Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Universal Mobile Connector is no longer standard equipment with new orders after 8 July 2022??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I reckon it's like when I bought my first smart phone, it included everything in the box so I could enjoy it to the max without buying anything extra... now 15 years later it's just a phone in a box which is fine now, but imagine if they did that in year 2 or 3
@Hazygrunt, really great analogy! Yes, I think this is it exactly - first time EV buyers will feel ripped off, that the car doesn't automatically come with everything that's needed "in the box".

And yes, it is mostly the psychological side of things. Having said that, I can think of many things I'd rather spend my $550 (or $800) on than an EV charger 😁

The wall charger is only $750 and I got mine installed for only $300 the guy did a great job too. So more like 1k.

Yes similar here, about $400ish for the install (1 phase). In my case the switchboard is in the garage, right next to where the wall charger was going, so a very simple install.

Of course other installs can be a lot harder, such as if the garage is detached and a trench is required to run the new circuit.

• Informative
Reactions: *Sparkles*
They could of done this when then Y was released thus dropping the RWD price buy $500 and putting it in the price range where people would be able to get the state EV rebates, then after the car is delivered go and buy one.. if the rebates were around $3000, then you would of saved $2500..

"Don't you think it would have been better for Tesla to keep the base price as is, but give purchasers an option to deselect the UMC (and save $$ in doing so), while continuing to include the UMC's for those who needed them?"
Yes, when Tesla did the (several thousand dollar) price increase a few weeks ago, they could have padded it by another $550, and nobody would have been the wiser, then this week they could have done what you suggested and our reaction would have been much more positive.

Along the same lines I know a local business that gives a 10% discount if you pay cash.. which sounds great until you flip it around and realise it's actually a 10% credit card surcharge...

Now if tesla where to continue to sell the UMC after sales at the 860$ though I can't find it at all for after sales

It's on the Tesla Shop for $550 now.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardV
Along the same lines I know a local business that gives a 10% discount if you pay cash.. which sounds great until you flip it around and realise it's actually a 10% credit card surcharge...
11.1% credit card surcharge, in fact (assuming the base price is the cash price, the credit card price is 11.1% greater than it).

It's on the Tesla Shop for $550 now.
Specifically Mobile Connector.

Reactions: [Zombie]
But to maximise our solar utilisation to limit our environmental impact may still mean we need a solid solar utilisation solution.
For environmental impact reasons, all that really matters is to maximise your solar production. So if your solar production isn't being otherwise curtailed - such that you can use charging to increase the total produced from your solar - having your charging tracking your solar production doesn't help environment-wise. Just charge during the day, and it doesn't matter whether some of your solar production is going to other people's consumption and some of your charging is coming from other solar production - the overall environmental impact is the same.

Having your charging track your solar production will let you optimise your self-consumption - but that's just an economic benefit to you, and given the price of those chargers, not one that's likely to pay off.

Of course other installs can be a lot harder, such as if the garage is detached and a trench is required to run the new circuit.
Thanks for the info, @Onshore. I think my install would probably fall into the "harder" category, as we (and most houses in our character-home neighbourhood) don't have a garage.

Having said that, can the wall chargers just be installed on any external wall (and does it have to be undercover)?

Having said that, can the wall chargers just be installed on any external wall (and does it have to be undercover)?
Yes, any wall (or even a post) and no - there's plenty of HPWCs out there living in the elements.

That said if it's too accessible from the street you might find tightarses plugging in when you're not around! (although I believe the current generation of HPWC can be set to charge your car only).

Another thing that affects the cost of HWPC installation is like when you get any significant electrical work done - the current state of your existing electrical work might not be up to current standards and have to be upgraded as part of the works. I had to get a new distribution board installed because the old one dated from the 60s.

• Helpful
Thanks for the info, @Onshore. I think my install would probably fall into the "harder" category, as we (and most houses in our character-home neighbourhood) don't have a garage.

Probably best to get your sparky out for a look. They will be able to look at a few possible spots to place the charger and give some ballpark figures based on what's involved in wiring it to the switchboard.

Yes, any outside wall is fine. They are fully outdoor rated. No need for cover. Cable is 7m long, which gives a fair bit of flexibility.

• Helpful
Yes, when Tesla did the (several thousand dollar) price increase a few weeks ago, they could have padded it by another $550, and nobody would have been the wiser, then this week they could have done what you suggested and our reaction would have been much more positive.
Yes, you're right @[Zombie] - the reaction would have been more positive if the $550 had been factored in to the recent price rises.
But even with the way it HAS been handled, I would have preferred Tesla to be transparent about it and just call it a price rise rather than suggest it's an initiative to be less wasteful (which I think is essentially how it was explained in the US).

