Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Model S is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The average range among all of the Model S users of TezLab is 70% of Rated. So it is not possible that "the vast majority of owners get Rated Range plus or minus 5%...".
If the distribution is normal, then half of the owners get WORSE than 70% of Rated Range. Using only 240 wh/mile is truly exceptional.
Not that exceptional. Jul_5_2019.jpg
Jul_5_2019.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and gavine
That's one way to look at it.

I like RR because it is units of energy calibrated for the car you are in. This will be true in any car with RR you drive the future.

Percent is not calibrated at all, so someday when your rental car is an EV, or you get a 2nd car with different battery size and/or
efficiency your experience with your previous car will not help you.

e.g. A drive that took N miles of RR will still take about N miles, but the percent displays can be wildly off (e.g. Go from Tesla to a Leaf )

The trick is to stop thinking of them as miles. They are "units of energy calibrated to your car".

I'm probably wasting my breath here...never mind 8)
Yes, displaying Rated Range which is well calibrated to my car would be very useful. But in my car (2016 Model S 90D) it is very poorly calibrated. My actual range is consistently about 70% of the displayed Rated Range. So if I needed to know what my real range was at any point in time I would need to multiply the displayed range by 0.7. Not intuitively easy for me. OTOH if I set the display to battery percent I can know my actual range by multiplying the displayed number by 2. Quick easy mental calculation.

Truly exceptional. And over a long period of time and miles. Good for you. The vast majority of Model S owners use much more than 245 wh/mile. Here is why I say that:
TezLab shows that on average, Model S owners get 70% of Rated Range (shown as "Efficiency"). Since the rated range is based on somewhere around 300 wh/mile, the average consumption among all of these owners is 300/0.7= 428 wh/mile. (If you believe that the rated range is based on 285 wh/mi, then these owners are using 407 wh/mi). Yes, that includes some who drive in the winter or very fast. But it also includes those like yourself who drive very conservatively. No matter how you look at it, using only 245 wh/mile over a long time is truly exceptional.

Last edited:
I typically get the rated range, but I don't speed excessively on the highway. Sustained high-speed driving kills range faster than anything. I cruise at 64MPH and get the rated range, except when it is extremely cold out. On back roads and around town with slower average speeds, I get better than rated range.
Same here - and I cruise around 68 mph. Once I cruised at 60 MPH and I got better than the estimated range - the speed limit was 56 mph (90 kph)

My rated range over the last 8 months since I've had the car (which includes one winter in Ontario and lots of short drives) has been 320 wh/mile

I also find it hard to drive rental cars when I travel. I'm getting so used to AutoPilot doing it's thing well on the highway and in heavy traffic that I assume my rental car will do the same (they don't, even if they have adaptive cruise and lane assist)

I rented a Ford Explorer about 6 months after I bought my Tesla. It was a real eye opener driving that thing. No torque, no passing speed, spongy handling characteristics, and just no fun in general. I'll never go back to an ICE car.

I rented a Ford Explorer about 6 months after I bought my Tesla. It was a real eye opener driving that thing. No torque, no passing speed, spongy handling characteristics, and just no fun in general. I'll never go back to an ICE car.

The crazy thing is that people who drive Explorers (and never drove Tesla) probably think it's great.

I had similar feelings when my BMW i3 needed a software update. Of course, I had to bring it to the dealer for this <sigh>. They gave me a BMW 3-series loaner. I was amazed at how ancient that thing felt to drive and the 3-series is supposed to be the benchmark.

I've had to rent other cars twice since we bought our Tesla, and both times I parked the car, walked away and was amazed to find that it didn't lock itself when I was out of key range. I had to go back and push a button on the fob to lock the cars. When you get spoiled by a Tesla, you stay spoiled.

Did you remember to turn off the ignition?

This looks like a real problem in USA.
Here in Europe, on the contrary, usually Service Center are TOP, and really appreciated by Tesla owners.

I am beginning to suspect the same. Seems odd that service in many US service centres sounds so poor. While communication was poor prior to and during purchase, once I have been dealing with sc's there has been little reason to complain.

Reactions: f205v