Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla App is taking longer to connect to my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pruitt

Pontificating the obvious
Jun 27, 2014
Casper WY
Since the last software update a couple weeks ago (sorry, I don't have the version number in front of me, but I think it's the latest one), my Tesla app is taking a lot longer to connect to the car. I get the little spinning wheelie, and a message that says it's waking the car. This takes several minutes, and sometimes it doesn't work at all, where it did before.

In fact, my car's connectivity is substantially worse now than it was in the past. I've always had one "dead" spot right in front of my garage door (inconvenient, for sure), but otherwise the car always seemed to connect over the air very fast. On several occasions in the last few weeks I've driven several miles from my starting point before the car finally connects. Very annoying when I'm trying to use the navigator under voice command, as it comes back with "no connectivity" after "processing" for 30 seconds or so.

Anyone else seen these behaviors recently?

1. Did you try rebooting both displays?

2. Did the always connected change it's setting after the upgrade?

3. The App works by connecting to Tesla servers which then connect to ATT (or the Internet if they are going through wi-fi) which then connect to the car. The waking car message means that you've connected to the Tesla servers. It doesn't mean that those servers are connecting properly. There are a lot of connections between your phone and the car that can have problems when using the App, so it may not be your car, although it could be.

FWIW. My connection has been better recently.

I've seen this problem from time to time. Last time it happened the app was trying to connect to the car via Brighthouse Network's hot-spot Wi-Fi service. No go. When I switched Wi-Fi off on my iPhone, the app connected to the car right away via LTE.

I only have Android and it frequently appears it's just going to time out. I close the app and restart and it usually connects quickly.

It also frequently requires two presses on the "turn on" for climate. But I know the drill now, so I wait and press again. Irritating, for sure.

Interesting. After the last 2 2.17 updates, I was able to connect much faster, for example, to disable Valet. A few seconds every time.

However, just prior to the last update (2.18.x), things got slow a couple of times to the point that I just gave up and used the MCU.

Now, things are fast again. Hopefully they stay that way.

I also noticed my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) taking FOR EVER to connect to the car, I just assumed it was some problem with the Android app. This has been consistently slow. However, I installed it on BlueStacks (an android emulator for Windows) and it is INSTANT. I am not sure what the specific difference is between it on Bluestacks and my phone (they both come from Google Play) but the speed difference is startling.

Reactions: Krebnarb
I've had issues connecting with the iPhone app also, even before the update. I frequently get "servers are busy" message. That's from Tesla app and more recently the "Remote S" app. One time I tried out the keyless feature and was stranded (very close to home), app would not connect to the car, I waited 15 minutes and still nothing. Finally had to be rescued by wifey. :-(

I've had issues connecting with the iPhone app also, even before the update. I frequently get "servers are busy" message. That's from Tesla app and more recently the "Remote S" app. One time I tried out the keyless feature and was stranded (very close to home), app would not connect to the car, I waited 15 minutes and still nothing. Finally had to be rescued by wifey. :-(

Sorry to hear that, that's really frustrating! Really shouldn't happen in this day and age where servers can be built and scaled to handle millions of requests. This feature of remote app control really does seem to be an afterthought for Tesla. maybe it was built by an intern who left or something. They're gonna have to upgrade those servers before model 3 hits the road. I presume the 3 will use the same API.

I've been getting this on my iPhone app all day. Not pleased. I'm at my house, in a major city, where it has worked and connected in the past;
Mine just started having problems today. (iOS)
my Apple iOS started with this issue today. How did you resolve it, or was it not resolved? Thanks:)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 79
I've been getting this on my iPhone app all day. Not pleased. I'm at my house, in a major city, where it has worked and connected in the past;

my Apple iOS started with this issue today. How did you resolve it, or was it not resolved? Thanks:)
The waking car messages means that you've connected to the Tesla servers, but the Tesla servers haven't connected to the car. There are several reasons this could be: LTE/WiFi not responding on the car, LTE/WiFi signal to the car blocked, Tesla servers can't connect to ATT or Internet, Tesla servers too busy so sending is delayed.