Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The world after the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla isn't going to be cranking out a half-million 3's in 2018. I just don't believe that. If they're able to get 25-50k 3's out in 2017, I'd call that a big win. Increasing that 10-20 fold in 2018 though? Crazy talk. But I would think something like 200k is possible if Tesla launches the 3 on time.

(These are just numbers I've made up. They're not meant to be predictive. They only represent what I believe to be reasonable production figures.)

If the 3 is successful these next 5 years (potentially a few million on roadways worldwide), I think you'll see two things: 1) electric vehicles - or at least Teslas - will be viewed as more practical than they currently are, 2) the Tesla haters spewing nonsense will actually get louder.

I don't think the 3 represents some massive revolution or shift. Many people won't buy the 3 because it's still too expensive for them, even the base vehicle. And for most people, charging 30 minutes every two hours while on a road trip is a nuisance. The batteries also need to increase in energy density and charging needs to decrease substantially. Otherwise EVs will remain a niche, but sizable (and growing) market. But it will be more likely that you know somebody who drives a pure EV and they will be much more accepted as "the car of the future" instead of the oddity they still currently are.

What I'm saying is, the world won't truly change via EVs until they are as quick to fill up and have a range as far as most ice vehicles today, at a price point more in line with today's mass produced ice vehicles. As of right now, that's not the 3, but that vehicle may not be too far off.

And yes, Tesla haters will have to double down on their lies and smears when the 3 is going at full production. Those people are either too ignorant, too unwilling to admit they were wrong, or too indebted to the legacy manufacturers and fossil fuel giants.

Reactions: Pdub2015
Tesla isn't going to be cranking out a half-million 3's in 2018.

I agree, that seems unlikely. Tesla has been increasing their deliveries at an impressive annual rate of 50% for some years now. If they were to be able to maintain that growth (and assuming they meet their 80k guidance for this year), we get these deliveries in the coming eight years:

2017 120k
2018 180k
2019 270k
2020 405k
2021 608k
2022 911k
2023 1367k
2024 2050k

But I am not the one who is a billionaire...

Last edited:
If they're able to get 25-50k 3's out in 2017, I'd call that a big win. Increasing that 10-20 fold in 2018 though? Crazy talk.
I agree, that seems unlikely. Tesla has been increasing their deliveries at an impressive annual rate of 50% for some years now. If they were to be able to maintain that growth (and assuming they meet their 80k guidance for this year), we get these deliveries in the coming eight years:

2017 120k
2018 180k
2019 270k
2020 405k
2021 608k
2022 911k
2023 1367k
2024 2050k

Keep in mind from 2012 to 2013 there was an 800% increase due to Model S production ramp up and having a full year vs part of a year's production.

The model 3 production lines are going to be designed with volume goals in mind from the very beginning...

@alseTrick -- Wow. This is the closest thing to a hopeful, forward thinking post I've ever seen from you. And I still don't like your overall tone.

Tesla isn't going to be cranking out a half-million 3's in 2018. I just don't believe that.
Well, it's a good thing that isn't what Tesla said they are going to do in 2018. They said the total operating Capacity at Fremont would reach 500,000 units in 2018. Capacity is typically higher than Production, which is in turn greater than Sales/Deliveries. Assuming that Model S and Model X combined sales grow to perhaps 100,000 units combined (80,000 on the low end, and 120,000 on the high end, I think) that leaves perhaps 400,000 units of Model ☰ to potentially be built in 2018.

If they're able to get 25-50k 3's out in 2017, I'd call that a big win. Increasing that 10-20 fold in 2018 though? Crazy talk. But I would think something like 200k is possible if Tesla launches the 3 on time.
It will be a 'big win' indeed WHEN (no, not 'IF') the Model ☰ manages to outsell all BOLT production to date in the waning months of 2017. 50,000 units would do the trick, and anything over 30,000 units almost certainly get it done. But Elon Musk would like to shoot for higher heights, aiming for the 100,000 to 200,000 unit mark. If Tesla were to achieve only 40% completion of that goal it would be 40,000-to-80,000 units during 2017 and blow away your estimate. If those can be Delivered within the last three months of 2017, that makes for a 160,000-to-320,000 unit build rate to START 2018. And that would be with several months left over to build upon that manufacturing rate through the course of the year.

(These are just numbers I've made up. They're not meant to be predictive. They only represent what I believe to be reasonable production figures.)
Except, they look mighty predictive anyway...

If the 3 is successful these next 5 years (potentially a few million on roadways worldwide), I think you'll see two things: 1) electric vehicles - or at least Teslas - will be viewed as more practical than they currently are, 2) the Tesla haters spewing nonsense will actually get louder.
Those two things will likely happen, despite that 'IF' you put in there. But Tesla is already considered fairly practical, to those with an I.Q. an order of magnitude above their sneaker size, anyway. Tesla should have introduced a very capable full sized pickup truck well within the next five years, and that will certainly quiet a few of the detractors. Yes. Including the 'coal rollers'.

