Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meh... who's to say those boxes aren't a simple form factor they already had for testing purposes. I see a lot of (what look like) mounting tabs there that are unused.
Those tabs could be for a working bottom shield/piece removed for the photo or the show floor.

Do you know what the Smart pack looked like? Perhaps by the time they were asked by Elon to this conversion they decided to make a "universal" modular pack. First was the Smart, then a Mercedes (A) then another Mercedes (Models S) a supposed Magnum (supposed!) The Smart and then a RAV 4. (some order like that)
By the time you get to that last one you say, "If we are going to keep doing this we should just make up a simple" bolt on the bottom" flat modular shape."
Each of those packs appear to be comprised of four sub-packs. These sub-packs might be the same as what's being used for the Model S pack (which appears to have 14). Just a guess.
That's in line with the modular pack idea. A single one could be used on a tiny car and they could fit them in a trunk or wheel well area if needed for another prototype. Paired with the PEM and motor these stacking packs would be a nice aftermarket product!

The Roadster battery pack is a very specific and odd shape.
It also weights half a ton. I'm not sure it would have been so easy to toss that in the back seat, compared to what they did here.
For a prototype that big odd shaped heavy box in the back of a tinted window SUV would have been the easy way to do it. It would just have to look good in a driving video and get it from a transport truck to the show floor.

For a prototype that big odd shaped heavy box in the back of a tinted window SUV would have been the easy way to do it. It would just have to look good in a driving video and get it from a transport truck to the show floor.
It also would have been wasted capacity and expense containing about twice the KWH needed for a 100 mile EV, let alone a show demo.

This guy only specifically mentions batteries. Hopefully Tesla will supply the rest of the powertrain as well, or at the very least Toyota follows through and gives it reasonable performance. We don't want a repeat of the flaccid Smart ED. Such a shame too since the Smart with the Roadster drivetrain was wicked cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully Tesla will supply the rest of the powertrain as well, or at the very least Toyota follows through and gives it reasonable performance. We don't want a repeat of the flaccid Smart ED. Such a shame too since the Smart with the Roadster drivetrain was wicked cool.

The Tesla PEM box is a good sign that they might have a whole Telsa drivetrain (at least in this first batch of prototypes). Also the suggestion that performance is close to that of the V6 model suggests good power. On the other hand, the power indicator shows max 160kW, not 200+ like on the Roadster. Perhaps the smaller pack limits maximum power output somewhat. Did others notice the "upside down" Tesla indentation on the PEM box? That seemed to be a strong indication that they used an off-the-shelf Roadster PEM, but it had to mount "backwards" in the RAV4 engine bay, so they put a Tesla logo on facing the other direction from how it goes in a Roadster.

I had assumed much of the engineering work was done at Tesla in California, but the articles suggested a bunch was done by Toyota in Michigan.
I guess it depends on who's press release you read, but this sounds like a Toyota effort with some help from Tesla, not the other way around.
It is very encouraging that the Tesla drivetrain is "plug and play" enough that another company could integrate it so quickly.

The Tesla PEM box is a good sign that they might have a whole Telsa drivetrain (at least in this first batch of prototypes).
AC motor controllers are usually matched with a specific motor so it's a pretty safe bet that they are using the Tesla motor as well. Wouldn't really make sense to use a different motor that had different parameters, though it could be done. They probably just turned down the max power output to save the smaller pack from excessive discharge rates.

I imagine that they have at least prototypes of Model S liquid cooled motors, so one question would be "did they use a stock air cooled Roadster motor, or a new liquid cooled motor?"

I agree it's probably a quickie mock-up for show but as people point out it's full of Roadster parts but not the battery pack.

I can't imagine putting together an all new shape filled with cells with heating wires and cooling tubes can be an easy task. Would have been a lot easier to pull a MiniE config by putting a Roadster pack in the back seat. Who would have cared for a show car?

maybe it's the minivan or battery swap version of the S battery.

I wondered the same thing, but I bet they used the tried and true roadster powertrain.

Further pondering, did they use the stock roadster gearbox which would likely result in > 125MPH top speed since tires & wheels on the RAV4EV are taller than on the Roadster? Tesla pack technology can do ~5C output, and the Roadster 53kWh pack can do > 200kW
So the 30kWh RAV4EV prototype pack would be good for > 150kW which jibes with the 160kW power meter we saw.
I wonder if they artifically limit top speed for safety and durability reasons?

Further pondering, did they use the stock roadster gearbox which would likely result in > 125MPH top speed since tires & wheels on the RAV4EV are taller than on the Roadster? Tesla pack technology can do ~5C output, and the Roadster 53kWh pack can do > 200kW
So the 30kWh RAV4EV prototype pack would be good for > 150kW which jibes with the 160kW power meter we saw.
I wonder if they artifically limit top speed for safety and durability reasons?

Now you have me wondering. This is off topic, but what size of battery pack did tesla use in the smart with the roadster drivetrain? It couldn't have been too small, cause that thing hauled a$$.

Now you have me wondering. This is off topic, but what size of battery pack did tesla use in the smart with the roadster drivetrain? It couldn't have been too small, cause that thing hauled a$$.

It may have used a roadster 1.0 drivetrain, locked in 1st gear for excellent off the line accel, but limited top speed...

Last edited:
I had to laugh at the over the top intro for a conversion that looks just like a regular RAV4.

That's because, aside from the grill, this RAV4 EV is a converted, current-generation, RAV4. He mentioned that in 2012 they will have a EV-specific RAV4.

Looks like they took their inspiration from Tron for that intro.

The guy spent a lot of time talking up hydrogen. Seems the felt they needed to reassure some folks about their commitment to HFCVs.

Yeah, I thought "Tron" as well when watching the intro. I was surprised how much he talked about HFCVs when they were debuting an EV.