Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Ridiculous Service Process that Is Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When? To have this be the ONLY point of contact and have it not work isn't acceptable. Saying it "will" work isn't acceptable. Nothing about what Tesla has chosen to do is acceptable but it sure cuts costs down in their relentless pursuit of profits.

Exactly. They need staff at each Service Center who answers the phone and can help customers like a normal business that serves humans.

It's also a matter of attitude and wanting to genuinely help customers. Look at what happened to the OP. He finally managed to get a hold of an actual human but what does he do? The employee goes off on a condescending unhelpful journey with the whole purpose of getting the customer to use some option in the App as if this is some government form that should be filled out at the MVA or the Post Office.

What is staggering is that the employee the OP spoke with COULD have said, "Of course sir, happy to help you purchase the ESA. That would be $4,250 and I assume you have read through what it covers? Awesome! Credit card number please when you are ready. Okay your approval code is xyz123 and can I confirm your email address so I can send you a receipt? Awesome! Thanks for calling us and hope you and your family stay safe."

Instead of spending literally 1 or 2 minutes to actually help the customer buy the ESA, the employee the OP spoke with went on a condescendingly unhelpful journey to enforce some BS app usage mandate rather than just helping the customer. At the end of the day, there needs to be a whole attitude change within service that is less arrogant and all about helping the customer. It actually takes less time and resources this way rather than to not help and instead take up time to only piss off and antagonize customers.

They can still use the App based system for straightforward stuff. In fact I think the majority of issues can be addressed with the App. But there needs to be a way to get someone who gives a cr@p on the phone to get help when needed. And it needs to be someone at the actual Service Center who knows what is going on rather than some centralized call center.

Service needs some humans and some humanity.

Last edited:
Tesla service is changing. It used to be great in the traditional way: they talked to you in a helpful and competent manner; they provided loaners which were often better than your car; if the service took longer than expected it didn't matter because you were putting miles on their loaner; they (usually) fixed things right and for free.

They added mobile service, which is even more awesome. No travel needed, no loaner needed, no inconvenience of any kind. Simply better (when it worked).

Now they're trying to take it to the next level, making it cheaper, simpler, faster, and more efficient. But they're screwing it up. What they're trying to do is make it all based on the Tesla app -- if you want anything, just request it though the app. This can work very well if they set customer expectations correctly, if the app is really good, and if they nail the communications aspect. That last means soliciting the right information from the customer, storing it in such a way that all relevant service people can find it, and never leaving the customer hanging. Those are all things that Tesla absolutely sucks at, and they don't seem to be getting better. Plus they aren't clearly setting customer expectations.

But, once they do get better at communications and set customer expectations properly, then this new approach will be awesome.

Customers won't get frustrated if they don't expect to be able to call and talk to a person. If all they have to do is tell the app "I want an extended service warranty" and it can respond instantly "your VIN isn't eligible" or "it will cost $x if you do option 1 or $y if you do option 2" and you never need to talk to a person at all, then that's a huge win. It sends you the contract along with instructions for how to pay for and activate it. And there's an option to have somebody call you because there's more you need to know. That's where they're heading.

Customers won't be frustrated in general if one of their options after entering a description of their issue is "have somebody call me after reading the description of my problem because there are complicating circumstances". And the ensuing call will be faster and simpler because the Tesla person will already know about the problem to the extent it was described. Customers won't be frustrated if they know in advance that the policy is Uber credits or nothing, and if you need a loaner rent a car. The problem is a mismatch in expectations.

In any case, the transition to different and better is often bumpy. And in this case it's especially bad because communications is a special incompetence of Tesla. It might help if we all stop complaining about service and clearly complain about communications.

And no doubt if you refuse to deal with anything but cold calling a Tesla person to make whatever request you want, then you will be disappointed. Sorry, the times are changing. Perhaps you'll be able to spend arbitrary amounts of time talking to an AI when they get good enough, and then it will put the request in the app for you. Or something like that.

Is that what they told you? :rolleyes:

When? To have this be the ONLY point of contact and have it not work isn't acceptable. Saying it "will" work isn't acceptable.
Agreed.

Nothing about what Tesla has chosen to do is acceptable but it sure cuts costs down in their relentless pursuit of profits.
You know, your problem is that you keep acting as though you know Tesla's motivations, and they are unappealing to you. Get a clue -- you don't. Tesla does things for reasons you do not know or understand. About all you know in this case is that you don't like it. Stick with that and you'll be fine.