I don't think the 3 represents some massive revolution or shift.
Why not?

Many people won't buy the 3 because it's still too expensive for them, even the base vehicle.
Well, that's why during 2015, with the average sale price of new cars sold in the U.S. climbing over $33,000...? And over 17,000,000 new cars sold that year...? There were 38,000,000 USED CARS with an average sale price of $18,000 sold. Yes, a 21,000,000 unit gap. So, yeah, pretty much by default, 'many people' do not buy new cars any [DURNED] way! But you know what? You have to SELL NEW CARS before you can SELL USED CARS. The used cars sold had an average age of around 10 years, and there aren't any Tesla vehicles that old yet. But there will be, within the next five years. Though none of them will be a Model ☰.

And for most people, charging 30 minutes every two hours while on a road trip is a nuisance.
For me, it is a 'nuisance' to stop on a road trip half an hour after asking if everyone was ready to go, after the last stop, because someone who said they were 'fine' before all of a sudden has to pee. Why didn't you pee while we were at the Pilot/TA/Love's or whatever? It is also a nuisance to transport smokers, or alcoholics, because they have to stop more often than children, it seems. But plugging up once every THREE hours or so, for half an hour? No problem at all. I can take a walk, maybe have a quick nap to rest my eyes, or grab a bite to eat. I figure the ~1,900 mile trip I take from Los Angeles to the Family Homestead in Mississippi would take around 8 hours longer in a Supercharger enabled EV. And I'd still get their sooner, by about 8 hours, than those in the Family that drive SLOWEST.

The batteries also need to increase in energy density and charging needs to decrease substantially. Otherwise EVs will remain a niche, but sizable (and growing) market.
Neither of those is particularly necessary. Those aren't 'needs' at all, though the advance in technology will allow them to happen anyway. That is, if you believe that a 'substantial' increase in energy density for battery packs is to make them as energy dense as gasoline, you are wrong. Because electric vehicles are vastly more efficient than ICE, it is not necessary to have as large an energy reserve on hand. Eventually, and likely within the next five years, we will have battery packs that have the energy capacity of five gallons of gasoline. At 170 kWh battery pack capacity in a normal sized passenger car you won't need it to occupy the same amount of space or weigh the same as a 5 gallon gerry can. Even if it occupies the same volume as 25 gallons of gasoline and weighs four times as much that would be a tremendous advance. You would easily achieve a 500 mile range, and charging would be faster simply by having a higher capacity. Most times you wouldn't actually even stop to charge, so much as you would for biological needs (eat, sleep, lavatory), and just plug-in while you are away from the car. Should a super-fast charging mechanism be delivered, it will be even easier. "Ding, ding, ding, ding... BONG!" And you're done! There was a time when imported cars from Japan were a niche market in the U.S. And ten years later, GM's market share had dropped from 53% to 35% instead. Today? They are under 18%.

But it will be more likely that you know somebody who drives a pure EV and they will be much more accepted as "the car of the future" instead of the oddity they still currently are.
DUH.

What I'm saying is, the world won't truly change via EVs until they are as quick to fill up and have a range as far as most ice vehicles today, at a price point more in line with today's mass produced ice vehicles. As of right now, that's not the 3, but that vehicle may not be too far off.
Wrong. The 'quick to fill up' and 'range as far' points are red herrings. Very few people go on 'splash & dash' road trips. Most people spend a LOT more time at gas stations than they realize. Most people have no idea whatsoever as to the actual range of their cars. They just find a gas station and pull over when the needle points to 1/4 tank remaining. The average sale price of 'today's mass produced ice vehicles' is precisely in line with a $35,000 base price. That's why there is such a crossover in pricing at GM between Buick, Cadillac, and Chevrolet lines.

And yes, Tesla haters will have to double down on their lies and smears when the 3 is going at full production. Those people are either too ignorant, too unwilling to admit they were wrong, or too indebted to the legacy manufacturers and fossil fuel giants.
Perhaps. But your own attitude is not going to help dispel the myths that have convinced them there is something 'wrong' with an electric vehicle. Just because people hold those views, doesn't mean you have to agree with them. There will be plenty enough people who are willing to switch to pure EV without Tesla Model ☰ being 'for everyone'. And, once those people who primarily buy used cars are able over the course of the next 5-to-10 years to pick up their first Tesla, they will. Then, we'll have a whole new generation of EV Evangelists to spread the word. And that will be the true REVOLUTION.

Keep in mind from 2012 to 2013 there was an 800% increase due to Model S production ramp up and having a full year vs part of a year's production.

