Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The proper way to remove the nosecone - ZERO TOOLS REQUIRED OTHER THAN YOUR HANDS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow--new one for me! FWIW, the way I have removed my nosecone without tools is to feel along the bottom lip of the nosecone for where the flat plastic tabs sit, then press up firmly to release them. I usually start on the far right as I am facing the nose cone. With one of the right hand plastic tabs loose, I can then swing the top edge out of the clips. I then work my way along the bottom and top to release the clips and tabs.

You do want to be careful in how you manhandle the bottom edge of the nose cone. Unlike the top edge which has clips that can theoretically be replaced, the bottom edge has molded-in tabs with a sharp edge to retain the nose cone. If you wear down the edge or break off a tab, you are out of luck.

Last edited:
Rather pointless to remove nose cone if you already are in the frunk. Just lift up the fuse cover panel as if you were replacing a fuse. Simply lifts off. There is your 12 volt battery positive terminal exposed for you to jump start, or whatever you need to connect to 12 v for. Use any clean metal surface for your 12 v negative terminal. Why force & remove the pins and clips on the (expensive nose cone) any more times than really necessary? Need to cover nose cone with custom fabric, ok remove nose cone for that. :smile:
--

Rather pointless to remove nose cone if you already are in the frunk. Just lift up the fuse cover panel as if you were replacing a fuse. Simply lifts off. There is your 12 volt battery positive terminal exposed for you to jump start, or whatever you need to connect to 12 v for. Use any clean metal surface for your 12 v negative terminal. Why force & remove the pins and clips on the (expensive nose cone) any more times than really necessary? Need to cover nose cone with custom fabric, ok remove nose cone for that. :smile:
--

Also to install a toll tag behind the nose cone.

Saw too many examples using credit cards and other silly tools so here you go....

@wormhole: Love the simplicity but would like to estimate how much force is needed (I weigh 150 lbs. soaking wet). So if you don't mind my asking - how much do you weigh and do you put all of it on the downward push? How does that force compare to what you need for closing the frunk? Thanks for the insight.

My MS, VIN 19700, does not have the chrome pads like the OP's. Appears to be a solid panel on top between the frunk rim and the nose cone that has clips that hold the nose cone on the top. Started to pull this panel off and one of the clips came out of the mounting socket, not the socket it is intended to poke into. I stopped there because it didn't appear to be designed for easy removal.

@wormhole: Love the simplicity but would like to estimate how much force is needed (I weigh 150 lbs. soaking wet). So if you don't mind my asking - how much do you weigh and do you put all of it on the downward push? How does that force compare to what you need for closing the frunk? Thanks for the insight.

You should have no problem :)

- - - Updated - - -

My MS, VIN 19700, does not have the chrome pads like the OP's. Appears to be a solid panel on top between the frunk rim and the nose cone that has clips that hold the nose cone on the top. Started to pull this panel off and one of the clips came out of the mounting socket, not the socket it is intended to poke into. I stopped there because it didn't appear to be designed for easy removal.

Interesting. Can you post a pic?