If I had to guess (and it's strictly a guess), I would say the reason for Tesla's current and historical failure to communicate is:
  1. Elon doesn't understand the problem;
  2. There are no first principles of communication, so Elon's superpower doesn't apply;
  3. Elon hasn't been willing to make solving this problem a priority because he thinks other things are more important;
  4. It hasn't gotten bad enough to force a solution to be necessary now
And about this being the only point of contact and not working, I think you'll find that that's how Tesla's management gets its people to solve problems. If it's the only way to do things, and it sucks, then it becomes critical that the problem be solved. If there's a workaround, it languishes.

So take heart, the fact that it's getting worse is a hint that it will be solved. At least we can hope so. After all, we know Elon understands the shape of the solution (to service at least) -- he has said that service should be like "invisible love". And the only way to get there is to make communications pretty much flawless.

Meanwhile, stop pretending you know why Tesla does things and you'll be much happier. Stick with "It's a mystery."

Exactly. They need staff at each Service Center who answers the phone and can help customers like a normal business that serves humans.

It's also a matter of attitude and wanting to genuinely help customers. Look at what happened to the OP. He finally managed to get a hold of an actual human but what does he do? The employee goes off on a condescending unhelpful journey with the whole purpose of getting the customers to use some option in the App like filling out a form at the MVA or the Post Office.

What is staggering is that the employee the OP spoke with COULD have said, "Of course sir, happy to help you purchase the ESA. That would be $4,250 and I assume you have read through what it covers? Awesome! Credit card number pease when you are ready. Okay your approval code is xyz123 and can OI confirm your email address so I can send you a receipt? Awesome! Thanks for calling us and hope you and your family stay safe."

Instead of spending literally 1 or 2 minutes to actually help the customers, the employee the OP spoke with went on a condescendingly unhelpful journey to enforce some BS app usage mandate rather than just helping the customer. At the end of the day there needs to be a whole attitude change with service that is all about helping the customer. It actually takes less time and resources this way rather than to not help and instead take up time to only piss off and antagonize customers.

They can still use the App based system but there needs to be a way to get someone on the phone who gives a cr@p to get help when needed.
Tesla is run by engineers. From an engineering perspective, solving one person's problem today is stupid and pointless if it doesn't move you toward a general solution to the general problem. You are just wasting your time. If you don't understand that you will never understand Tesla. Sucks when you're the customer today and you just want today's problem solved for you. But it's great eventually. So grumble and wait for it.

The only time Tesla will put in effort to solve one customer's problem today is when a human employee is overcome with empathy and behaves humanly. But Elon is an engineer and doesn't like that, so you won't see that happening generally. What you will see is general improvement over time, likely in innovative ways. If you don't like that, too bad.

There are plenty of times when a phone call to my service center would have saved hours of texting back and forth. My service center only responds to texts about once a day, so if you have a question, it can take days to get it resolved. Very frustrating when a 5 minute phone call would work the same. Also, half the time they don’t initiate the automated text message with me at all, so I have zero ways to text them when they do that.

I can understand that it is hard to relate to those of us in bad service center zones when you are in a good one. Trust me, we have tried it all, and the service just stinks at some locations. Notice that many who are complaining are from the same region.
That’s good general advice for other areas of life.
Pick up the frigging phone, people!
It’s not that scary to talk to a real life person, and you’d be amazed how efficient human speech can be.

I took delivery of my M3P in mid-June and scheduled a service appointment through the app to address some glaring issues with the vehicle. The worst issues are the paint, the windshield, and glass roof. The paint on the driver's side of the frunk and front bumper is cloudy and numerous swirl marks are visible. The windshield and roof have numerous scratches, from 2" to 6" in length. Some deeper than others but all can be felt by hand.

I scheduled the first available appointment, which was July 2. On 6/30, I received a text message stating my appointment has been rescheduled for 7/21 at another service center (20 miles farther away)! The text stated parts are back ordered. I called the number from the text and spoke with someone who stated the windshield needs to be replaced and my local service center doesn't do work with paint issues. Thus, the location was moved and I'd have to wait three weeks for the next available appointment.

Needless to say, I'm already disappointed with Tesla Customer Service and the Service Center. It's frustrating on so many levels and seems like very poor business practice for Tesla to order parts without even conducting a vehicle assessment. The fact that the part is back ordered is frustrating but somewhat understandable. Why do some service centers handle certain issues while others do not? Why did it take Tesla two weeks to contact me before changing my appointment date and location? Quality inspections are not occurring prior to vehicles leaving Freemont otherwise so many of these glaring issues could be addressed before vehicles reached customers.

All of this occurred and I still haven't dealt with the service center. I'm already dreading my visit on the 21st. That's a horrible feeling to have - especially as a new Tesla owner.