The model 3 production lines are going to be designed with volume goals in mind from the very beginning...
Correct. The Tesla Roadster was perhaps 600 units per year. They got to 700 units per week of Model S before the end of 2013. And the Model S was originally planned for perhaps 15,000 units per year. But seems to be on target for better than 60,000 units during 2016. A total of over 11 years worth of cars Produced in only 4-1/2.

That 800% increase was with much small production numbers than what we are talking about with the 3, if we are to believe Tesla will produce 500k 3's in 2018.

I don't think they come close to 500k. But I also think even 200k would be a huge achievement (along with ~100k S/X).

You're a hard marker. If only half of the EVs announced this year as a direct result of the M3 actually make it to the streets I would contend it is.

I'm not sure what "hard marker" means. But I'm pretty comfortable with my remarks that the 3 is merely an important car on the path to "the car". "The car" being a car with much faster charging capabilities and battery range than the 3 is likely to have in the next few years, and at a price point that is affordable to the vast majority of new vehicle buyers.

You give people a car that starts at ~$20k, that can go 400+ miles on a full battery and only takes no more than 10 minutes to fill up; that's the game-changer. Does that car exist today? No. Will it eventually exist? Won't it eventually have to exist if we expect EVs to become the standard? The technology for that car just isn't ready yet. Maybe in 10 years.

And I'd like to think by then Tesla has rethought its statement to no longer plan a vehicle cheaper than the 3, because that could be "the car".

I'm 100% in agreement with you, but I take heart in the fact that you still see people motoring down the road in their Model T (at least here in the Napa Valley) so I suspect if I take care of it my track prepped but street legal Miata will be around as long as I am. People still ride horses for fun, too, just not normally for transportation. The only difference will be we won't have to do any more of the mundane driving unless we want to.
I want an electric car that is safe and can drive itself but will allow me to have control over it. That is a big question.
  • ICE cars are currently the ones that you mentioned as freedom cars. I want electric freedom cars.
  • If the car can drive itself, it has the ability to prevent you from doing things. How can I overcome that? Society? Lawfulness of control? Subjection by government?
  • Safe: as long as I have control over it, I can make exceptions when I think the self-driving programming has been hacked (or "operated by lawful means") to put me at risk (for whatever reason: some politician wants me dead, or a criminal, or both). Hopefully, if this is true, I will also be able to add personally bought double-check logic redundancy modules that don't let the built-in computer cause a crash (on purpose or unintentionally). I haven't seen standard interfaces for that capability built or tested, and such an interface would have to disallow preemption (for whatever reason) by "authorities" (who would be the target of hacking by hackers so it doesn't matter what you call them at that point), and ALLOW preemption by the module I bought and supposedly control.
By the way, if this sounds outlandish, it's not. I think we need to handle these issues sooner or later, whether with cars or robots.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what "hard marker" means. But I'm pretty comfortable with my remarks...snip...You give people a car that starts at ~$20k, that can go 400+ miles on a full battery and only takes no more than 10 minutes to fill up; that's the game-changer. Does that car exist today? No.
Your statement that you don't think the 3 represents some massive revolution or shift ignores the importance of this product as a catalyst for change, in a similar way to the Ford Model T that is remembered as a turning point for the personal transport industry, not as a great car in and of itself.

Reactions: Mark C and lklundin
Your statement that you don't think the 3 represents some massive revolution or shift ignores the importance of this product as a catalyst for change, in a similar way to the Ford Model T that is remembered as a turning point for the personal transport industry, not as a great car in and of itself.

One more time: A $20k EV with 350 mile range that refuels in <10 minutes...that's the event horizon. That is the Model T/assembly line. Until then, vehicles like the 3 or Y or whatever are just important next steps leading up to that moment.

Reactions: Lem89
I'm not so sure that the world will be different after the launch of the M3, however the world will certainly be at the birthplace of a transportation shift - or should I say the birth of planetary salvation opportunities.
To be able to save our planet via the automotive industry would finally emerge on a large scale. What's amazing about it is that it will happen off of pure desire buy our planets residents. There won't be any advertising necessary....just word of mouth and desire of the heart. Unfortunately when something like this happens some people will lose lots of money - that being the oil industry. I just pray that those super duper rich folks won't put too much pressure on ELON and that some other EV mass production companies would step forward to share the burden of pressure that Tesla has/will experience(d).

Reactions: Red Sage
You and I know Tesla is a company trying to transition the world into sustainable transport and energy but a lot of people see Tesla as a company making cars for rich people. So Model 3 will undo some of that and make Tesla a common brand, accessible to more people.

The Tesla Network will make Model 3 stand out even more than the S or X. When hailing a self-driving Tesla becomes a trend, Model 3s will be in such high volume they will become synonymous with autonomous cars. So Model 3 can be responsible for self-driving revolution.

