Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The quest for wider wheels and tires, 295, 305 and beyond...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can certainly appreciate a nice set of TE's! Unfortunately, I'm a bit abusive on wheels, so I've never pulled the trigger lol!

But there's no denying they are a pretty stunning/timeless wheel...I have to admit I almost went ahead with these! Photo Credit: ZEVCentric 19x10 ET30

329971197_3396663017276018_4506179878610971169_n.jpg

As far as tires for this season, I've already purchased one set of 275/35/19 Kumho Ecsta V730's - they seem to be a really well rounded tire AND the bang for the buck is great! Not the fastest for a single lap, but tread longevity and heat tolerance seem to be really good. The RT660's were definitely better than the A052 in both regards, and I think the pace was very similar. So, trying these out as my race tires for the Model 3 Challenge.

tire_kumho_ecsta-v730_bsw_angle_Zoom.jpg

I would still like to find another set of tires to set those PB's though. I'm considering the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS in a 285/35/19. They appear to be similar to the A052 and RT660 as far as pace is concerned. Unfortunately, no 295 or 305 available, so I have to imagine it will be a hair slower? Still want to try it though, especially given the legacy that the RE-71R left behind!

6d4d36abaec81bebb3c544bf2c36dc7b.jpg

I'm also considering the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R in a 305/30/19 - I actually intended to run these last year but they kept sending me tires with DOT codes 3-5 years old! Not sure I want to go through that pain again. Yet, it should be considerably faster than the A052 or the RT660...so...I might just give it another shot.

gdyhz2_ang_xl.jpg

Who else is running some wide tires for the 2023 season? What did you install and why? I know one member recently squeezed some 305's on under the stock bodywork, so we need to see some more mega setups from the community! :cool:

It's interesting- in AutoX, the A052 and RT660 aren't considered the same at all. The A052 is way faster.
Have you looked at RS4's? They're the king of 200TW tires on the track if you care about wear at all. They have 305's...
If you can run Supercars, why not go full Hoosier R7's?

Reactions: MODEL+
It's interesting- in AutoX, the A052 and RT660 aren't considered the same at all. The A052 is way faster.
Have you looked at RS4's? They're the king of 200TW tires on the track if you care about wear at all. They have 305's...
If you can run Supercars, why not go full Hoosier R7's?

Agreed the A052 seems to be the faster AutoX tire. On the track however, I've seen one or the other come out ahead in testing, and I think the heavy weight of our cars isn't suited great to the A052. They seem to overheat pretty quick on the road course, which I think causes lap times to suffer. The RT660 admittedly isn't that much better, but I can usually squeeze out a few laps before a noticeable drop-off in grip. Could just be my bad driving :)

I actually ran the RS4's for a year and really didn't like them. They take a few laps to get up to temperature, at which point SOC has dropped, so you're just never really in the sweet spot. When cold, they were pretty sketchy to drive on. I think they're great for an ICE car looking to turn lots of laps, but they just didn't work with the 3 very well. I have heard the Continental ExtremeContact Force has similar characteristics to the RS4 as far as longevity and heat are concerned, BUT warm up very fast - so that might be worth a look!

I guess I've just never really been a fan of the Hoosier's feel! And they are far and away the most expensive option.

Agreed the A052 seems to be the faster AutoX tire. On the track however, I've seen one or the other come out ahead in testing, and I think the heavy weight of our cars isn't suited great to the A052. They seem to overheat pretty quick on the road course, which I think causes lap times to suffer. The RT660 admittedly isn't that much better, but I can usually squeeze out a few laps before a noticeable drop-off in grip. Could just be my bad driving :)

I actually ran the RS4's for a year and really didn't like them. They take a few laps to get up to temperature, at which point SOC has dropped, so you're just never really in the sweet spot. When cold, they were pretty sketchy to drive on. I think they're great for an ICE car looking to turn lots of laps, but they just didn't work with the 3 very well. I have heard the Continental ExtremeContact Force has similar characteristics to the RS4 as far as longevity and heat are concerned, BUT warm up very fast - so that might be worth a look!

I guess I've just never really been a fan of the Hoosier's feel! And they are far and away the most expensive option.

I'm surprised you guys haven't mentioned Nankang AR-1 or CR-S. Very cost effective and great overall for road race.
Some of the fastest guys (ICE Car) at my local track run the AR-1.

CR-S is very good at time attack, very close to A052.

They have 275/35/19 and 305/30/19 in sizes

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Curious why vendors are pushing staggered TEs? Seems to me a 19x10.5 +31 square would be a lot better set up. (Spacers on the front depending on rotor thickness)
19x10.5 +31 square may require spacers (like you said) and some fender massaging. I personally don't mind running staggered on these cars. With that being said, I have no problem with selling a square 10.5 set. I'm just letting you know what I have on-hand :)

Danny

I'm surprised you guys haven't mentioned Nankang AR-1 or CR-S. Very cost effective and great overall for road race.

Interesting - the feedback I've heard from the few people I know who have tried them hasn't been flattering - but the tough part with tires is that they are very subjective and most testing methods aren't great!

Here's one test I've found - 200-treadwear tire test | Falken vs. Yokohama vs. Nankang

The CR-S/CR-1 is compelling to a degree ($376/ea), especially since comparable RT660 ($422) and A052 ($423) just keep going up in price.

However, the following makes me think it suffers from heat like the A052, which our cars are really good at making!

1676062056200.png

"Mid-corner grip felt similar to the Yokohama’s, but it quickly saturated the tire with heat as laps progressed."

Would be sweet to just be able to buy them all lol!

There's also the Nexen N FERA Sport R - but at $457 it's a bit ridiculous - what happened to the days of the cheap SUR4G?

Last edited:

I’m on my third set of AR1s and I’m very happy with them. They take 1 minute to heat up, but then are good to go. Tread life is good, 40 laps at the Nurburgring, but that’s a high speed track and not very hard on tires. I don’t have anything to compare them to on the Model 3 other than street tires.

Initially I was on 265s, and now 275/35R19. They a very noisy. No problem for the track, but other than driving to the supercharger, you don’t want to keep these on for street.