Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model S vs. ..... AKA the Model S performance thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S won't hang with the Panamera TURBO at any speed point. It will however, beat all the other models in the Panamera line up at most speed races.
I think the Panamera Turbo just beat out the CTS-V as the fastest sedan. It's because of AWD. Of course the base price of that car is about $50k more at $140k vs $95k for the MSP ($88k after credit).

@BOOMER7

According the German Porsche site, the Panamera Turbo acceleration from 50 - 75 mls/h ( 80 - 120 km/h ) takes 2,6 seconds (PDK in automatic mode).
I believe that this is exactly the P85 time. S85 needs a little longer, about 3,0 seconds.
Still pretty fast compared to the standard Panamera 2WD that needs 4,3 seconds. Standard 911 (991) with PDK needs 2,8 seconds.
IMO 50-75 mph times are more important than 0-60 times, because situations where you need 50-75 mph acceleration occur more often.
Because of the small difference between P85 (2,6 sec) and S85 (3,0 sec) I decided to go for the S85.

source: Daten Ausstattung - Panamera Turbo - Panamera Ãœbersicht - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

View attachment 19750

What is the correlation? Performance means road rage? Nonsense. Crazy drivers are the cause.

Well, going fast means that there is always a slower car ahead of you, stop lights are longer, etc. Each instance causes a little bit of stress. The quicker your car is, the more of these little stresses you are likely subject to. At some point the stresses add up to road rage and you turn into a crazy driver (This doesn't include juvenile street racing behaviour which is another subject.) Driving slower reduces the stress because there are fewer cars that limit you and stop lights are shorter--or even non-existant (e.g. you get the green without stopping). Regardless of speed (assuming you typically travel over 25 mph) the time you get to your non-highway destination is the the same. Strictly speaking the difference in arrival time is the delta between the last stop light/sign and your destination. I didn't used to believe this either until I got a car that showed the mpg achieved and I tried to get better mpg.

Well, going fast means that there is always a slower car ahead of you, stop lights are longer, etc. Each instance causes a little bit of stress. The quicker your car is, the more of these little stresses you are likely subject to. At some point the stresses add up to road rage and you turn into a crazy driver (This doesn't include juvenile street racing behaviour which is another subject.) Driving slower reduces the stress because there are fewer cars that limit you and stop lights are shorter--or even non-existant (e.g. you get the green without stopping). Regardless of speed (assuming you typically travel over 25 mph) the time you get to your non-highway destination is the the same. Strictly speaking the difference in arrival time is the delta between the last stop light/sign and your destination. I didn't used to believe this either until I got a car that showed the mpg achieved and I tried to get better mpg.
I think this is debatable, but I won't, since I don't have the data to back my counter claim :wink: (won't Google it, I am enjoying the sun outside).

Still, you do not falsify my claim that it is the driver who causes the road rage, not the the car. In that sense I stand by my point: why is discussing the specs of a car awkward in the light of the head on collision? We don't even know the cause yet, that's still under investigation (innocent until prove guilty).

I do agree that fast (accelerating) cars seem to attract aggressive drivers.

I disagree with this. I used to have a diesel 70s Mercedes. It doesn't matter what speed I'm going, there's always a slower car ahead of me.

LOL. Point taken. However, I have found that there are fewer slower cars ahead of me and that I am far more relaxed now that I used to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Still, you do not falsify my claim that it is the driver who causes the road rage, not the the car.

And I wasn't trying to falsify your claim either. Yes, it's the driver that ultimately causes road rage. A quick car just makes it easier for a driver with an aggressive driving style to have road rage. It also doesn't help that the set of drivers who have the wherewithal to purchase a quick car isn't equal to the set of drivers who have the skill to drive a quick car quickly.

And I wasn't trying to falsify your claim either. Yes, it's the driver that ultimately causes road rage. A quick car just makes it easier for a driver with an aggressive driving style to have road rage. It also doesn't help that the set of drivers who have the wherewithal to purchase a quick car isn't equal to the set of drivers who have the skill to drive a quick car quickly.
True. Personally I have experienced that having a quick car AND a hurry is not a good combination. But I am not a very aggressive driver either. What I love about my Lexus (and I have experienced the same in my test drive with the MS) is that the car is quick enough to pass other cars if needed, but feels comfortable enough to enjoy a smooth ride. I know from my Nav that in busy urban traffic, fast driving has no effect on your ETA. Only smart driving has (know the route better than you Nav ;-). Only on long interstate drives it makes a little sense to drive faster if you need to catch up a few minutes. But never more than that.

What is the correlation? Performance means road rage? Nonsense. Crazy drivers are the cause.

Well, given that we're mostly assuming here (perhaps unfairly) that the Tesla/Accord accident was a result of a race between the Model S and a Mercedes (that is, after all, what most of the evidence so far indicates), a thread asking people to chime in on how they've done in real world "encounters with other cars" strikes me as being in poor taste (yes, this coming from the same person who introduced the word "sluts" into another thread).

So, unless I completely misinterpreted the intent of the OP (i.e. he did NOT mean "How is your Model S faring in stoplight-drag battles?"), I'd say the correlation is pretty strong.

Not that I don't drive like a maniac most of the time or anything.

FWIW, I've now frightened my passengers with the acceleration of the Model S twice. Both times I was trying to turn into 55 mph traffic on a rural road from a stop sign (without a light) and somewhat worried about getting slammed into from the side, so I gunned it to make sure. So it *is* possible to use the high acceleration to *increase* safety, though only under rare circumstances.