Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Resource Angle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having a hard time figuring out what to do with this one. On one hand there are great reasons why the stock is rising. On the other had, every one of the stocks I have owned that went up 600% in a few months had a strong pullback shortly after (like ABML, TSLA, CCIV, etc...). Tesla has come back strong but the jury is still out on most of the other ones. I sold of 25% of my LLKKF this morning when it hit $1.90 not sure what to do with the rest... might sell a bit more of it hits $2.

I am having a hard time figuring out what to do with this one. On one hand there are great reasons why the stock is rising. On the other had, every one of the stocks I have owned that went up 600% in a few months had a strong pullback shortly after (like ABML, TSLA, CCIV, etc...). Tesla has come back strong but the jury is still out on most of the other ones. I sold of 25% of my LLKKF this morning when it hit $1.90 not sure what to do with the rest... might sell a bit more of it hits $2.
Do I have a place to put the money that I like better? What was my planned holding period upon entry? Is the company executing well? Has the investing thesis changed?

Just questions I as myself (among others) when I think about selling a stock.

For me in regard to Lake Resources:

Not particularly, 10 years, yes, and improved and de-risked if anything.

I'm a HODL here personally, but I'm still trying to build my portfolio and LLKKF is underweight at the moment. I'm actually hoping for a small pullback and will pick up more as I have more dry powder, but will be fine if it continues to advance from here.

Cheers!

I sold some Lake on the way up to lock in profits, wish I didn't of course, but I'll probably let the rest ride for the long term now. It's just play money compared to my TSLA holdings anyway and maybe it will go much higher in the future. Being up around 2,800% right now just isn't enough 😁

Do I have a place to put the money that I like better? What was my planned holding period upon entry? Is the company executing well? Has the investing thesis changed?

Just questions I as myself (among others) when I think about selling a stock.

For me in regard to Lake Resources:

Not particularly, 10 years, yes, and improved and de-risked if anything.

I'm a HODL here personally, but I'm still trying to build my portfolio and LLKKF is underweight at the moment. I'm actually hoping for a small pullback and will pick up more as I have more dry powder, but will be fine if it continues to advance from here.

Cheers!
Yeah I agree with all of that and I like the company long term. It is just hard to not try and sell at the top, time the pullbacks, and buy it back at a discount.

I rode ABML all the way up to $4 from $0.90 but only sold a little at the top and rode a bunch back down. I just think of how many more shares I could have now if I sold them all at the top and then bought them all back at $0.75 like a month ago. Of course I don't have a crystal ball and nobody can time these things perfectly but it is fun to try.

Reactions: LYTRIDR
I sold some Lake on the way up to lock in profits, wish I didn't of course, but I'll probably let the rest ride for the long term now. It's just play money compared to my TSLA holdings anyway and maybe it will go much higher in the future. Being up around 2,800% right now just isn't enough 😁
Exactly. I sold some too so my initial investment (and more) is covered and it is all "house money" at this point. Probably smart to let the rest ride since I believe in the company long term.

Reactions: JRP3
Your first instinct was probably better. I wouldn't sell out all of a position in a company I believed in long term since you never know when it might take off.
I just had a feeling it had peaked after that ridiculous run and was gonna pull back which was actually correct. It got as high as $1.97 before pulling back to the $1.40 range so it wasn't a bad instinct. But yeah, it is hard to time it perfectly to sell then buy back at the right time. I just need to stop checking my account every day that is what gets me in trouble. Since I sold a bunch at $1.90 I can still buy back today at a pretty solid discount.

Last edited:
Most future looking stocks are down right now. When the world gets shaky a lot of investors flock to tried and true stocks and the speculative stocks sink. Right now we have a pandemic that isn't completely over (though things are looking better), there is a major war on the EU and NATO's doorstep, and world supply chain problems are causing inflation in almost everything.

Even if the war goes Ukraine's way fairly quickly and Russia collapses into a failed state by summer, the world grain supply has been heavily disrupted. It won't affect developed countries all that much, but food inflation is going to hit developing countries very hard in a few months. The last time that happened we had the Arab Spring. This disruption is going to happen quicker than that one which was spread out over about 3 years.

The COVID crisis appears to be getting better, but a new variant could come along tomorrow which is more contagious than Omicron BA.2 and as deadly as Delta. Most of the time pandemic viruses mutate into more harmless variants and then it becomes endemic, but measles is the most transmissible virus out there and it's also very deadly. We are lucky that we have a long lasting vaccine and people who have either had it or the vaccine are usually immune for life.

COVID immunity fades with time so people can get it again. A COVID variant as bad as measles would have a profound impact on the world, which has investors spooked.

And the pandemic has left economic chaos in its wake. China's zero tolerance policy for COVID has kept cases down until this year, but it's causing havoc with their economy. Uncertainty about the availability of a lot of things is both causing inflation and a lot of uncertainty as well as interest rate hikes. Adjusting interest rates is one lever to control inflation, but that only really works to control the over exuberance type of inflation. This inflation is caused by factors unrelated to people borrowing too much money to fuel too much economic activity. There are no easy levers to control supply chain caused inflation beyond settling the supply chain.

So investors, especially institutional ones, are playing it safe and putting their money in companies with proven track records rather than speculative start ups. Over the long haul I think many of these start ups show promise, but they are suffering right now.

• Informative
Reactions: Sandor

This one is worth holding just for the dividend right now... the Tesla deal makes it even better.

Reactions: JRP3