Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

these cheap tires worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put the best and stickiest tires I can put on everything I have, even the minivan. If they can help me stop even 1 foot shorter, or increase my lateral grip even a little bit, that could mean the difference between a collision and avoiding one. Your tires are what hold you to the road and Teslas are heavy cars. Tires are not the place to cheap out. Same with brakes pads/rotors.

I agree that testing new tire sets against each other on the same vehicle and on the same road section can create differences in braking and avoidance performance. However, the reality in real life is that tires age and their rubber compound changes to become drier and harder, tread depth can wear more quickly which channels away less water on a wet surface. A highly rated new tire may not stay that way for its entire life.

As important as tires being the contact patch that you need for handling, the car's suspension, weight balance and the driver's skill (look far ahead) will save damage and lives as well. Personally I drive as if the tires are the weak link in this scenario so pushing them to the limit is only a technique for track days.

Certainly poorly manufactured tires that cannot meet speed ratings or that suffer tread separation need to be avoided but for my daily driving I don't assume that the tire brand (and price) will save a bad situation. At this time of the year road conditions can vary by the hour and a wide performance tire that suits dry roads may be worse when traversing standing water or heavy wet snow. Add to that pot hole or other road debris damage risks and you can see my point that tires are always the weak link.

On the other hand, if a tire brand and model gives confidence that they provide added insurance, go for it. I personally bought Hakkapelitta winter tires for all of our vehicles one year and that was a good decision until they dried out and became hard like hockey pucks.

Reactions: ishareit
Less expensive is one of the definitions of cheap....

@cantanko just going to modify this slightly...

Repeat after me: "Thou shalt not buy cheap tyres from unknown brands or manufacturers"...

You are really gambling with your safety and the safety of others.

Everyone trashing the tires has no experience with them, and it's like this with every forum you go on. My suggestion is give them a try and see how they do and report back to everyone else. I've had some cheap off brand tires on cars previously and they performed fine. Don't take advice from people that have no experience with something. If they turn out to be terrible it's not a huge loss and you can switch back to something else. If they turn out fine then you saved a ton of money.

That was just a bonus point it still fails all other criteria,

in unforeseen circumstances cheep tires will take longer to stop, handle worse in rain ice or show and, be harder to control during an emergency avoidance maneuver.

Yes you can save a few dollars but does it make sense? If your lucky that loss of control in an emergency will only cause an accident or property damage, at the worst it can cause death and or dismemberment of yourself or others which is definitely not something I’d want to live with over the small price of a good tire. o_O

A quote from one of the below videos 70-0 mph test, “The budget tyre took an average of 14 metres or 3 and 1/2 car lengths extra to stop. When the premium tyre had come to a stop, the car on budget tyres was still travelling at 31mph.”

Point is tires are your safety and you should never cheap out on them!

Here’s a few informational videos on the subject of your a visual learner

You know, you could avoid all of this risk if you didn't drive.

• Funny
Reactions: Canuck and jpaz
Nankang? Those giants of the industry? A mechanic once said to me (of my BMW), if you can afford the car, you can afford the repairs. That lesson holds here to--you've dropped a ton of money on the car, don't let a few hundred dollars (a few weeks' depreciation) cause you to sacrifice the overall experience for the next few years.
You're the exact type of clientele I want !

• Funny
Reactions: PeterHG
Everyone trashing the tires has no experience with them, and it's like this with every forum you go on. My suggestion is give them a try and see how they do and report back to everyone else. I've had some cheap off brand tires on cars previously and they performed fine. Don't take advice from people that have no experience with something. If they turn out to be terrible it's not a huge loss and you can switch back to something else. If they turn out fine then you saved a ton of money.

Having a different opinion doesn't mean the person with it has no experience. I have tried many brands of off brand tire. From Falken before they gained market share, to Hankook to Lexani (the rim company) and many others. I came to the outlook I detailed in my post based on my personal experiences.

Some off brand tires are decent. Most aren't as good as their top tier brand counterpart. Based on my experience, the better brand tires will pretty much always excel in either grip, noise, balance-ability, or a combo of these. Sometimes the cheap tires would last what seemed like forever and over the tire noise I would think "hey maybe these aren't so bad." Then I would panic stop and actually feel the extra time it took to stop.

Based on my experience I can confidently say that in my time purchasing tires, I've always had a better experience purchasing the better brand and I would rather stick to that than waste money and time on cheap tires.

Your experience may vary, of course.

The folks bashing the Nankangs may or may not be right about them, but the fact that Michelin cannot make a tire that lasts even 10k miles on a properly aligned car driven carefully is disgusting and feels like a scam. I switched to Toyos today, will report back.

what are your thoughts on these tires for my 2017 Model S with 21 Turbines.
only $575 for set of 4. all the specs seem to check out aannnnd comes with a 40k mile warranty. double plus for the 21s. Do these check out?

24011001 Nankang AS-1 245/35R21XL 96Y BSW Tires

Are these all-season tires (one of the reviews suggests they are)? If so they’re the only all-season 21’s I’ve ever seen.

BTW, for what it’s worth my tire shop says cheap tires like these tend to be out of round.

"Cheap Tires"???

You forget you have no spare? Tires are not a good place to skimp.

The folks bashing the Nankangs may or may not be right about them, but the fact that Michelin cannot make a tire that lasts even 10k miles on a properly aligned car driven carefully is disgusting and feels like a scam. I switched to Toyos today, will report back.

My Michelin's will make 25K miles and I drive pretty hard. Granted they will be toast, but the tires are very evenly toasted. Evidently many are not getting a "properly aligned car" from the reports I see here.

The folks bashing the Nankangs may or may not be right about them, but the fact that Michelin cannot make a tire that lasts even 10k miles on a properly aligned car driven carefully is disgusting and feels like a scam.

10K? Are you driving in low all the time and wearing out the inside edge because of negative camber? Because that will happen with excessive low use with any tire. I have my suspension set to go low at 75+, I have about 6k miles on my OEMs and they look brand new.

That being said, my main concern with tires is how well they grip and stop. How long they last is far less a concern if they do the first two things well.

How are the Falken tires working out for you?
So far so good. I’ve done quite a few launches and they grip well
Now I’m just playing the waiting game to see how long they last.

Only tires made in Japan, Germany, or France will go on my car, period!
Is there a reason for that? Because Michelin tires are known to be the best performance tires and just the best tires overall and they’re made in the US. As well as other good brands such as Goodyear and Continental