Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I choose the self-checkout because I find it's generally faster. I also like that they typically have one queue for four "registers" so there's a FIFO aspect that's more fair than the traditional grocery store queueing. That said, I did make a mistake the other day by bringing beer into the self-checkout line, so I wound up being the guy you're talking about. :oops:
Yes, it normally is much faster, which is why I think it hurts so much those rare times when it isn't. I've been the beer guy too

Ah, you forgot about the guy who has a coupon that won't scan or needs to be manually entered. Then the line just stops until the guy (who has the deer-in-the-headlights "what am I gonna do now" look on his face) flags down a clerk who's trying to ring customers through a typical checkout.
Of the guy that has the one thing they keep scanning and putting on the belt and the weight is off so it keeps sending it back

• Funny
Reactions: MassModel3
Yes, it normally is much faster, which is why I think it hurts so much those rare times when it isn't. I've been the beer guy too

Of the guy that has the one thing they keep scanning and putting on the belt and the weight is off so it keeps sending it back
Or the guy with kids, where the kids either keep pressing on the belt, or removing the item immediately after you place it there. Either way, it throws off the tempo of scan, wait for ridiculously underpowered computer to beep, bag (while you're waiting, if the tempo is right), wait for ridiculously underpowered computer to register the item on the belt, repeat.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage and dsvick
What Elon Musk said was never in question.

Apparently it was since someone didn't realize Musk was talking about average purchase price of T3

The dead horse was YOU bringing up the long dead discussion of what "average" means.

I pointed out someone confused median price with average price, a few of the torch and pitchfork crowd, terrorized by the BMW330e than ran off shouting and gesticulating about it.

I would not worry about this being an issue. Battery packs will be manufactured well ahead of time. I would expect that several thousand will be on hand at Fremont well before October 1, 2017.

Don't forget, when the production ramp is completed, Tesla will be building > 7,500 Model 3s a week. Several thousand battery packs on hand will be pretty close to "just in time" not a big cushion.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Don't forget, when the production ramp is completed, Tesla will be building > 7,500 Model 3s a week. Several thousand battery packs on hand will be pretty close to "just in time" not a big cushion.
I absolutely agree. I hope Tesla can/have produce 7,500 battery "Packs" per week.

They have given their vendors a production date of July 1'st next year. I hope they are ready with their own 2170 battery packs. God knows they have enough room to produce them.

Reactions: Red Sage
I absolutely agree. I hope Tesla can/have produce 7,500 battery "Packs" per week.

They have given their vendors a production date of July 1'st next year. I hope they are ready with their own 2170 battery packs. God knows they have enough room to produce them.

When we toured the Gigafactory, one of the tour leaders said something to the effect that when it is fully operational, it will be able to manufacture//produce enough batteries for a Model 3 every three minutes.

I wonder when "fully operational" is. 3 months from now? 3 years from now?

They currently have multiple crews outside digging and pouring piers and building new sections of the building 24 hours a day.
Seven days a week.

They have roughly 14% of the building frame, roof, walls and interior built/finished, and they are now installing equipment, racks, robots, etc. inside.
s
So multiply the size of the building by SEVEN, and it will be completed.

As far as the time-frame for completion of the building, certainly a lot longer than three months.
I think the shock of the number of reservations for the Model 3 blew Tesla Motors away, and they are responding the most expedient way that they physically and fiscally can.

Big buildings do not get built overnight.
HUGE Buildings take even longer to build.
And then all the equipment has to be purchased, installed and orchestrated to operate correctly.
By BOTH Tesla and Panasonic.

The two (parallel) paths of the Gigafactory and Model 3 need to converge so that BOTH ventures can be fully successful.

Without the need for the colossal quantities of batteries (for Model 3 initially and then eventually the Model S and Model X along with Power Wall and Power Pack), the Gigafactory makes no sense.
Without the source for leading-edge-technology lower-cost batteries, the Model 3 makes no sense.
And since THIS Gigafactory is NOT on the other side of the Pacific, only a train-ride over the mountains to Fremont delivers the batteries.

The goal is for the first 21-70 batteries to be manufactured//produced in the Gigafactory by the end of 2016, if not sooner.
So very shortly, great things will start happening out by Clark, just West of Reno.

Is this just the 2170 cells? Or are you talking about putting them all in modules then complete a full pack in 3 minutes?
I'd assume by the quote it meant literally enough cells for a model 3 battery within 3 minutes... not a full battery assembly. There's no way to measure that except with an average, whereas you could measure the cells per minute fairly accurately.

Reactions: Red Sage
When we toured the Gigafactory, one of the tour leaders said something to the effect that when it is fully operational, it will be able to manufacture//produce enough batteries for a Model 3 every three minutes.

That sounds way too slow. Even if you assume the factory is running 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, that is only enough for 175,200 cars a year. 20 cars per hour X 24 hours a day X 365 days a year.

Yeah. I posted elsewhere...
I expect that they will need several thousand battery packs on hand well before they begin building cars. They will probably start off at a rate of around 4,000 vehicles per week. Then ramp up as quickly as possible to 8,000 per week. So, it would be very good to have perhaps three months' worth of battery packs on hand, in the proportion of expected distribution. How quickly battery packs can be produced at Sparks and delivered to Fremont may well determine how fast the cars can be built. I think that perhaps only 20% to 30% of cars will have the highest capacity battery pack, if that is only paired with the Performance trim as I hope.