Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Idea of TX and TS owners tutting about Porsche owners driving fast, expensive, limited production cars is more than a bit hypocritical.
The Tesla Model S outsold the entire Porsche 911 and Cayenne offerings (their two best sellers) in the US combined during 2015. That's not 'limited' or 'exclusive' at all. Charging $263,900 as a starting price for the top-of-the-line Panamera is something to be tutted til Kingdom Come in a world where the Tesla Model S P90D exists. And yes, the Model S outsold the Panamera by 5.3:1 during 2015. That isn't 'exclusive' either. [FLOG] Porsche.

Just yes...and leave the hubris at home.
One man's hubris is another man's innovation. One man's ugly piece of crap... is still an ugly piece of crap. One man's half-assed attempt to convince people that an ugly piece of crap isn't... is pretty darned pitiful.

I like hubris. It gets things done. Unlike arrogance. It isn't arrogance if you can do it.

Reactions: JeffK
I doubt that drop in BMW sales is directly due to model 3 reservations. If you are returning a lease on a BMW now, you don't have the option of getting a Model 3 now. Realistically normal production Model 3 cars are probably 3 years out.

Current drop in sales with the 3 series is more likely due to the fact that the 3 series isn't really what it used to be. I know people have been saying that forever, but the current 3 series is quite watered down and thus isn't as well differentiated from its competition like it used to be, and its a *lot* more expensive than it used to be.

If Elon can deliver an all electric sedan that is great at 35k, and drives like a good 3 series, then they should be scared. Thats what he says he's going to do, and so far he's been doing what he says (albeit a bit behind schedule).

Last edited:
Kind of like Tesla until the working man's T3 comes out. It's called a status symbol. A way to let everyone know that you can afford to drop 100 large on a car and one that is in limited supply. And a killer in the boys will boys stoplight races. Idea of TX and TS owners tutting about Porsche owners driving fast, expensive, limited production cars is more than a bit hypocritical. The Prius, Leaf, Volt and BMW i3 owners actually get a bit more low emissions street cred since they drive non-status cars.

If a T3 depositor were to switch to an i3, it's all good. One more low emissions EV on the road NOW. The big game, Tesla and Musk's big game, is get as many people as possible building and buying low emissions vehicle. If BMW can get a wavering T3'er into an EV NOW, that's a good thing.
You have been on this forum long enough to know differently. I was a little surprised myself S owners are not "rich and famous" . While sure some are wealthy, most appear to be like myself. Middle class but willing to stretch the wallet for a car, something that is out of the ordinary. How many times have we read "never spent this much on a car before" with no regrets!
I'm still waiting on delivery but I am not above the stop light, macho race crowd. It will be refreshing for me after lumbering around in a Yukon for the last 8 years :)

And then there was the huge super heavy duty diesel pickup truck that was purposely blocking me and pumping his pedal to blow exhaust my way - him I took the bait and silently left him in the dust.

Good old rolling coal. I was behind one of those the other day and it had a "South Jersey Coal Rollers" sticker on the back. I should have taken a picture. I was waiting for him to smoke me up, but he didn't for some reason. Maybe because it is illegal in New Jersey:

'Coal rolling' ban approved by N.J. Senate

You have been on this forum long enough to know differently. I was a little surprised myself S owners are not "rich and famous" . While sure some are wealthy, most appear to be like myself. Middle class but willing to stretch the wallet for a car, something that is out of the ordinary. How many times have we read "never spent this much on a car before" with no regrets!
I'm still waiting on delivery but I am not above the stop light, macho race crowd. It will be refreshing for me after lumbering around in a Yukon for the last 8 years :)
Thank you for dumping that giant ICE-mobile!!!:)

Reactions: Red Sage
You might be thinking small. Musk wants every car mfg. to build EV's and to succeed. EV's are good. EV car ads are good. Idea behind Tesla is to make a space for EV's and for the main stream car mfgs to follow.

Your point is valid, but in this case BMW is probably doing what Safeway has tried to do with locally grown organic foods; they are promoting an illusion of the alternative. In the end, these ads indicate that BMW clearly understands what consumers want, but instead of giving them the actual alternative, they are hoping they can sell the feeling packaged in the same old wrapper. It is possible that they will eventually change their ways, but at this point they are hoping they can fool consumers into thinking they have changed their ways.

Your point is valid, but in this case BMW is probably doing what Safeway has tried to do with locally grown organic foods; they are promoting an illusion of the alternative. In the end, these ads indicate that BMW clearly understands what consumers want, but instead of giving them the actual alternative, they are hoping they can sell the feeling packaged in the same old wrapper. It is possible that they will eventually change their ways, but at this point they are hoping they can fool consumers into thinking they have changed their ways.

Here is the crazy thing... the BMW 330e with options costs $62,345, so you don't have to wait at all, just buy a Model S for $66,000!!!

And now this....from Car and Driver: "With gentle accelerator pressure, the iPerformance will motor up to a top speed of 75 mph for a maximum of 14 miles, according to BMW, assuming the battery was fully charged at the start. When the driver inevitably grows weary of turtle mode, pressing deeper on the accelerator pedal—say, to execute a safe pass—automatically fires up the turbo four-cylinder."

Here is the crazy thing... the BMW 330e with options costs $62,345, so you don't have to wait at all, just buy a Model S for $66,000!!!

And now this....from Car and Driver: "With gentle accelerator pressure, the iPerformance will motor up to a top speed of 75 mph for a maximum of 14 miles, according to BMW, assuming the battery was fully charged at the start. When the driver inevitably grows weary of turtle mode, pressing deeper on the accelerator pedal—say, to execute a safe pass—automatically fires up the turbo four-cylinder."
When the driver inevitably grows weary of turtle mode, he wonders why he bought this pretend EV instead of a Tesla.

Great point! A base 60 with zero options is so far ahead of that 330e is isn't even funny. Its like comparing the old clam shell phone to an iPhone.

Your point is valid, but in this case BMW is probably doing what Safeway has tried to do with locally grown organic foods; they are promoting an illusion of the alternative.

Actually you have it upside down. Tesla and Musk's goal is more to convert the car mfgs and society to EV's than to build a Tesla brand. That BMW and others mfg, promote and sell EV's and Hybrid EV's is the goal to cut oil use and to cut pollution. The other car mfg's have sold millions of them to Tesla's 100,00. The remarks here disparaging BMW's i3 are really disparaging Tesla and Musk's goals.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
Actually you have it upside down. Tesla and Musk's goal is more to convert the car mfgs and society to EV's than to build a Tesla brand. That BMW and others mfg, promote and sell EV's and Hybrid EV's is the goal to cut oil use and to cut pollution. The other car mfg's have sold millions of them to Tesla's 100,00. The remarks here disparaging BMW's i3 are really disparaging Tesla and Musk's goals.
Building crappy pretend EVs does not further that goal. If anything it just biases the general public against EVs even more than they already are. Which is probably why the legacy manufacturers build such cars.

Actually you have it upside down. Tesla and Musk's goal is more to convert the car mfgs and society to EV's than to build a Tesla brand. That BMW and others mfg, promote and sell EV's and Hybrid EV's is the goal to cut oil use and to cut pollution.
Tesla's mission statement, in part, says "...to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible".
I'm not sure you could call the BMW in ad either "electric" or "compelling".