Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lost a lot of respect for BMW for that ad. I'd rather they compete on what they do best, engineering, style, and driving performance. I'd love to see what their fully electric 3-series will be like. I think we all win if there are more alternatives/competition that drives innovation as each company "borrows" the best ideas from their competitors to improve their cars. I'm hoping the Bolt does well enough to provide extra motivation for Tesla to make the 3 even better. I also hope my reservation # is early enough I can order my config sometime next year vs 2018 ... hope springs eternal :p

Demographics and economics make your online assessment invalid. While Americans typically pay more for a car then they should based on a budget, Tesla at $100,000 plus is THREE TIMES the average car price.

Based on rule of thumb, car costs should be 10% of your income. At just the $66K for the cheapest Tesla, that's $660,000 yearly income. And that for a Tesla that few have purchased with most purchased to date in the $100K range.
With about 40% of the purchase price in the battery, you can't use the purchase price like that, as the battery is more equivalent to prepaid fuel.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
The remarks here disparaging BMW's i3 are really disparaging Tesla and Musk's goals.
I disagree. The i3 is being disparaged because it in fact fails to help achieve Teslas' objective, which is to build "compelling" EVs. Instead the i3 furthers the stereotype many people have that EVs are weird looking cars that can't go very far because their battery poops out after a short trip and then the onboard ICE has to start up because it takes so long to charge the battery that the driver doesn't want to stop and charge.

With about 40% of the purchase price in the battery, you can't use the purchase price like that, as the battery is more equivalent to prepaid fuel.

Uh...no...electricity is the "fuel" the battery is the "gas tank".

Instead the i3 furthers the stereotype many people have that EVs are weird looking cars that can't go very far because their battery poops out after a short trip and then the onboard ICE has to start up

Uh...no...i3 can be purchased without the kicker and with 80 mile range.

The i3 is being disparaged because it in fact fails to help achieve Teslas' objective, which is to build "compelling" EVs.

Only according to handful of Tesla snobs. 4,500 BMW i3's to Tesla 14,000 S's or 7,600 X's. That's a great contribution. Leaf, i3, eGolf, Focus EV et al are all doing their part in converting to EV's, 72% of plug in's sold this year.

No, having charging at you place of work is just a fine alternative.

It's an alternative but it's far from fine. It's a pain in the butt especially as more EV's compete for the spots. And it imposes constant range anxiety (EV's biggest nemesis) as one uses charge on the ride home so one is always at home at less than full charge and obsessing over where to charge.

Home charging is key to EV's, even to the overall plan for EV nation. The "out of house" charging is for long distance travel, emergency, etc.

Uh...no...i3 can be purchased without the kicker and with 80 mile range.
I am aware of that. Many people buy the i3 with the onboard generator because it's EV range is so low.
From the looks of this thread gone wild, it is the BMW i3 that is terrifying some of the Teslarati.
That's a laugh. The i3 is incapable of terrifying anyone. It does look pretty weird though...

Reactions: esk8mw and Red Sage
Based on rule of thumb, car costs should be 10% of your income. At just the $66K for the cheapest Tesla, that's $660,000 yearly income.

With that logic, the average family should be buying 10 year old beater... Average household income in the US is $69k so 10% would mean that everyone should be buying $7000 cars...

I think the rule of thumb is actually 10% of your income per year; so that would mean a budget of $583/month...

$33,000 average cost of new car in US...
-$6,000 20% down payment
-----------
$27,000 = $497 / Month + $86 month for gas.... Magic!

So.... $1,000 / Month for a Model S 60D | PANO | AP | NEXTGEN = $12,000/yr

So to match the rule of thumb, the purchaser would need to make $120,000/yr

So, demographics matters too. I want the mdl 3. Already have the S and thinking of selling it or giving it away in an employee drawing.
Model S is overkill for me.
So now you're back to claiming you have a Model S. The implication that you're now an employer rather than employee is new since you've said in another post you're a Network Administrator for MIT. Someone so generous as to give away his car because they've made a killing in Tesla stock yet won't even spend $2,500 for SuperCharging.

Now you can see why I sold all my shares

Average new car price is $33.781 x 3 = $101,343. Is the $1,343 confusing?
Hey, nice. Selective quoting! Let me give it a try...

