TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The model 3 door handles

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by 1208, Apr 1, 2016.

1. 1208

1208 Active Member

#1 1208, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    S style (not function) door handles.

giphy (1).gif

• Like x 3
  2. Oil4AsphaultOnly

The door handles look manual. Actually, I think these would be better than the S and X handles! They're flush, yet won't fail to auto-present. I'm liking them!

• Like x 1
  3. djplong

djplong Member

The door handles are for right-handed people, from the looks of that video snippet. People reaching with their right hands, right thumb pressing on the 'tab' with fingers grabbing the 'stem' that comes out.

If you're left-handed (like my wife), you reach with your LEFT hand which has the thumb on the RIGHT side...

• Helpful x 1
  4. 1208

1208 Active Member

The L shaped or Model 3 style door handle

giphy (2).gif

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Does the door pop open when pushing in on the handle? It looks like the rest of the handle pops out but in this case, he isn't even using the handle.

• Like x 1
  6. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Obviously you need to let your wife drive...

• Funny x 6
  7. youlikeadajuice

Depends which side of the car you're on. Driver's side they would work better for lefties. Which I believe is what Thos is saying ;)

• Like x 2
  8. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

Based on the short look in 1208's post it may be similar to the Roadster in that the handle is an actuator that releases the door and you can then pull the door (or the handle) to open it.

• Informative x 1
  9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Unless you are in a right hand drive market like UK or Japan, in which case the opposite is true!

• Like x 1
  10. Skryll

Skryll Member

The self presenting door handles are so cool on the S - like the car stretches out a hand to greet you... miss that on the X...

11. Brad_NC

Brad_NC Member

So, a "lefty" on the passenger side of the vehicle must turn their hand to have their palm facing upward. OK, now walk to the driver's side of the car, pretend that you're "righty"... now what? (really, think about it if you must)

There is no bias here, the handles are not designed for a right-handed (nor a left-handed) person... they are just designed the way they are.

Everyone needs to think a wee bit more objectively.

• Like x 1
  12. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

Turn your hand over with the palm up and grip the hockey stick from the bottom. Problem solved.

13. Brad_NC

Brad_NC Member

BTW, I totally predicted these door handles a week ago...

• Like x 2
  14. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#14 stopcrazypp, Apr 1, 2016
    Thanks for this picture. I was wondering the differences in functionality and they seem similar (only styling is different). I am okay with this kind of pop up design (others said the L shaped ones were a button only, but your picture shows it is still a handle, albeit a smaller one). Seems like it'll be less expensive and hopefully more reliable than the Model S handles.

15. PV1

PV1 Member

I'm right handed, but it totally depends on which side of the car I'm on. On the left hand side of the car (US Driver side), I use my left hand to open the door. On the passenger side, I use my right hand to open the door, in both cases so that I swing the door away from me.

If I use my right hand on the left side of the car, I would be pulling the door towards me, or I have my back to the car.

• Like x 3
  16. ByICE

ByICE Member

I just hope that they are heated. I can see them getting stuck with ice. And cooled, as that thin metal will heat up like crazy. They also look like they can bent easily. I am sure that they are still working on these, as evidently Tesla crew was careful...not to use them.

• Like x 4
  17. keydiver

keydiver Member

Did anyone else think of the door handles that Kindig It Design (TV show Bitchin' Rides) puts on all their cars:
    [​IMG]
    There are several other styles in their store:
    Kindig-it Patent Smooth Door Handles

• Like x 1
  18. eisbock

eisbock Member

Agreed. Those are some thin pieces of metal. Even the employees that use the handles as a handle touch them oh so gingerly.

19. zammboss

zammboss Member

my guess is they are not the final design. i feel like they will be more like the model s. there is no need for them to put the cost into those door handles right now. they just need something to open the doors.

• Like x 3
  20. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

#20 Subhuman, Apr 1, 2016
    Absolutely my first thought when I saw them. Dave's awesome. If I had a 100,000 grand to costumize a car I would definitely take it to him.