Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New RAV4 EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the 14 minute mark of this video Elon says, "Tesla will be doing the whole powertrain for the electric RAV4 which is coming out in 2012."
This was said in contrast to the agreements with Daimler for the Smart ED and Mercedes A Class. Good to know it's not just the battery pack.

Last edited:
It also seems that The new Rav is made by Tesla as ModelX.

Huh?

Where did you get that idea? Assuming it makes it into production, I thought the Rav4EV is supposed to be built by Toyota. Possibly not even in California. Yes, everyone is saying the plan would be to use a full Tesla drive-train (not just battery pack), but as far as I know, the rest of the vehicle would be all Toyota.

Model-X, on the other hand, would be all Tesla, and much bigger, more powerful, more luxurious, and more expensive than the Rav4EV.
Model-X is reported to be Model-S based, so I imagine it would have similar specs and options to Model-S but just in a taller body style with even more room.

Model-X, on the other hand, would be all Tesla, and much bigger, more powerful, more luxurious, and more expensive than the Rav4EV.
Model-X is reported to be Model-S based, so I imagine it would have similar specs and options to Model-S but just in a taller body style with even more room.

Given that SUVs usually have a higher clearance, I was wondering whether they could make it so that it allows stacking two battery packs... :smile:

Huh?

Where did you get that idea? Assuming it makes it into production, I thought the Rav4EV is supposed to be built by Toyota. Possibly not even in California. Yes, everyone is saying the plan would be to use a full Tesla drive-train (not just battery pack), but as far as I know, the rest of the vehicle would be all Toyota.

Yeah, you're probably right. I just think it's odd Tesla has decided to come out with a SUV (thing) that's electric right after providing the drivetrain for the similar Tesla-Rav.

They said that a portion of the company is already working on the X but where is the Blue Star? What's going on? What's the thinking? I don't want an X5 killer I want a Leaf Blower (Awayer),

Last edited:
I'm not sure a $40K RAV would cut into sales of a $60K Model X, or vice versa. If prices end up closer than that it's possible.

Right. But the point is Tesla is a tiny company. Going up against the big boys (the biggest boy) when the have no advertising budget, no company history (for the public) and only a slight difference between the X and an E-Rav why risk the crossover competition when there is a whole world of car types that are untapped in the electric powertrain segment.

To answer my own question, they are probably looking at the skateboard which is a 1/3 of a car already done and building on that first rather than start from scratch with a Mini crusher.

Right. But the point is Tesla is a tiny company. Going up against the big boys (the biggest boy) when the have no advertising budget, no company history (for the public) and only a slight difference between the X and an E-Rav why risk the crossover competition when there is a whole world of car types that are untapped in the electric powertrain segment.

To answer my own question, they are probably looking at the skateboard which is a 1/3 of a car already done and building on that first rather than start from scratch with a Mini crusher.

I guess you are right!
Watch BMW 5 series platform
5 sedan - 5 toering - 5 gt - 6 coupé - 6 cabrio

VW is even a bigger platform juggler

The Alpha model of the Rav EV is using a 30KW battery. Pretty small for this size of vehicle. I would think that it would be released with a larger option. See below from the Toyota site from last November.

"The demonstration vehicle Toyota is currently testing is powered by a lithium metal oxide battery with useable output rated in the mid-30 kwh range. However, many decisions regarding both the product, as well as the business model, have not been finalized. Battery size and final output ratings, as well as pricing and volume projections of the vehicle Toyota plans to bring to market in 2012, have not been decided."