Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The unofficial "when do I get my FSD beta update" FAQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! New here.

I just emailed earlyaccess@ to see what's going on.

I had Early Access FSD Beta on my old car, and I have a new 2022 Model 3 Performance (about 500 miles).

I've been in the queue since January 1st (3 weeks), and I've averaged a safety score of 100 (the first 2 weeks) or 99 the entire time. The score on my old car was also 99 and it only took a couple days before.

I've been averaging over 100 miles every 3 or 4 days.

What do you guys think? Anyone else like this? Is there something I'm missing? Lol
I’m in the same boat. Almost at 1700 miles. 98 score. Made a post specifically about it. Also emailed them 3 days ago. No response. AND I just got the 44.30.8 update and hour ago. That’s not the one I want! Lol

I am thinking of purchasing FSD but don't want it if I won't have FSD beta.
I understand there is a lot of criteria to meet (98, delay, miles, etc) but what are the chances I get it if I meet all of these. above 90%, 90 to 50 or like below 50% ?
I understand you might not have an exact number, but ballpark would help me make my decision.
Thanks for you help.

I am thinking of purchasing FSD but don't want it if I won't have FSD beta.
I understand there is a lot of criteria to meet (98, delay, miles, etc) but what are the chances I get it if I meet all of these. above 90%, 90 to 50 or like below 50% ?
I understand you might not have an exact number, but ballpark would help me make my decision.
Thanks for you help.
At this point, who knows. Haven’t been any new testers accepted since before Christmas. Lots of us sitting with 1000+ miles and 98+ scores. It’s pretty ridiculous. I too am not okay with paying $215 a month for no beta. The only useful feature is auto lane change without it. And that’s not worth $2500 a year

At this point, who knows. Haven’t been any new testers accepted since before Christmas. Lots of us sitting with 1000+ miles and 98+ scores. It’s pretty ridiculous. I too am not okay with paying $215 a month for no beta. The only useful feature is auto lane change without it. And that’s not worth $2500 a year
I opted back in to see my safety score and it hasn’t shown up in days (over a week, actually).

This may be an indication that either general FSD is going to the public without need for safety scores, or 11.0 is around the corner and rules somewhat changed.

By the way, besides auto lane change, I find that navigate on autopilot and stopping for green lights & stop signs are pretty useful features in the FSD package.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I opted back in to see my safety score and it hasn’t shown up in days (over a week, actually).

This may be an indication that either general FSD is going to the public without need for safety scores, or 11.0 is around the corner and rules somewhat changed.

By the way, besides auto lane change, I find that navigate on autopilot and stopping for green lights & stop signs are pretty useful features in the FSD package.
I honestly don’t enjoy the stopping for lights specifically because you can’t turn it off it while driving. Half of my 30 mile commute has flashing yellow lights every half mile warning of “curves ahead” and I can’t just press down on the stalk to go through them. EVERY flash it causes a notification and I have to just keep tapping the stalk multiple times and pressing the gas every single one . Pretty dumb design.

If I could toggle it on or off while driving it would be a positive thing for me.

I honestly don’t enjoy the stopping for lights specifically because you can’t turn it off it while driving. Half of my 30 mile commute has flashing yellow lights every half mile warning of “curves ahead” and I can’t just press down on the stalk to go through them. EVERY flash it causes a notification and I have to just keep tapping the stalk multiple times and pressing the gas every single one . Pretty dumb design.

If I could toggle it on or off while driving it would be a positive thing for me.
@Raurele you've made two comments on this today so I thought I'd share how it works on FSD Beta, and hopefully in a future general release.

Before that though, I agree with you on signal control being annoying on the production release. It works great in Raleigh (less lights) but is a massive PITA in DC (tons of lights)

The signal control option has no bearing on how FSD beta handles signals. It also doesn't require confirmation to proceed through greens (or yellows) even with no lead car.

So to the other users point, the train signal behavior on the Dan Ryan can't be corrected by turning it off; they would have to switch to the non-fsd beta profile for that option to work.

For me, on the production version, the car also performs very poorly with bi-directional lanes controlled by overhead signals (you know, the red X or Green arrow). It starts braking even on the greens until a confirmation is given which is annoying when there are signals every mile or so. The FSD beta version does still very briefly, almost imperceptibly, display the 'stopping for traffic control...' advisory but then makes a decision to disregard it with more time. So somewhere in the software it still briefly mislabels the signals.

I hope when you get the beta, and it sounds like you're doing the right things and will, the flashing yellows work for you as well. Keep us posted.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezlowski
I am thinking of purchasing FSD but don't want it if I won't have FSD beta...

At the risk of stating the obvious, there is at least one other potential reason for purchasing Full Self-Driving (FSD) now: if you believe that FSD will cost significantly more later. So if you are seriously considering buying FSD eventually, does it make sense to get it now regardless of whether FSD Beta testing is available to you right away?

