Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If true then I find it misguided. LESS pollution has value in proportion to the decrease.
Hybrids and plug-in hybrids are, in my opinion, part of the Transition, not the Solution. They are the slow-to-start, foot-dragging, kicking-and-screaming, top-of-their-lungs-denying, last ditch effort by traditional automobile manufacturers to make it seem as if they are sincere when claiming, "Look! We're trying! We're REALLY doing our best over here! But those long-haired barefoot unwashed hippie tree-huggers have us over a barrel! It's all we can do to survive! Please, for the love of all that is holy -- let us keep building ICE vehicles!" I'm... not convinced. Are you? Really?

• Funny
Reactions: gavine and JeffK
This terrifies some of the Teslarati
No one participating in this thread is "terrified" of any BMW with a battery. Regardless of how many times you make that claim, it is not true. Even if BMW made a car with a large battery comparable to the battery sizes that Tesla has been producing for 8 years now, no one here would be "terrified" of BMW. But it is obvious that BMW is years away from making a car with a battery size comparable to what Tesla started producing 8 years ago.

I"m not "terrified" of BMW; the cars they make are too mundane and over-hyped to elicit such a reaction.

I hear ya, but I suppose I'm more willing to accept that part of the drag is consumer preference.
Well, sure. But that consumer preference is largely by the uninitiated. With NADA affiliates blocking Tesla Motors' preferred business model in multiple States, so that test drives cannot be given and pricing cannot be discussed, some don't have a proper frame of reference. And with traditional automobile manufacturers continually reinforcing the notion that a car with a plug simply 'isn't as good' as gasoline power alone, that is another false perception. I also don't like when people claim any plug-in hybrid is 'The Best of Both Worlds!' when it is so obviously hobbled on both fronts. Where is the Ford Mustang Energi Plug-In Hybrid with 120 miles of fully electric range and 500 miles overall range that does 0-60 MPH in 3.5 seconds and completes the quarter mile in 9.8 seconds while clocking 120 MPGe? That would be a car I would happily champion -- and possibly buy!

Reactions: YBT and JeffK
You have to give consumers more choices first then see what their preferences are. You cannot keep putting out cheap strange looking cars and expect people to accept them.
Vote with your dollars; everybody else does. Manufacturers will either respond or go out of business.

I get my angst up a *whole* lot more over anti-competitive actions against Tesla than manufacturers who choose to hedge their electrification offers.

As a point of interest, probably only to me, is that BMW sells cars because it advertises. It probably advertises more than many others and advertises to increase the perceived value of its product so they can charge more. Well, of course, advertising costs a lot of money.

And the comparison of their car to a car made by a company that doesn't need to advertise at all because of what it has, which sells so many that you actually have to "wait", is really funny. BMW has to advertise to move the cars it makes which are *already here*, sitting at the dealer near you, waiting, waiting....

As a point of interest, probably only to me, is that BMW sells cars because it advertises. It probably advertises more than many others and advertises to increase the perceived value of its product so they can charge more. Well, of course, advertising costs a lot of money.

And the comparison of their car to a car made by a company that doesn't need to advertise at all because of what it has, which sells so many that you actually have to "wait", is really funny. BMW has to advertise to move the cars it makes which are *already here*, sitting at the dealer near you, waiting, waiting....
Yes. A very good point. It sort of really throws a big, huge monkey wrench into the works for advertising firms.

I like to point out how I saw a commercial for the Maserati Ghibli during the NFL Playoffs last season. Probably cost around $3,000,000 to air it... and close to $1,000,000 to produce it... And it seems that sales through July 2016 have... slowed, compared to 2015.

I tend to think that advertising firms are better at promoting themselves than any of their Clients.

Print, radio, television, internet... So much spent on advertising. But what exactly do those dollars buy? Because Maserati has sold 6,013 vehicles in the US, while Tesla Motors has sold 22,500 over the same time period this year.

Does 'exclusivity' somehow have more value than sales, somehow? Does advertising give you exclusivity? Wouldn't you be even more exclusive, if you told no one about your products?

I do feel like I belong to an exclusive club, knowing what we know... knowing how clueless the rest of the world is to something so big, so revolutionary... knowing that the skeptics will soon be silenced... knowing that no other company comes close to Tesla... knowing that I'm already in line to receive one of the world's most advanced and superior products in the very near future... knowing that I'm about to experience the Tesla grin, daily! Quite a privilege! :)

Last edited:
I do feel like I belong to an exclusive club, knowing what we know... knowing how clueless the rest of the world is to something so big, so revolutionary... knowing that the skeptics will soon be silenced... knowing that no other company comes close to Tesla... knowing that I'm already in line to receive one of the world's most advanced and superior products in the very near future... knowing that I'm about to experience the Tesla grin, daily! Quite a privilege! :)
I love this post. Here is the thing, though: as much as I agree with your sentiments, I like Tesla/SC/SpaceX/GF the company even more.