This is true, too, but I guess I can rationalise this one more easily, as businesses would otherwise have to absorb all the costs of processing CC transactions and purchase/lease of the terminal etc.

Yes, any wall (or even a post) and no - there's plenty of HPWCs out there living in the elements.
Thanks - this is great to know!
That said if it's too accessible from the street you might find tightarses plugging in when you're not around! (although I believe the current generation of HPWC can be set to charge your car only).
Are you joking? Does that really happen? 😳
Another thing that affects the cost of HWPC installation is like when you get any significant electrical work done - the current state of your existing electrical work might not be up to current standards and have to be upgraded as part of the works. I had to get a new distribution board installed because the old one dated from the 60s.
Ah, I think this might be me. Our house is o-l-d (1925) and we always seem to need extra work done...

Over the last 7 weeks I did over 7,000km around NSW, VIC and SA.
I used the UMC more times then not overnight at our accomodation.
I wouldn’t do a road trip without a UMC.
I am glad they have dropped the price as it may be the only way I can get 10amp and 15amp tails.
How did the trip go, @Anubis? 7,000kms is a fair trek!

I'm being nosy, but did you do a comparison between what it cost you in charging vs petrol if you'd gone in an ICE vehicle?

When I got my Model S 18 months ago I went a bit crazy with getting pretty much every conceivable Charging Accessory/Adaptor. Including

- 22kw 3 Phase Mobile Charger (KWIK Portable Type 2 Charger | 32 Amp | 22kW - EVSE Australia)
- 3 Phase Adaptor for Tesla UMC Connector (3-Phase to Tesla UMC Adapter Cable (For 1st Gen UMC only))
- Type 2 3 Phase Cable (Type 2 EV Cable | 2 Year Warranty | EVSE | FREE Shipping)
- Tesla ChaDemo Adaptor for Vehicle (CHAdeMO Adapter)
- Type 1 to Type 2 Convertor for Charging in Type 1 Ports (Type 1 to Type 2 (7kW) EV Charging Adapter)

There's probably another couple of adaptors that I've forgotten also :)

End Result what I end up using more often than not is
- Type 2 Cable (Great for the Dual Charge Model S to suck down 22kw in a Shopping Centre whilst watching a Movie or similar)
- Tesla Suppled Gen1 UMC with 10A Plug (Charging overnight in a random Hotel/Motel Car Park with Extension Lead if no other charging options available)

If you get off the beaten track a bit, and travel distances around the State/Country you really do need a UMC of some kind... you just don't know when charging options aren't going to be available or ICE'd or blocked etc.
There's been numerous times where Hotels/Motels that I was supposed to be staying at had the Destination Chargers out of action, or in use by another vehicle or similar.

• Informative
I haven't actually gotten my car yet, so haven't had to deal with the day-to-day practicalities of it all. What kind of set-up do you have for yours? Wallcharger at home and UMC in car?

Just curious, why do you stow the UMC? I have a type 2 to type 2 for emergency charges but surely it would be rare to use the UMC on the road unless it was a road trip?

In my case, I have the HPWC in my garage and keep the UMC in the sub-boot, along with an industrial rated 10m extension lead.

I have used the UMC on a number of trips, when I have stayed at holiday houses or cabins that are not close to any public chargers. With the UMC and the extension lead, I know that I can charge overnight and have enough range for whatever day trip I’m doing the next day.

Some places have outdoor power points. One cabin had a double GPO on the side, one socket used for the instantaneous gas hot water, the other I could use to charge my car 😄 but I needed the extension lead to reach my car.

Other places have no outdoor power points. Then I find the closest powerpoint in the cabin/house to where I park the car, and run the extension lead out through a gap under a door or window.

It’s convenient to know in the morning you don’t need to find a charge anywhere and can just get going.

In my case, I have the HPWC in my garage and keep the UMC in the sub-boot, along with an industrial rated 10m extension lead.

I have used the UMC on a number of trips, when I have stayed at holiday houses or cabins that are not close to any public chargers. With the UMC and the extension lead, I know that I can charge overnight and have enough range for whatever day trip I’m doing the next day.

Some places have outdoor power points. One cabin had a double GPO on the side, one socket used for the instantaneous gas hot water, the other I could use to charge my car 😄 but I needed the extension lead to reach my car.

Other places have no outdoor power points. Then I find the closest powerpoint in the cabin/house to where I park the car, and run the extension lead out through a gap under a door or window.

It’s convenient to know in the morning you don’t need to find a charge anywhere and can just get going.
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Great idea to bring along the extension cord - sounds like you're prepared for just about anything!!