This has been and will continue to be an interesting discussion with multiple factors that can affect decision-making.

I refer you to this article and its graphs (that educated me):

Tesla FSD Sales Decline?

FSD Prices Over Time.jpg

As we know, Tesla has historically offered Autopilot (AP), Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), and FSD. From late 2016 until early 2019 prices were stable for these options. Note that for people who wanted every self-driving feature, the total cost of AP/EAP & FSD remained $8,000. (I did not realize that.) After 2019, AP and EAP ceased to be factors. (EAP went away and AP became a standard feature.) There was a relatively brief period in 2020 when FSD cost only $7,000. But since then, costs have gone up some would say alarmingly). Not shown on this graph: I believe that FSD costs $12,000 now?

So, the question becomes, does it pay to purchase an admittedly flawed option now, at the current price, or wait for improvement but at some unknown, possibly significantly higher, future price?

Or is it possible that once FSD is offered as an option to all drivers the price could fall? Or that it could become a standard feature of all models?

It is interesting to note that overall sales of FSD have apparently steadily fallen in recent years. Although the "take" rate for (expensive) Models S and X has remained relatively stable (at around 60%), the much greater number of arguably more price-conscious Models 3 and Y buyers may be more and more shunning the expensive FSD option.

FSD Take-Rate.jpg

I personally think that the development of true, full autonomous driving for mass-market personal vehicles available to the general public will be one of the most significant technological breakthroughs of all time. Will Tesla be among the first to achieve this? I don't know. If Tesla does eventually achieve it, when will it happen? Not sure. How will it affect sales. A lot, I imagine. How about the cost (of FSD)? I defer to wiser (economics-trained) heads for that question.

Last edited:
At the risk of stating the obvious, there is at least one other potential reason for purchasing Full Self-Driving (FSD) now: if you believe that FSD will cost significantly more later. So if you are seriously considering buying FSD eventually, does it make sense to get it now regardless of whether FSD Beta testing is available to you right away?

This has been and will continue to be an interesting discussion with multiple factors that can affect decision-making.

I refer you to this article and its graphs (that educated me):

Tesla FSD Sales Decline?

As we know, Tesla has historically offered Autopilot (AP), Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), and FSD. From late 2016 until early 2019 prices were stable for these options. Note that for people who wanted every self-driving feature, the total cost of AP/EAP & FSD remained $8,000. (I did not realize that.) After 2019, AP and EAP ceased to be factors. (EAP went away and AP became a standard feature.) There was a relatively brief period in 2020 when FSD cost only $7,000. But since then, costs have gone up some would say alarmingly). Not shown on this graph: I believe that FSD costs $12,000 now?

So, the question becomes, does it pay to purchase an admittedly flawed option now, at the current price, or wait for improvement but at some unknown, possibly significantly higher, future price?

Or is it possible that once FSD is offered as an option to all drivers the price could fall? Or that it could become a standard feature of all models?

It is interesting to note that overall sales of FSD have apparently steadily fallen in recent years. Although the "take" rate for (expensive) Models S and X has remained relatively stable (at around 60%), the much greater number of arguably more price-conscious Models 3 and Y buyers may be more and more shunning the expensive FSD option.

I personally think that the development of true, full autonomous driving for mass-market personal vehicles available to the general public will be one of the most significant technological breakthroughs of all time. Will Tesla be among the first to achieve this? I don't know. If Tesla does eventually achieve it, when will it happen? Not sure. How will it affect sales. A lot, I imagine. How about the cost (of FSD)? I defer to wiser (economics-trained) heads for that question.
Until the full cost FSD can be transferred to your next car, subscription model makes more sense. Even if they raise the price. If you buy it for 12k, and crash your car within 4 years, you’re losing money and can’t transfer it to your replacement. Screw that. I guarantee if they said you could transfer the full purchase option, more people would buy it. Wonder what the percentage of subscription users is. Also, it doesn’t add valued enough close to 12k to resale. Another win for subscription.

Ooh, don’t forgot green light chime! You get that too! Whee!

@Raurele you've made two comments on this today so I thought I'd share how it works on FSD Beta, and hopefully in a future general release.

Before that though, I agree with you on signal control being annoying on the production release. It works great in Raleigh (less lights) but is a massive PITA in DC (tons of lights)

The signal control option has no bearing on how FSD beta handles signals. It also doesn't require confirmation to proceed through greens (or yellows) even with no lead car.

So to the other users point, the train signal behavior on the Dan Ryan can't be corrected by turning it off; they would have to switch to the non-fsd beta profile for that option to work.

For me, on the production version, the car also performs very poorly with bi-directional lanes controlled by overhead signals (you know, the red X or Green arrow). It starts braking even on the greens until a confirmation is given which is annoying when there are signals every mile or so. The FSD beta version does still very briefly, almost imperceptibly, display the 'stopping for traffic control...' advisory but then makes a decision to disregard it with more time. So somewhere in the software it still briefly mislabels the signals.

