Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The model 3 door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just hope they don't come in chrome like that. It would be a finger print magnet and yes, it will be scorching hot in the sun, and ice cold in the winter. :)
They should offer them in body color. That would blend the handles in with the car even better and make the overall appearance even more slick.

It looks like the hockey stick handles would be much more uncomfortable than the standard straight style from the MS. When you grab it your thumb is higher than the rest of your fingers. So you're thumb pushes it in at the higher point. If it was flat then when you tried to grab it your wrist would have to be more flat which would probably be less awkward. It seems like if they reversed it and made them curve down instead of up it would make much more sense from an ergonomic standpoint.

It seems that Tesla is diligent about testing their products in winter conditions. I really hope that the same is done here. Not only to offer something solid to pull on in the event the door is frozen shut as a previous poster mentioned, but also if there is a glaze of ice over the whole handle and/or in the cavity behind the handle. Given Tesla's popularity in Norway, I'm sure this is on their radar.

On the hockey stick style handles, the part you actually pull on looked awfully thin and potentially uncomfortable with a square cross section. I hope they work on the ergonomics. I can already tell my mom (in her 70s) will have trouble with this style of handle. I'm kind of hoping they have an auto-present option (either handle a la S or door a la X).

It seems that Tesla is diligent about testing their products in winter conditions. I really hope that the same is done here. Not only to offer something solid to pull on in the event the door is frozen shut as a previous poster mentioned, but also if there is a glaze of ice over the whole handle and/or in the cavity behind the handle. Given Tesla's popularity in Norway, I'm sure this is on their radar.
Heated door handles probably? I really like the look of the hockey stick handles, but like some of us here I do wonder about the ergonomics.

BTW, I totally predicted these door handles a week ago...

Just so you're aware a picture of these handles was posted back in December:) I know because I posted it. door handles.PNG

Reactions: Brad_SC
I much prefer the Model S style doors aesthetically, but with the functionality of the Model 3 prototype. Although in my opinion, the reason they probably went to the "hockey stick" shape was to make it more easily recognizable so that passengers or those who don't typically ride in this car can find the handle. The L shaped handle has a way more obvious button to press. This seems more new customer friendly.

I much prefer the Model S style doors aesthetically, but with the functionality of the Model 3 prototype. Although in my opinion, the reason they probably went to the "hockey stick" shape was to make it more easily recognizable so that passengers or those who don't typically ride in this car can find the handle. The L shaped handle has a way more obvious button to press. This seems more new customer friendly.

I'm still worried people I'm picking up will walk up to the car and have no idea what to do. I actually like the look of the hockey stick handles better though (or at least they are new, the S design is kind of old at this stage).

I'm still worried people I'm picking up will walk up to the car and have no idea what to do. I actually like the look of the hockey stick handles better though (or at least they are new, the S design is kind of old at this stage).
Fair enough. I think as a Model 3 reservation holder that has been waiting for this car for what seems like forever, I am so used to Model S as the standard. It's just a matter of accepting and getting used to all of the cool new designs that come with the Model 3! Example: Horizontal touch screen or the "unknown" invisible instrument cluster that everyone seems to be freaking out about.

I'm not sure if there will be an option for auto-presenting doors on the 3, something that is available with the X, but I would love to see a tech package with Auto-Pilot and the whole nine yards of tech greatness.

I'm not sure if there will be an option for auto-presenting doors on the 3, something that is available with the X, but I would love to see a tech package with Auto-Pilot and the whole nine yards of tech greatness.
After two weeks of waiting for the repair of a Model X front door latch, I want reliability without losing the ability to enjoy the vehicle. Driving around with a door ajar that won't pull in to latch, constant beeping, no AP or cruise and only one touchscreen method to lock Model X isn't fun and not safe.

Reactions: Red Sage
I seems like you can press the left side with any fingers. Doesn't necessarily need to be the thumb.
Once you press the left side of the handle, the door opens and you can just grab the door to fully open it