Uh...no...electricity is the kicker and with BMW far from fine. It's a pain in the butt especially for the spots. And it imposes constant charge on the ride home so one is always at home at full charge.

Home charging is the overall plan for "out of house" charging. From the looks of the BMW i3 that is terrifying.

I guess we can all do that.

I've given you the benefit of the doubt numerous times, including the whole reservation number thing. In the post you quoted, I even gave you an out - maybe you're doing this on purpose. Now it's pretty clear. Nobody's that thick. You're here for the reaction, and nothing more.

Never forget that where you live also matters on how much you make in each profession.
Say a server admin over here in NYC makes 1/2 of what the same laid back job is in California.
The same job just 200 miles nw of Boston, MA will be 2/5th of the Cali job. So, by doing these
numbers based on income doesn't seem right to me. What matters is how good you are with
saving/investing.
So, demographics matters too. I want the mdl 3. Already have the S and thinking of selling it or giving it away in an employee drawing.
Model S is overkill for me.

Please find something more constructive to do with your time.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage and esk8mw
Only according to handful of Tesla snobs. 4,500 BMW i3's to Tesla 14,000 S's or 7,600 X's. That's a great contribution. Leaf, i3, eGolf, Focus EV et al are all doing their part in converting to EV's, 72% of plug in's sold this year.

I believe the OP had attached two videos, and both of them showed a BMW 330e.
There have been 218 Units sold in the US so far this year.
And they start @ $45K.
And they travel 14 miles in electric mode.
>>>>This to me is a complete fail.
Why not get at least 23 miles like the i8? (another EV fail, but at least it is somewhat handsome).
Simply put: BMW is going in the wrong (EV) direction as far as range...
More like LACK of range.

Not to completely disparage the i3, but how many of them have the REX, and how many are fully BEV?
100% of Teslas are BEV.
80 miles of electric range for the i3 is okay (for city driving), but the car body has some eccentric characteristics.
e.g.: access to rear seating only if front door is opened first, lack of useable storage space.
Parts of the car on close inspection appear to be, well, -- unfinished and unresolved.

Yes, the goal is to have multiple offerings of viable and handsome EVs from multiple suppliers and manufacturers.
The latest offering from BMW is odd, and the strategy of the ad to "avoid the wait" missed the mark.
And most people who I talk to agree, the i3 is an odd looking car.
Electric or otherwise.
Why BMW spent to much time, money and effort and the i3 is the BEST they could come up with as an EV?
They need to back to the drawing board with sharper pencils for their next EV "contribution".

smh

Reactions: Red Sage and AndreN
With that logic, the average family should be buying 10 year old beater.

It's not "logic" it is basic budgeting that you will find in just about all financial planning programs. http://www.moneyunder30.com/

Bottom line is that a $100K car is luxury purchase done by those in the top 20% income bracket. The BMW i3 is around $48K. With the T3 two years out for most people, BMW's i3 is a fair replacement. The i3 is selling well and on track for nearly 10,000 sales this year. That is exactly what Tesla and Musk want...Tesla to spur more EV sales.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Bottom line is that a $100K car is luxury purchase done by those in the top 20% income bracket.
Top 20% income in the US is right around $100k/year. So now you think that salary and car purchase price should be equivalent, not at a 10, 20, or 30% ratio?

Numbers aren't really as flexible as you seem to think.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage and esk8mw
It's not "logic" it is basic budgeting that you will find in just about all financial planning programs. http://www.moneyunder30.com/

Bottom line is that a $100K car is luxury purchase done by those in the top 20% income bracket. The BMW i3 is around $48K. With the T3 two years out for most people, BMW's i3 is a fair replacement. The i3 is selling well and on track for nearly 10,000 sales this year. That is exactly what Tesla and Musk want...Tesla to spur more EV sales.

S60 is affordable with income under 100k, as long as you have budget and planning skills. The cost savings over 8 years over some gasoline car with similar size and performance for a commuter is very substantial. It's quite easy to get into a situation with a long commute and a car in the mid to high 20's where you've spent more for gasoline and oil changes than the purchase price of the car.

Reactions: Red Sage