I hope when you get the beta, and it sounds like you're doing the right things and will, the flashing yellows work for you as well. Keep us posted.
can't wait... sitting here with a 99 score and 1700 miles...

I think others on the TMC Forum have suggested that Tesla feels it has enough FSD Beta testers in the USA right at the moment. Since there seems to be a sizeable backlog of deserving candidates for the FSD Beta program, I would not be surprised if that were true. But if true (a) the situation could change at any moment and (b) it would be disappointing (to me) that Tesla did not respect its customers enough to alert them that the search for new testers is temporarily on hold.* We know that the FSD Beta testing program will soon expand to Canada. Drivers there will soon have reasons to be just as frightened, anxious, and/or annoyed as American FSD Beta testers and testers-to-be.
* On the other hand, it seems like we mostly hear from (or are drawn to posts by) drivers waiting to become a FSD Beta testers. Are we sure that new testers are not being accepted in adequate numbers? How often do FSD Beta testers leave that program (and need to be replaced)? Seems to me we have a paucity of data.

I think others on the TMC Forum have suggested that Tesla feels it has enough FSD Beta testers in the USA right at the moment. Since there seems to be a sizeable backlog of deserving candidates for the FSD Beta program, I would not be surprised if that were true. But if true (a) the situation could change at any moment and (b) it would be disappointing (to me) that Tesla did not respect its customers enough to alert them that the search for new testers is temporarily on hold.* We know that the FSD Beta testing program will soon expand to Canada. Drivers there will soon have reasons to be just as frightened, anxious, and/or annoyed as American FSD Beta testers and testers-to-be.
* On the other hand, it seems like we mostly hear from (or are drawn to posts by) drivers waiting to become a FSD Beta testers. Are we sure that new testers are not being accepted in adequate numbers? How often do FSD Beta testers leave that program (and need to be replaced)? Seems to me we have a paucity of data.

Let’s not jump right to this conclusion for the sake of not driving owners who have been crawling around with a safety score for over 4 months into a blithering rage.

I think the theory that the heat pump fix was prioritized over everything makes sense for this delay but who knows. It’s Tesla. It’s just one big circus act that we paid tens of thousands of dollars to watch.

I think others on the TMC Forum have suggested that Tesla feels it has enough FSD Beta testers in the USA right at the moment...

Here's an older article about the "insane" amount of data Tesla is (was) collecting from testers.

Full Self-Driving Data Being Collected by Tesla

And that was from way back in 2020. Right now there are what?--two or three thousand on-the-road testers in the USA? Even though most may not be contributing testing hours most of the time, that may still cumulatively be a lot of over-the-air data being collected every day? So maybe the Tesla FSD Beta testing program, its staff, analytical machinery, and code writers are maxed out right now? (Is that at all possible?)

I am not arguing that others should not have the chance to contribute. And if I was waiting to participate, I'd be frustrated and annoyed, also. And I think Tesla shoots itself in the foot by not better communicating with its otherwise loyal customers.

But perhaps Tesla is at some sort of maximum level of data input right now?

Here's an idea. What if Tesla set a time limit on FSD Beta testing? I don't know; maybe during this preliminary period you get to do it for 3 or 6 months or something, then someone else gets a try? (But perhaps that would be logistically more difficult? Or maybe they want the stability of using the same test subjects over time? I don't know.)

As usual, we (non-employees) know very little about Tesla policy and inner workings, so we are mostly in the dark about what is really going on. We can only watch and wait and enjoy, or not, the occasional software update (which is a little like getting a new car every so often).

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Here's an older article about the "insane" amount of data Tesla is (was) collecting from testers.

Full Self-Driving Data Being Collected by Tesla

And that was from way back in 2020. Right now there are what?--two or three thousand on-the-road testers in the USA? Even though most may not be contributing testing hours most of the time, that may still cumulatively be a lot of over-the-air data being collected every day? So maybe the Tesla FSD Beta testing program, its staff, analytical machinery, and code writers are maxed out right now? (Is that at all possible?)

I am not arguing that others should not have the chance to contribute. And if I was waiting to participate, I'd be frustrated and annoyed, also. And I think Tesla shoots itself in the foot by not better communicating with its otherwise loyal customers.

But perhaps Tesla is at some sort of maximum level of data input right now?

Here's an idea. What if Tesla set a time limit on FSD Beta testing? I don't know; maybe during this preliminary period you get to do it for 3 or 6 months or something, then someone else gets a try? (But perhaps that would be logistically more difficult? Or maybe they want the stability of using the same test subjects over time? I don't know.)

As usual, we (non-employees) know very little about Tesla policy and inner workings, so we are mostly in the dark about what is really going on. We can only watch and wait and enjoy, or not, the occasional software update (which is a little like getting a new car every so often).
That aged well. Now we know it’s 60,000 lol. But they should let us know they aren’t accepting more. This feta score limbo sucks