Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toyota to increase hybrid production, cut back on electrics

Personally I think that by using competitors metrics Toyota is throwing away first mover advantage. Thanks to Tesla the RAV4 EV has a competitive advantage over competitors in its class and therefore the Volt and Leaf sales numbers are irrelevant.

Speaking of doubling down, Toyota should increase the sales of RAV4 to all states, increase the production volumes, add an option to increase the battery size to about 60 kWh, change the charger port to Tesla's and cut a deal with Tesla to gain access to the Supercharger network.

Larry
Yup, and I've told the people who matter that very thing and it's falling on deaf (dollar sign only) ears. If they would look back at the early days of hybrids they could have used the exact same arguments--too expensive, nobody wants them, uncertain future...now when you say hybrid car the first word that comes to everyone's mind is "Prius". They have the ability to do the same with electric cars, but they seem content to abdicate that to Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

It ships on the 28th and I should have it within a week!!

That's great, I think you're really going to enjoy it Lloyd.

From the day 3 video: EPA rated at 103 miles "when fully charged." Presumably this is with a range mode charge.

Triple digits is good, but if the Leaf can get 73 miles from 24 kWh, you might expect more from the RAV's 42 kWh battery.

GSP
You certainly would, and I'd think if you can keep speed low enough to reduce the effect of drag and keep a steady speed on a level road I'd bet you could get much better range, even compared to using the same techniques with the LEAF. I don't know the cd of the RAV but that must be hurting the range in comparison to the LEAF. Plus the extra weight of course.

From the day 3 video: EPA rated at 103 miles "when fully charged." Presumably this is with a range mode charge.

Triple digits is good, but if the Leaf can get 73 miles from 24 kWh, you might expect more from the RAV's 42 kWh battery.

GSP

That's actually incorrect. The EPA did something different with the RAV4 EV: the 103 miles on the sticker is the average between standard (92 miles) and extended mode (113 miles).

Since we have the two different modes, we have to test both the city and highway in both the normal and extended mode. We average those, take the 30% reduction, and then once again harmonically average the city and highway cycles. So, in a standard mode of 92 miles, in an extended miles we might see a label range of 113 miles.—Sheldon Brown

What will appear on the label is likely, however, to be around 103 miles, with a label fuel efficiency of 76 mpge.
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/08/rav4ev-20120803.html?cid=6a00d8341c4fbe53ef0176170e2b08970c

From a consumer reports article today

"One reason for the hesitancy to expand availability may be that California-based Tesla will be handling all warranty claims and service on the battery, which carries an eight-year, 100,000-mile warranty. The rest of the EV is covered by the same 3-year/36,000-mile basic and 60-month/60,000-mile powertrain warranty of other RAV models"

Interesting also, I got a call from a power company in San Diego asking if I wanted to sell my yet undelivered car!

From a consumer reports article today

"One reason for the hesitancy to expand availability may be that California-based Tesla will be handling all warranty claims and service on the battery, which carries an eight-year, 100,000-mile warranty. The rest of the EV is covered by the same 3-year/36,000-mile basic and 60-month/60,000-mile powertrain warranty of other RAV models"
BS, no reason they couldn't easily train regional reps as they did with Tesla initially. Toyota University is more than capable of delivering the training and much of what they need to know the more experienced hybrid techs would absorb quickly.

I don't know about the Leaf (at 19 units), but saying that Tesla "only managed to sell 10 examples" of the Model S in it's sales debut is a bit of a slant. I guess it's Tesla's own fault for marketing that sales of the Model S had begun June 22, and then only shipping the 10 close-to-production quality cars they had available to Founders.

Relative to the EVSE, I noticed that when I was inspecting the EVSE that the 110 plug appears to be modular, and might be able to be swapped out for a 220v connection. Has anyone looked into this?

Also, the folks at the dealership don't always have detailed or in-depth information. Has anyone found someone (or some group) at Toyota that potential owners and actual owners can call for more knowledgable assistance?

Thanks,
-Chris

Relative to the EVSE, I noticed that when I was inspecting the EVSE that the 110 plug appears to be modular, and might be able to be swapped out for a 220v connection. Has anyone looked into this?

Also, the folks at the dealership don't always have detailed or in-depth information. Has anyone found someone (or some group) at Toyota that potential owners and actual owners can call for more knowledgable assistance?

Thanks,
-Chris

Any body could connect any wires to any plug. Those that have survived, generally get the advice of an electrician. The wire size should match or exceed the rating of the plug. Don't expect car salespeople to be knowledgeable about much of any thing. LOL

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2