDX' antics on the EpicSki Forum before. I think he got banned or at least severely restricted over there.

I'm using my magical powers (they come free with every BMW 300e) to make you and all the other Teslerati terrifed by BMW's promo to post on this thread again and again. Way more than me. BMW seems to have struck a nerve in suggesting those waiting for a T3 get a BMW300e in the interim.

Absolutely no doubt BMW hit a nerve with these ads. I sincerely doubt it is the "fear" nerve you suggest, though. Annoying, laughable, sillyness, stupidity nerve perhaps...

I once more repeat my suggestion that you let go of the "Teslarati fears BMW's competition in current EV efforts" argument. Argue the merits of these PHEVs and/or the merits of these 330e advertisements instead. There can be actual merits there, but really, the fear argument is so far fetched it does your side of the argument no favours. Unless you intend to merely troll.

EaglesPDX, if you are really interested in seeking some mutual understanding and dialogue in conversation, may I suggest you discontinue the notion that people here are attacking BMW's EV efforts because they are terrified of them. I think in your heart of hearts, even you know that is probably not a very big motivation for anyone here - if it is a motivation at all. Get it out of the way, call it a joke gone on long enough or an exaggeration in the heat of the moment, or don't call it anything, but let's move on to the actual beef. Just my opinion and suggestion, of course.

IMO it is quite different to feel people are taking "a small provincial view of moving to low emissions automobiles" than to outright assert they are fearful of BMW. The argument about a small view is far more debatable and should prove more fruitful.

In that vein, to try and steer back:

a) Should we be applauding BMW for their efforts in reducing emissions with the PHEVs and BEVs they currently have (e.g. 330e, i3...)? Is it a "a small provincial view of moving to low emissions automobiles" for disliking/dismissing them? Or is it an understandable or even "the right" view to be annoyed at BMW for actually delaying/prolonging the move away from ICE, arguing that they are a part of the problem, not the solution?

b) Is BMW right/ridiculous/whatever in advertising the 330e to the people waiting for a Model 3? Is it a valid advertisement that we in our EV bubble are just not seeing right, that will help move cars or even help reduce emissions (more than without that ad would happen)? Is BMW merely seeing a potential target market in Model 3 wait-listers and engaging in perfectly normal marketing? Are they even onto a viral winner, given how much talk the ads are generating? Or, indeed, is it a silly idea that indeed makes BMW look fearful (or should we even conclude they are fearful) and gives unwise attention to a competitor and makes no footprint impression anyway?

c) What does Tesla the company think of these kinds of efforts? Both in public (the vision) and in private (the business)?

I would argue there is a real merited debate over these kinds of questions to be had, than the rather unsupportable notion that BMWs very limited - and lately even more delayed (2021?) - efforts are cause of competitive concern for "Teslarati". BMW's efforts are just so, so very small, it is very hard to see how the idea of fear could possibly play into even the most ardent Tesla-only fans thinking, let alone a pure-BEV fans who'd actually like to buy great EVs from whomever (unless we consider the wholly different fear of feeling that BMW's etc. antics are delaying the onset of pure BEV domination, which fear might actually contribute to the annoyed reaction in some manner).

I have no opinion on the success of these BMW ads. I can see it go in any direction. Interesting to see. Personally I found them lame. Stand on your own merits and shoulders, IMO, not on others. But sure, they can work. Bad ads sometimes do.

I have to disagree with you on Tesla's mission, though: I think the company's whole stated worldview hinges of compelling battery electric vehicles entering the market. The company has been driven, in public at least, by dislike for transitional efforts like the 330e and instead going for big bold moves that change the world much more quickly - and being the example, the catalyst for that big bold change. Tesla is not about only reducing emissions, their worldview obviously is removing them from running of the car entirely, so that improvements in energy production wherever (e.g. solar) can keep reducing the overall footprint indefinitely - and at the very, very least, their worldview is creating compelling battery electric cars (and no weirdmobiles). I would argue they'd say 330e and i3 as they stand are not compelling in that department.

While only Tesla can answer what they as a company want, I thus sincerely doubt what they - vision-wise, at least - want is a road to the future paved with 330e's. I would wager their vision would rather see a world where even major manufacturer is gearing up efforts similar to Superchargers and Model 3 and Gigafactory. Instead from BMW and other high-end Germans we have very limited battery range or very limited production/marketing vehicles and some plans for Model S/X competition (mind you, not Model 3, no known Gigafactory solution, no known Supercharger network) in two-three (or in the case of BMW, five) years time. Maybe business-wise Tesla is relishing the situation, it does seem to give them quite a long headstart for selling BEVs to the masses.

