Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The WhiteHouse designating 48 National Electric Vehicle Charging Corridors on our Highways

What is your reaction to this news?

• Positive

Votes: 60 71.4%
  • Negative

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Undecided No response

Votes: 17 20.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Post article also makes a vague reference to other possible alternative energy fueling stations. "Thursday's announcement doesn't just cover electric vehicles. It also identifies several interstates as refueling corridors for cars that run on hydrogen, propane and natural gas." Toyota's lobbyists will likely be working that bit. What is it, around 2 million to build a hydrogen fueling station? I'd take 10 more EV charging stations for every one of those.

Good point. I voted positive, but now I'm not so sure. This seems like a lot of political posturing and might not turn out to anything substantial.

It's a kludge of EV, H2, Propane, CNG, and LNG, and none of it appears to be comprehensive except perhaps CNG.
Fleets, especially governments, love CNG due to low costs and big incentives. But it's not a green fuel, it's just plentiful.

The only good thing you could say is most of the participants appear to be EV related, not CNG/LNG/Propane/H2.

The map is bizarre. The routes go up to certain states and truncate. AZ, NM, KS, WY, etc. Some states are excluded from the EV program.
I can see that if those states' highway departments are not interested in participating, the lines end right at the state line. Just like the California Energy Commission grants for corridor fast charging have hard ends at the state line. That's unfortunate for places like Primm, NV because there is literally nothing on the CA side of the border, but there really needs to be fast charging there for non-Tesla cars.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I can see that if those states' highway departments are not interested in participating, the lines end right at the state line. Just like the California Energy Commission grants for corridor fast charging have hard ends at the state line. That's unfortunate for places like Primm, NV because there is literally nothing on the CA side of the border, but there really needs to be fast charging there for non-Tesla cars.
The CEC just approved grants for a bunch of east-west routes that include the I-15 route to Las Vegas via Primm.

I haven't seen the exact proposed station locations yet but there should be DC charging on that route within the next couple of years. Finally!

The CEC just approved grants for a bunch of east-west routes that include the I-15 route to Las Vegas via Primm.

I haven't seen the exact proposed station locations yet but there should be DC charging on that route within the next couple of years. Finally!

Trivia - The I-15 only appears to be East-West as you drive. It is actually North-South. San Diego is further EAST than Las Vegas is, and the 15 goes straight from San Diego to Vegas. Strange but true.

Trivia - The I-15 only appears to be East-West as you drive. It is actually North-South. San Diego is further EAST than Las Vegas is, and the 15 goes straight from San Diego to Vegas. Strange but true.
Are you sure about that? Las Vegas has GPS coordinates of 36.1699° N, 115.1398° W and San Diego's are 32.7157° N, 117.1611° W, placing it southwest of Las Vegas. Plus you can just look at a map...:rolleyes:

2016-11-04_1402.png

the designation is a give away, North/South interstates have odd numbers while the east west routes are even numbered. you can throw all that out for the triple numbered interstates which are usually loops or stubs

Well, okay but in that section it seems east-west relative to north-south I-5. But, yes, technically I-15 is a north-south interstate.

I'll bring up a suggestion that has gotten a cold response here in the past. I feel this suggestion would make this whole plan kind of obsolete and help to consolidate to one charging standard.....drumroll.....
Supercharger to CCS and/or Chademo adapter.

Tesla could charge a huge premium, make a lot of money, promote EV adoption, expand the SC network. Seems like everybody wins.

I'll bring up a suggestion that has gotten a cold response here in the past. I feel this suggestion would make this whole plan kind of obsolete and help to consolidate to one charging standard.....drumroll.....
Supercharger to CCS and/or Chademo adapter.

Tesla could charge a huge premium, make a lot of money, promote EV adoption, expand the SC network. Seems like everybody wins.

Two concepts would aid Tesla owners, and increase Tesla's profitability:

1) A CCS adapter that allows Teslas to charge at CCS stations. Tesla makes a small profit on the adapter, but it expands Tesla driver's charging location options, which would accelerate expansion of CCS locations, and reduce loading of urban Superchargers, since CCS sites are clustered in urban areas. The income is derived from slower required expansion of urban SC capabilities, and lower electric costs as well as sale of the adapter itself.

2) A "leased" Supercharger adapter that permits CHAdeMO and CCS cars to charge at Superchargers. To avoid congestion, aim the pricing accordingly, and use only a single SC fixture that will allow the adapter. Teslas will still charge for free at the "All EV's" station, but other brands would pay. It would show owners of lessor brands the advantages of Superchargers while monetizing the sites at the same time. "All EV's Welcome" would be at one end, and "Reserved For Tesla EV's" at the other stalls.

The more use remote charging sites get, the more will be built. The more congested CCS sites will up the kW's to derive the most income.

Plan 2 would require some capital, but perhaps not a lot. Something as simple as a Bluetooth chip in a single stall and a Bluetooth chip in the adapter would be all that is required. If the stall does not chat with the adapter, no charging will happen.

To keep costs low, the chip in the adapter will also talk with a cellphone. You use a webphone app to purchase more time, which is sent via bluetooth to the adapter, so it can be refreshed anywhere, anytime, with no human intervention or remote networking equipment for the Superchargers.

Last edited:
It could be pay per use/kWh, flat fee... The real thrust of this idea is that it would instantly give all CCS and Chademo cars access to high quality, nation-wide network. The double bonus is profitable implementation that would allow for expansion of the network. Round and round we go.

Think of those Leaf drivers planning a trip, just crossing their fingers that an underpowered Chademo is not already in use, or ICEd, or non-functioning.

The language for that corridor is "I-15: North of Victorville to West of Nevada". There is no mention of Primm or Las Vegas since they're not in California. Commission staff proposed that corridor be awarded to ChargePoint in the NOPA dated October 10, 2016.

GFO 15-603 Corridors.jpg

Count me as negative on this one. Taxpayer dollars going to what would otherwise be an unprofitable and unsustainable idea doesn't seem like a good idea. Let the ev companies organize amongst themselves, or not, to build the network but please don't take money from the citizens to do so.

Imo electric vehicles are well beyond the point of needing subsidies at this point.