Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The model 3 door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found it interesting that the handles were L-shaped on the Silver and Red cars, but Model S-shaped on the Grey Matte car. Either way, it's nice to know all the people who kept calling for 'regular car handles' or 'painted plastic door handles' will be miffed. I am SO happy that Tesla Motors will not be raiding the parts bin at Toyota or Honda for circa 1992 door handles.

Reactions: ZAKEEUS and int32_t
There's a lot going on with the Model 3 prototypes shown that is not finalized. I'm betting that even if the final design are levers like this, the self presenting handles we see on the Model S could very well be an optional upgrade. At least I hope so.

The door handles are for right-handed people, from the looks of that video snippet. People reaching with their right hands, right thumb pressing on the 'tab' with fingers grabbing the 'stem' that comes out.

If you're left-handed (like my wife), you reach with your LEFT hand which has the thumb on the RIGHT side...
It's going to be the other way 'round on the other side ...

EDIT: Never mind, somebody got to it before me. :)

There's a lot going on with the Model 3 prototypes shown that is not finalized. I'm betting that even if the final design are levers like this, the self presenting handles we see on the Model S could very well be an optional upgrade. At least I hope so.
I hoped so too, until I heard from a local Tesla owner that he's still having issues with the door handles on his 2014 Model S even though they've been replaced several times. Usually it's the driver's side that doesn't present while the rest do. Honestly the Model 3 handles are a brilliant low-tech solution to just about every possible issue, be it looks, aerodynamics, excessive complexity, or functionality.

These handles are just like some on other well known cars, and are really what Tesla should have done all along. They aren't as "fancy" as the Model S handles, but they are far more practical, and serve exactly the same purpose as far as drag goes.

As to why Tesla did it, I'm sure it's not because these are better (which they are) because Tesla loves flashy, it's because these are far cheaper, and they need to find ways to save some money if they're to hit the price point in the model 3. It doesn't hurt that these are also more reliable, and lighter weight, all of which are good things.

As for left vs right handed, as was pointed out elsewhere, when you approach a car, you generally want to use whichever hand is closer to the hinge to open the door, this opens the door away from you so it's easier to get in, as opposed to towards you which is always awkward. I know we wouldn't normally even think about such an automatic thing, but pay attention next time you approach a car, and even try using the other hand than the one that naturally reaches for the handle, you'll find this is the right way to do this, right handed on the right side of the vehicle, left handed on the left.

As for the different handles on the different cars at the reveal, I'm sure they needed every prototype they could get for that reveal, so used various ones from various times, I bet their first ones started with the MS shape, and later they decided to go with the L instead. I think the L is better. Keep in mind, there's still a lot of time for the design to change yet, and I suspect many things will (for instance I'll be SHOCKED if that touch screen doesn't get recessed in to the dash)

... Keep in mind, there's still a lot of time for the design to change yet, and I suspect many things will (for instance I'll be SHOCKED if that touch screen doesn't get recessed in to the dash)
Yup, that's one of the things that changed on the X before production too. On the prototype it protruded above the dash. It would make the car roomier if recessed, and it wouldn't vibrate during driving. The vibrating reflections I could see being very distracting ... ever tried to read outdoors on a laptop with a weak hinge? :p

The self presenting door handles are so cool on the S - like the car stretches out a hand to greet you... miss that on the X...
Until they fail and you're stuck w/paying a whole bunch of money to replace them.

[proposed] Class action lawsuit against tesla - door handles unreliable mentions $1300 a pop. And some have been thru a bunch of handle replacements (e.g. [proposed] Class action lawsuit against tesla - door handles unreliable).

Hope they stick w/what appears to be mechanism that is WAY less likely to fail.

I'm right handed, but it totally depends on which side of the car I'm on. On the left hand side of the car (US Driver side), I use my left hand to open the door. On the passenger side, I use my right hand to open the door, in both cases so that I swing the door away from me.

If I use my right hand on the left side of the car, I would be pulling the door towards me, or I have my back to the car.

I'm a lefty and I just always have adapted to whatever is presented. I use my left hand to open the driver's side doors and my right hand for the passenger side doors. So, the 3's door handles won't phase me at all.

I miss my left-handed notebook!

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Note the unusual way they are handling the doors (in most cases, they are not actually pulling on the handle). This could just be because they were trying to avoid putting finger prints all over the show cars. That, or maybe the handles need further revision before they are ready for regular use.

Hard to tell for sure, but I would guess the doors are electrically actuated like the S and X. The push in of the button triggers the release, and the handle just gives you something to grab (pulling the handle would also push the button, but you have to push the button just a little in order to grab the handle).

All in all, I really like where they are going with these handles. The L shape looks cool, it's flush, and I suspect the final design will be pretty reliable. Perfect for the Model 3.

Reactions: 1208
Note the unusual way they are handling the doors (in most cases, they are not actually pulling on the handle). This could just be because they were trying to avoid putting finger prints all over the show cars. That, or maybe the handles need further revision before they are ready for regular use.

Hard to tell for sure, but I would guess the doors are electrically actuated like the S and X. The push in of the button triggers the release, and the handle just gives you something to grab (pulling the handle would also push the button, but you have to push the button just a little in order to grab the handle).