Then comes the Model Y and Tesla truck and it's easy to see why Tesla is such an exciting company to follow.

Reactions: Red Sage and garsh
One more time: A $20k EV with 350 mile range that refuels in <10 minutes...that's the event horizon. That is the Model T/assembly line. Until then, vehicles like the 3 or Y or whatever are just important next steps leading up to that moment.

I always fail to see why people think EVs need to be substantially better than ICEs to take hold on the subject of cost.

Smartphones destroyed the basic phone market and a decent smartphone costs 10x that of a decent basic phone. A good smartphone data plan costs significantly more than a good basic phone plan now, so you have not only higher upfront costs but also higher ongoing costs.

EVs are not only better on just about all fronts (yes, even refueling--unless you're taking road trips daily, the lack of time spent charging for all local driving saves far more time than weekly gas station visits), but they also will cost much less over a standard car loan with the Model 3.

Yes, cars have longer lifetimes than phones. But just imagine how much faster the smartphone revolution would have happened if smartphones cost less than basic phones, both upfront and over time. EVs also have ride sharing that will, quite literally overnight, cause any gas car to become obsolete by burning tons of your money for no good purpose overall--this will happen even for those people who may normally be several years from buying their next car.

The only downside I can see with EVs is that they are political (because apparently wanting clean air is a bad thing), but in most progressive regions I expect near-full EV saturation within 20 years at most, but probably closer to 10 years as autonomous ride-sharing services kill the gas car market.

Reactions: Red Sage and Lem89
Smartphones destroyed the basic phone market and a decent smartphone costs 10x that of a decent basic phone. A good smartphone data plan costs significantly more than a good basic phone plan now, so you have not only higher upfront costs but also higher ongoing costs.
Exactly. In the value equation the smartphone wins.

Even though in some aspects we've lost so much: smartphones still don't have weeks of standby and days of talk time like my final dumb one did. I used to only charge my phone on the weekend! And with real buttons I could dial or text without looking...but I'm not going to trade back to a time when I couldn't watch netflix between tweets and emails while navigating on my phone. How primative.

• Funny
I always fail to see why people think EVs need to be substantially better than ICEs to take hold on the subject of cost.
They don't need to be better per se ... up to this point we haven't had something that even resembles an ICE. We've had alien looking econo boxes with golf cart motors or range enough to get to the grocery store but good luck getting to work and back.

Tesla was the first company to actually sell long range, high performance, EVs without the typical compromises. On the issue of cost however, up to this point they've been completely unaffordable to most. Luckily they have inspired other manufacturers to release EVs and increase their ranges.

Now, why do they need to be substantially better than EVs with regards to cost? Not everyone is an EV enthusiast. With regards to smartphones... high end cell phone prices have actually remained fairly stable for the last two decades (for the hardware). Once smartphones were introduced only then did the dumb phone prices drop like a rock. Data plans have gone up over time but as you've mentioned the value was worth the extra cost.

As for EVs, at the moment the extra cost is in the thousands, it's not just a few extra dollars per month. In addition, the overall goal is sustainable transport. This means that we want to eventually replace ICEs with EVs and to do that you have to be affordable AND be able to convince those who could care less if it's an EV. They want a car to get them from point A to point B, cheaply, reliably, and safely.

You and I know the benefits of EVs and Tesla but the general public hears horror stories on the news and propaganda from dealers, auto manufactures, and the oil industry itself sometimes. "You'll run out of charge", "Your car will explode like a Samsung Note 7", "Autopilot will drive you into a truck or off the nearest cliff", "All Teslas are poorly made", "Tesla is full of broken promises and lies", "Investing in Tesla is just a pyramid scheme", etc.

The easiest way to disprove these rumors or beliefs is for Tesla and other manufactures to come out with affordable, long range, EVs with no compromises and actually show people the extra value for the cost. Some companies like Faraday Future, are gung ho about a subscription model and I think that's going to blow up in their faces. People still want to actually own cars for now.

I can't wait until the Model 3 comes out, but even with the much lower price, it wasn't until a recently in my life that I'm in a position to afford a brand new vehicle, much less one at this price. I know the value of an EV and I've wanted and dreamed of having one since I played with an electric slot car race track as a kid. As an adult I'm a little more practical and if checking all the boxes on the highest performance Model 3 puts it out of my price range then I'd be really tempted to opt for a high performance ICE luxury sedan. I can't imagine the general population being more forgiving on price unless you really show that added value and without major engineering mishaps. A lot is riding on the success of the Model 3 and the entire world is watching. I'm hoping for the best.

A base 3 costs at least $35,000.

A lot of people get free smartphones by signing up for a 2-year plan ($80/month?). A lot of people use discount providers like MetroPCS, etc ($50/month?).

I don't see how anyone could think that's a relevant comparison.