Where the hell did my cynical, oldish guy attitude walk off to ?

Sorry, no... 'Status' does nothing whatsoever to clean up the environment.

Actually it does. Among those who are big on reducing GHG, the more sustainable one's lifestyle, net zero home and car, it definitely confers status.

There will be no undercutting of anything but BMW, Lexus, Cadillac, Acura, Jaguar, Infiniti, and Mercedes-Benz sales once the Tesla Model ☰ arrives..

You've still got it backward. The T3 is already helping to boost sales of plug-in hybrids from other mfg.s and will continue to do so once it is delivered. That is actually a mission for Tesla, to boost low emission vehicles of all car mfg. That Tesla is succeeding at its mission and that the BMW 300e is part of that success terrifies some of the Teslarati who take a small provincial view of moving to low emissions automobiles.

Actually it does. Among those who are big on reducing GHG, the more sustainable one's lifestyle, net zero home and car, it definitely confers status.
Once more, 'status' is of no consequence because it is vain, insubstantial, and ephemeral -- therefore inconsequential.

You've still got it backward. The T3 is already helping to boost sales of plug-in hybrids from other mfg.s and will continue to do so once it is delivered. That is actually a mission for Tesla, to boost low emission vehicles of all car mfg. That Tesla is succeeding at its mission and that the BMW 300e is part of that success terrifies some of the Teslarati who take a small provincial view of moving to low emissions automobiles.
No. What boosted sales of high end hybrids is automotive marketing executives learning that most Prius buyers were formerly Lexus owners. You will find no literature from Tesla Motors that advocates 'reducing' emissions from vehicles over eliminating them entirely. There is no terror involved beyond having to reply to your ridiculous comments any further.

Reactions: Chopr147
Where has Tesla actually said their mission is to boost low emission vehicles?

Our goal when we created Tesla a decade ago was the same as it is today: to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible.

The Mission of Tesla

I guess I don't pay much attention to cars but I never heard of the BMW 300e until you mentioned it here. I must be in the wrong sample group. Another plug-in hybrid doesn't interest me.

The reason BMW should be terrified of the Model 3 is that the steering rack in the X is better than those in BMWs, and the Model 3 uses the same supplier for that part.

The T3 is already helping to boost sales of plug-in hybrids from other mfg.s and will continue to do so once it is delivered. That is actually a mission for Tesla, to boost low emission vehicles of all car mfg. That Tesla is succeeding at its mission and that the BMW 300e is part of that success terrifies some of the Teslarati who take a small provincial view of moving to low emissions automobiles.

EaglesPDX, if you are really interested in seeking some mutual understanding and dialogue in conversation, may I suggest you discontinue the notion that people here are attacking BMW's EV efforts because they are terrified of them. I think in your heart of hearts, even you know that is probably not a very big motivation for anyone here - if it is a motivation at all. Get it out of the way, call it a joke gone on long enough or an exaggeration in the heat of the moment, or don't call it anything, but let's move on to the actual beef. Just my opinion and suggestion, of course.

IMO it is quite different to feel people are taking "a small provincial view of moving to low emissions automobiles" than to outright assert they are fearful of BMW. The argument about a small view is far more debatable and should prove more fruitful.

In that vein, to try and steer back:

a) Should we be applauding BMW for their efforts in reducing emissions with the PHEVs and BEVs they currently have (e.g. 330e, i3...)? Is it a "a small provincial view of moving to low emissions automobiles" for disliking/dismissing them? Or is it an understandable or even "the right" view to be annoyed at BMW for actually delaying/prolonging the move away from ICE, arguing that they are a part of the problem, not the solution?

b) Is BMW right/ridiculous/whatever in advertising the 330e to the people waiting for a Model 3? Is it a valid advertisement that we in our EV bubble are just not seeing right, that will help move cars or even help reduce emissions (more than without that ad would happen)? Is BMW merely seeing a potential target market in Model 3 wait-listers and engaging in perfectly normal marketing? Are they even onto a viral winner, given how much talk the ads are generating? Or, indeed, is it a silly idea that indeed makes BMW look fearful (or should we even conclude they are fearful) and gives unwise attention to a competitor and makes no footprint impression anyway?

c) What does Tesla the company think of these kinds of efforts? Both in public (the vision) and in private (the business)?