Tesla service is changing. It used to be great in the traditional way: they talked to you in a helpful and competent manner; they provided loaners which were often better than your car; if the service took longer than expected it didn't matter because you were putting miles on their loaner; they (usually) fixed things right and for free.

They added mobile service, which is even more awesome. No travel needed, no loaner needed, no inconvenience of any kind. Simply better (when it worked).

Now they're trying to take it to the next level, making it cheaper, simpler, faster, and more efficient. But they're screwing it up. What they're trying to do is make it all based on the Tesla app -- if you want anything, just request it though the app. This can work very well if they set customer expectations correctly, if the app is really good, and if they nail the communications aspect. That last means soliciting the right information from the customer, storing it in such a way that all relevant service people can find it, and never leaving the customer hanging. Those are all things that Tesla absolutely sucks at, and they don't seem to be getting better. Plus they aren't clearly setting customer expectations.

But, once they do get better at communications and set customer expectations properly, then this new approach will be awesome.

Customers won't get frustrated if they don't expect to be able to call and talk to a person. If all they have to do is tell the app "I want an extended service warranty" and it can respond instantly "your VIN isn't eligible" or "it will cost $x if you do option 1 or $y if you do option 2" and you never need to talk to a person at all, then that's a huge win. It sends you the contract along with instructions for how to pay for and activate it. And there's an option to have somebody call you because there's more you need to know. That's where they're heading.

Customers won't be frustrated in general if one of their options after entering a description of their issue is "have somebody call me after reading the description of my problem because there are complicating circumstances". And the ensuing call will be faster and simpler because the Tesla person will already know about the problem to the extent it was described. Customers won't be frustrated if they know in advance that the policy is Uber credits or nothing, and if you need a loaner rent a car. The problem is a mismatch in expectations.

In any case, the transition to different and better is often bumpy. And in this case it's especially bad because communications is a special incompetence of Tesla. It might help if we all stop complaining about service and clearly complain about communications.

And no doubt if you refuse to deal with anything but cold calling a Tesla person to make whatever request you want, then you will be disappointed. Sorry, the times are changing. Perhaps you'll be able to spend arbitrary amounts of time talking to an AI when they get good enough, and then it will put the request in the app for you. Or something like that.
For the first few years I dealt with service almost entirely through email - directly to specific person there, not some generic alias. There were 2 or 3 times where a 5 min phone conversation was much more efficient than email. So yes, this could work. HOWEVER, what they have one doesn't work. In addition to that, no amount of AI will make a customer feel good when they make an appointment for a yellow screen on a 6 month old car and the computer will just tell them "that's normal, is there anything else?". Just like having to leave the car with Tesla for up to 4 days with lo loaner in order to do a 45min brake job, even when the appointment was made 30 days in advance. That is just bad service which no amount of AI will fix.

I do agree that they should just be clear and set expectations. Tell people ahead of time that all they get is up to $100 per day of Uber credit whenever the car is in service. Tell them that each service will take up to 4 days, but possibly weeks if they have to wait for a part. Tell the customers that if their car has an accident, it will likely be weeks or months before the car will be fixed. Share with customers how much time new Teslas spend in service, average per car in the first 12 months. The problem is that this level of openness would lose them sales.

Agreed.

You know, your problem is that you keep acting as though you know Tesla's motivations, and they are unappealing to you. Get a clue -- you don't. Tesla does things for reasons you do not know or understand. About all you know in this case is that you don't like it. Stick with that and you'll be fine.

If I had to guess (and it's strictly a guess), I would say the reason for Tesla's current and historical failure to communicate is:
  1. Elon doesn't understand the problem;
  2. There are no first principles of communication, so Elon's superpower doesn't apply;
  3. Elon hasn't been willing to make solving this problem a priority because he thinks other things are more important;
  4. It hasn't gotten bad enough to force a solution to be necessary now
And about this being the only point of contact and not working, I think you'll find that that's how Tesla's management gets its people to solve problems. If it's the only way to do things, and it sucks, then it becomes critical that the problem be solved. If there's a workaround, it languishes.

So take heart, the fact that it's getting worse is a hint that it will be solved. At least we can hope so. After all, we know Elon understands the shape of the solution (to service at least) -- he has said that service should be like "invisible love". And the only way to get there is to make communications pretty much flawless.

Meanwhile, stop pretending you know why Tesla does things and you'll be much happier. Stick with "It's a mystery."
Thanks for telling me what "my problem" is even though it has no bearing on this conversation. You must have aspirations to work in Tesla "customer service" support.