All in all, I really like where they are going with these handles. The L shape looks cool, it's flush, and I suspect the final design will be pretty reliable. Perfect for the Model 3.

I noticed this to and was just about to say. it felt a little awkward the way they opened the door with 2 hands. I have never needed 2 hands to open a door. this was a sign to me that those handles are not yet complete.

as for finger prints, was it just me or did anyone else notice what looked like finger prints all over the trunk of the matte color model 3?

I just hope that they are heated. I can see them getting stuck with ice. And cooled, as that thin metal will heat up like crazy. They also look like they can bent easily. I am sure that they are still working on these, as evidently Tesla crew was careful...not to use them.
Agreed, if they can make sure (or even mitigate) them getting frozen it would be perfect. Based on videos/pictures I think that solution combines both style and function in a perfect way.

The door handles look flimsy and kind of a hassle to me. I guess that if the doors are locked they won't allow you to push in to prevent it from breaking. On my leaf it is a one action thing just pull, I know it doesn't look as cool. I feel like tesla should unify things like this that doors open same way. Imagine a house hold with S3X and have to open doors differently on each car. Same goes with the center console and dash screen. The 3 should have dash for the driver info like the s & x and same landscape or portrait screen format either changel s & x to have landscape or 3 to have portrait. I like landscape. Again imagine same previous house hold here. I could continue on with the look of front and headlights... I know it is a 35k car and I reserved one waiting in line but I feel like tesla need to unift their design and user experience across their cars. I have a software background so this is my perspective, what do folks think about having uniformity?

The door handles look flimsy and kind of a hassle to me. I guess that if the doors are locked they won't allow you to push in to prevent it from breaking. On my leaf it is a one action thing just pull, I know it doesn't look as cool. I feel like tesla should unify things like this that doors open same way. Imagine a house hold with S3X and have to open doors differently on each car. Same goes with the center console and dash screen. The 3 should have dash for the driver info like the s & x and same landscape or portrait screen format either changel s & x to have landscape or 3 to have portrait. I like landscape. Again imagine same previous house hold here. I could continue on with the look of front and headlights... I know it is a 35k car and I reserved one waiting in line but I feel like tesla need to unift their design and user experience across their cars. I have a software background so this is my perspective, what do folks think about having uniformity?
Try test driving the S. Door handles open when you approach the car. Just one action to open. In the X, the entire door just opens without touching the door handles. No action. In the future a redesigned Sv2 probably would have the doors open automatically also and even move to the landscape screen. Time, innovation and progress are the differentiating factors here. Leap frogging... Imagining a household with all 3 cars... A household that can afford all 3 cars.... Uniformity is not a big deal since each family member probably drives their own Model ___ and not driving each other's much or at least maybe not on a daily basis... Of course, I see your point about having a familiar environment in driving each of the cars but being different is cool! To each their own.

I'm wondering if the differing door handles seen at the reveal (with the matte car being unique) is related to options/upgrades? In some ways the matte car seemed to be more optioned than the others given the matte paint and the carbon/magnesium appearing wheels. Perhaps the "upgraded" door handles will be part of a luxury package (the way the automatic rear lift is on the MS) and may be available as L-shaped/mechanical as standard and MS-shaped/motorized as an option.

Reactions: Siciliano
I'm wondering if the differing door handles seen at the reveal (with the matte car being unique) is related to options/upgrades? In some ways the matte car seemed to be more optioned than the others given the matte paint and the carbon/magnesium appearing wheels. Perhaps the "upgraded" door handles will be part of a luxury package (the way the automatic rear lift is on the MS) and may be available as L-shaped/mechanical as standard and MS-shaped/motorized as an option.

From a production standpoint, I don't see how that would make sense. It would require two different styles of door skins to be stamped, requiring additional sets of tooling, etc. I think I read elsewhere on here that the car with the Model S - style handles was an earlier prototype. Believe the Model 3 will have the L-shaped style.

Reactions: 1208
I noticed this to and was just about to say. it felt a little awkward the way they opened the door with 2 hands. I have never needed 2 hands to open a door. this was a sign to me that those handles are not yet complete.

as for finger prints, was it just me or did anyone else notice what looked like finger prints all over the trunk of the matte color model 3?

I agree too about the way they were opening the doors. Plus it didn't appear that they used the handle to actually pull on the door. They pushed the handle in then grabbed the door by the lip. This could be for several reasons like the handles are not that solid yet. Perhaps they had to be gentle or they might break. Perhaps that is why they didn't want people opening the doors. Even one of the drivers mentioned to let someone open the door for them because they were trying to open it from the inside.

I agree with the fingerprints. I told my wife how much I liked the matte color. I showed her the videos and how it had fingerprints and she already has notified me that "You are not allowed to get that color. You'll never be home because you'll be at the car wash all the time." I would prefer the Matte blue metallic that people wrap their cars in from 3M. I think it is beautiful. I wonder if it would show prints as bad.

From a production standpoint, I don't see how that would make sense. It would require two different styles of door skins to be stamped, requiring additional sets of tooling, etc. I think I read elsewhere on here that the car with the Model S - style handles was an earlier prototype. Believe the Model 3 will have the L-shaped style.

Good point about the production challenges.
I read that too, about the early prototype, I was thinking that was just a theory though, idk.