I would argue there is a real merited debate over these kinds of questions to be had, than the rather unsupportable notion that BMWs very limited - and lately even more delayed (2021?) - efforts are cause of competitive concern for "Teslarati". BMW's efforts are just so, so very small, it is very hard to see how the idea of fear could possibly play into even the most ardent Tesla-only fans thinking, let alone a pure-BEV fans who'd actually like to buy great EVs from whomever (unless we consider the wholly different fear of feeling that BMW's etc. antics are delaying the onset of pure BEV domination, which fear might actually contribute to the annoyed reaction in some manner).

I have no opinion on the success of these BMW ads. I can see it go in any direction. Interesting to see. Personally I found them lame. Stand on your own merits and shoulders, IMO, not on others. But sure, they can work. Bad ads sometimes do.

I have to disagree with you on Tesla's mission, though: I think the company's whole stated worldview hinges of compelling battery electric vehicles entering the market. The company has been driven, in public at least, by dislike for transitional efforts like the 330e and instead going for big bold moves that change the world much more quickly - and being the example, the catalyst for that big bold change. Tesla is not about only reducing emissions, their worldview obviously is removing them from running of the car entirely, so that improvements in energy production wherever (e.g. solar) can keep reducing the overall footprint indefinitely - and at the very, very least, their worldview is creating compelling battery electric cars (and no weirdmobiles). I would argue they'd say 330e and i3 as they stand are not compelling in that department.

While only Tesla can answer what they as a company want, I thus sincerely doubt what they - vision-wise, at least - want is a road to the future paved with 330e's. I would wager their vision would rather see a world where even major manufacturer is gearing up efforts similar to Superchargers and Model 3 and Gigafactory. Instead from BMW and other high-end Germans we have very limited battery range or very limited production/marketing vehicles and some plans for Model S/X competition (mind you, not Model 3, no known Gigafactory solution, no known Supercharger network) in two-three (or in the case of BMW, five) years time. Maybe business-wise Tesla is relishing the situation, it does seem to give them quite a long headstart for selling BEVs to the masses.

Again, I think a lot of people here are more willing to hand some applause to the non-Germans. Go Bolt, Go Leaf. Outside of the PHEV/EREV label debate, even Volt gets a better rapport here than a 330e and Volt/Bolt actually is positioned to compete with Tesla in at least regional sales figures (Volt is actually a competent PHEV, unlike some). At least there is some effort there! But what we've so far seen come from the land of the autobahn is dragging their EV heels. A lot of us here, I think, are long-time buyers of German automobiles. I've bought 10+ high-end Germans, personally. If a lot of us are now standing up and saying we're no longer doing that because they used to be the future and now they are the past, maybe the Germans should listen.

As a final footnote, after reading some of this conversation I actually headed on to BMW's website last night and downloaded their 330e materials (advertisement success!). As I was looking its special features, like the blue eDrive trim under the doors and their attempts at sound insipired and forward-thinking (and with stuff like a man with a giant blue-glowing charging station standing in front of his house - for what, a 110V/240V wall-plug), I genuinely just felt sad. It was a sad effort to put a seriously overestated and in-your-face label on what really is such a limited effort. At least the car outside looks pretty normal, which can't be said of the i3. I mean, maybe the average Joe buys into that hyperbole, but anyone knowing better is just sad of what has become of these brands that used to be the face of genuine progress. German marketing faszination is just so much easier to buy into when it promotes real advantages, it seems.

Instead of progress, they've become a joke.

I'd rather BMW didn't try to dress it up so much, because like this ad, to me it just makes a perfectly serviceable PHEV drivetrain seem idiotic because they tried to make it into something it is not (instead of a serviceable drivetrain, trying to make it seem like the future). I'd rather they'd just market it lowkey, because it is a lowkey thing.

This made me appreciate Tesla's efforts even more, because they are based actually making big bold changes in what the cars actually are and do, while making normal cars with only functional differences in appearance. BMWs EV attempts are more akin to putting futuristic lipstick on a pig. If they were great EVs then maybe I could look past all that lipstick and appreciate it as a somewhat appropriate styling, but now it just feels seriously sad to me. When you can't win on features, dress it up, is a sure sign of failure in my worldview.

Very, very uninspirational, Germans. Keine Vorsprung, to expand the comment.