I am trying to get Tesla to repair a rattle in the dash. I wrote 3 paragraphs. After the first couple of sentences, the on screen keyboard obscures the text area so you have to be able to type blind. I went to hit the shift key on the onscreen keyboard. I hit the back button accidentally. No warning, no confirmation, it just takes me back to the friggin' main screen.

I type out my message in notepad, save it to google drive. Open the document on my phone. Select all. Create another service appointment. Paste into service description. Oops, this control doesn't accept pasted text.

Type out 3 paragraphs again. On the last sentence, hit the back button instead of the number shift. Apps goes back to main screen without warning.

How is it possible that the Tesla app coders are this incompetent? This is basic stuff, guys. Why do you hate your customers so much?

It sickens me to interact with Tesla about anything. Which I guess is the point, so I'll just decide to live with the rattle and they won't have to honor the factory warranty.

Finally got my text to accept. Now schedule the appointment. I'm not going to take Ubers until covid calms down, so I require a weekend appt. First Saturday availability is September.

Seriously Tesla. Add $1000 to the sticker price and use the money to stop half-assing customer service.

Tesla is the most valuable car company in the world in market cap. They can afford to offer world class service. No more excuses!

They simply choose not to prioritize this.

Until more customers push back against Tesla and complain, they won't change.

From 4 years ago, their service has gotten worse not better... I don't care what Elon thinks he's prioritizing... This is an utter travesty!

I ask all the Tesla apologists to stop giving them a pass!

Their service dept and personnel are atrocious and unacceptable!

Tesla is the most valuable car company in the world in market cap.
True, by stock value, though that doesn't translate into balance in Tesla accounts.
They can afford to offer world class service.
We don't know that. When they provided great service for Model S, and then Model X (before Model 3), they were losing money big time, and MS and MX had much higher per car profit built in. So, if providing great service for Model S or Model X costs more than the money Tesla used to make on them (which is more than today), they'll loose their shirt if they provide the same level of service to M3/MY. And that in turn will sink the stock price.

Of course the solution is to consistently build cars which don't require as much service, but that requires time for proper design for manufacturablity, proper processes so that you can build consistent quality cars cars with workers of varying skill level, etc. Elon's motto is "best process is no process", so of course the output of no process is inconsistent quality.

All that said, they don't need to fix any of that as long as they got people buying into Elon's vaporware, lining up to drive cars which will drive their kids to school for them (without realizing this won't happen even when they kids become adults and can drive themselves). Tesla is making money, stock is rising, so what change what they are doing? Don't fix what doesn't appear to be broken.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bet TSLA
It’s odd to me that so many have “problems” with the app-based service and text messages. I’ve found it to be incredibly convenient and effective. I gather it has a lot to do with the variability in the individual service centers, but the two I’ve primarily interacted with (Monterey and Fresno CA) have been quite good and responsive.

Just a couple days ago I scheduled an appointment for the MCU upgrade. Purposely made it a month out due to my availability and the knowledge that they were going to have to order parts. I immediately got an automated text confirming the appointment. Less than 24 hours later I got a text from a human saying they ordered the parts and were looking forward to serving me, followed later that day by an email detailing what they ordered.

Easy peasy.

Of course I’m quite comfortable with this mode of communication, so it’s no big deal. This is how they want to interact, so I work the system that I’m given to good result.

Not to pigeonhole too much, but the people that seem to have constant problems with this appear to be a good 10-30 years older than me and simply refuse to break free from their expectations and privileged insistence on being able pick up their rotary phone and have the operator connect the party line to Tesla so they can adequately inform Todd the receptionist of their Super Important Needs and Concerns. They have their system, and that’s all they’re willing entertain.

Tesla’s system is not that system, and it doesn’t appear it’s ever going to be. By design. Tesla’s system can certainly get better, and certainly needs to get more consistent, but I don’t get the impression that staffing a call center to enable the way the luddites prefer to interact is going to be a priority. For better or worse, their approach is run lean, mean, and minimize the need for the service center visit in the first place.

For my money, I’ll take the availability of capable and timely mobile service over the ability to talk to Todd every time.

It’s odd to me that so many have “problems” with the app-based service and text messages. I’ve found it to be incredibly convenient and effective. I gather it has a lot to do with the variability in the individual service centers, but the two I’ve primarily interacted with (Monterey and Fresno CA) have been quite good and responsive.

Just a couple days ago I scheduled an appointment for the MCU upgrade. Purposely made it a month out due to my availability and the knowledge that they were going to have to order parts. I immediately got an automated text confirming the appointment. Less than 24 hours later I got a text from a human saying they ordered the parts and were looking forward to serving me, followed later that day by an email detailing what they ordered.