Again, I think a lot of people here are more willing to hand some applause to the non-Germans. Go Bolt, Go Leaf. Outside of the PHEV/EREV label debate, even Volt gets a better rapport here than a 330e and Volt/Bolt actually is positioned to compete with Tesla in at least regional sales figures (Volt is actually a competent PHEV, unlike some). At least there is some effort there! But what we've so far seen come from the land of the autobahn is dragging their EV heels. A lot of us here, I think, are long-time buyers of German automobiles. I've bought 10+ high-end Germans, personally. If a lot of us are now standing up and saying we're no longer doing that because they used to be the future and now they are the past, maybe the Germans should listen.

As a final footnote, after reading some of this conversation I actually headed on to BMW's website last night and downloaded their 330e materials (advertisement success!). As I was looking its special features, like the blue eDrive trim under the doors and their attempts at sound insipired and forward-thinking (and with stuff like a man with a giant blue-glowing charging station standing in front of his house - for what, a 110V/240V wall-plug), I genuinely just felt sad. It was a sad effort to put a seriously overestated and in-your-face label on what really is such a limited effort. At least the car outside looks pretty normal, which can't be said of the i3. I mean, maybe the average Joe buys into that hyperbole, but anyone knowing better is just sad of what has become of these brands that used to be the face of genuine progress. German marketing faszination is just so much easier to buy into when it promotes real advantages, it seems.

Instead of progress, they've become a joke.

I'd rather BMW didn't try to dress it up so much, because like this ad, to me it just makes a perfectly serviceable PHEV drivetrain seem idiotic because they tried to make it into something it is not (instead of a serviceable drivetrain, trying to make it seem like the future). I'd rather they'd just market it lowkey, because it is a lowkey thing.

This made me appreciate Tesla's efforts even more, because they are based actually making big bold changes in what the cars actually are and do, while making normal cars with only functional differences in appearance. BMWs EV attempts are more akin to putting futuristic lipstick on a pig. If they were great EVs then maybe I could look past all that lipstick and appreciate it as a somewhat appropriate styling, but now it just feels seriously sad to me. When you can't win on features, dress it up, is a sure sign of failure in my worldview.

Very, very uninspirational, Germans. Keine Vorsprung, to expand the comment.

That BMW 740e is a beautiful car. Must say nicer interior than the S but still 14 miles? Why bother? It really fells like a half-ass attempt at E-drive. And at the same time a way to keep the oil industry pumping

It is obviously a compliance move by BMW. Show's BMW has no interest (unlike Mercedes) in actually advancing technology in electric drive. Basically, something that they can wave as a "we are green!" flag to the governments and get some rebates for the consumer.

The only reason BMW is doing that is to enable their cars to be used in the increasing number of European cities that will not allow fossil fuel burning passenger cars in the city center.

BMW has no real interest in BEVs.

Do you have more details? I found lots of plans, most of them several years away from implementation. The only things I could find right now were congestion charges (London, Oslo, Stockholm) that are waived for EVs.

Ironically I would be excited, not fearful, if Tesla had real competition! More choices for me. ;)

Although I'd only consider them if they would offer Tesla supercharging capability for a reasonable price.
Likewise. I'd consider a non-Tesla EV without supercharging as a complement to our road-trip Tesla, too. We don't have a need for road tripping in two cars simultaneously.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Likewise. I'd consider a non-Tesla EV without supercharging as a complement to our road-trip Tesla, too. We don't have a need for road tripping in two cars simultaneously.
My complement to my fully road trip capable Tesla Model S is...a Tesla Roadster.

I welcome BEVs from other manufacturers that are competitive with what Tesla currently offers and will offer with the Model 3. But even once the Bolt goes on sale, there will not be any "competitive" alternatives to Tesla (as a primary vehicle) because the Bolt will not offer a useful high-speed DC charging network and it's cargo capacity with even 4 adults inside will be extremely limited. And, it's ugly. GM needs to do better. All the other manufacturers needs to just do something, anything that is at least close to what Tesla has been selling for years now.

I welcome BEVs from other manufacturers that are competitive with what Tesla currently offers and will offer with the Model 3.
Exactly. That's what I'm saying - I'd consider one. I see no reason to believe I'm going to see one anytime soon, but there sure as heck better be a day that there are competitive alternatives.

Man, you've said this a bunch in this thread. I think you've single-handedly brought up "status" in this thread more than I've seen in all the other threads on this forum combined in the 3.5 years I've been on it.

At this point I'm reading your posts primarily for entertainment value... but I suspect I know why the BMW thing is such a hot button for you now.

But isn't it interesting that the core of this discussion, the Model 3, is in fact NOT a 'status' vehicle. It's being priced for the 'regular' people. ;)