Easy peasy.

Of course I’m quite comfortable with this mode of communication, so it’s no big deal. This is how they want to interact, so I work the system that I’m given to good result.

Not to pigeonhole too much, but the people that seem to have constant problems with this appear to be a good 10-30 years older than me and simply refuse to break free from their expectations and privileged insistence on being able pick up their rotary phone and have the operator connect the party line to Tesla so they can adequately inform Todd the receptionist of their Super Important Needs and Concerns. They have their system, and that’s all they’re willing entertain.

Tesla’s system is not that system, and it doesn’t appear it’s ever going to be. By design. Tesla’s system can certainly get better, and certainly needs to get more consistent, but I don’t get the impression that staffing a call center to enable the way the luddites prefer to interact is going to be a priority. For better or worse, their approach is run lean, mean, and minimize the need for the service center visit in the first place.

For my money, I’ll take the availability of capable and timely mobile service over the ability to talk to Todd every time.

Easy peasy.

** I think we're all very comfortable with Texting... Your assertions are ridiculous.

** Absurd presumptions & statements

** The issue is not their app system, in and of itself.

The period when they switched over to a app/text only system, they didn't inform me of this new platform (or process). Things just changed, old methods just disappeared without warning, and many were likely left wondering, what the @#$#@ happened. Tesla has a way of changing things around, and assuming everyone KNOWS of these changes. It's not asking too much for the service center to answer the phones. It's not asking too much for the person who answers the phone to act helpful and be polite.

It's not asking too much for your vehicle, when returned from service to NOT have other damages on it because the techs were careless.

It's not asking too much for techs to have your seats covered when they take it into service, so that they don't dirty up your car.

It's not asking too much to have clean loaner cars available, instead of forcing you to use UBER.

Great Buddha and Jesus.... I can go on and on.....

Young man.. these are not isolated incidents in and of themselves!

It's the combination of these change of processes, inefficiencies and their lack of communication, and rude/indifferent service reps that coalesce into the S***H*** system that is Tesla Customer Service.

Tesla service quality is INDEFENSIBLE

Not to pigeonhole too much, but the people that seem to have constant problems with this appear to be a good 10-30 years older than me and simply refuse to break free from their expectations and privileged insistence on being able pick up their rotary phone and have the operator connect the party line to Tesla

Well, you're partially right. I sent my first SMS at 40, so yeah I did not grow up with texting as a primary way to communicate. Guilty as charged. I have middle aged eyes and fingers, and consequently I dislike small fonts and virtual keyboards. I like mechanical keyboards and triple-headed PCs. I also have 30 years of experience as a software engineer, so I'm about as far from being a luddite as a person can get. I create software every day, and I know the difference between good software and bad software. Tesla's service engagement app sucks, full stop. To claim otherwise is just being an apologist for Tesla and their lousy service.

Reactions: Matias

Lost me at the use of the word PRIVILEGE. Seems to be a catch all for any thing some people disagree with. Disagree with them and its our privilege, try and explain in a conversation why you feel this way and you're a boomer. My dad always said empty barrels make the most noise. I'd raise a white flag but then would be called out for using WHITE priviledge.
So I guess I will just say you win......;)

It’s odd to me that so many have “problems” with the app-based service and text messages. I’ve found it to be incredibly convenient and effective.
Ok, say I want to replace the 12V battery. I would like to decide if I want to let Tesla do it, or buy one from another source.I got prices from all the other places, now, how do YOU use the app to figure out how much Tesla charges for a 12V battery replacement? Booking an appointment a month later, going there to find out how much and finding out it's more expensive than other alternatives sounds like such very inefficient way, doesn't it? I agree that when money is no object, you just get a spare Tesla to drive while one is waiting for service, then I can totally see the app model being great. One of my Tesla dies, I go to the app, book an appointment, then start driving the spare Tesla until the appointment, then pay someone to drop it off and Uber it back (cover the difference if it costs more than the $100 Uber credit from Tesla), then few days later when done, pay someone to go get it, pay whatever Tesla bills. So yes, it is a great user experience for people like Elon. It doesn't sounds that great for the non-billionaires though.

So come on, educate the boomers how to find out prices of parts and services using the app. The old way was to pick up a phone to ask, what's your new age, more efficient way via the app? Oh, you don't have one? I guess you'll just tell me that the ability find out how much a part and/or service costs before ordering it is just an unreasonable request - a "privilege" as you'd call it?

Last edited: