Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They said "you can't stay on 7.0 forever. .."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The centre console is failing to display maps properly or respond to voice control.

Remember, Tesla lists "voice control" as a feature of the car, not "access to a third party voice API" I don't care HOW they provide it, that's none of my business, but I do care that they deliver it, because that's what they promised to do. It's not my job to care what method they use in the back end, whether it's local, their own cloud, or someone else's.
The feature of the car has broken. They need to repair or replace it (their choice), again, it can be done using any method they want. Hardware, software, whatever.

What they can't do is tie repair of that feature to added restrictions of an unrelated feature.

As for voiding my warranty. Luckily, warranty law supersedes all their language, and is VERY clear that modifications to a vehicle can only void the warranty if they are specifically proven by the manufacturer (burden of proof is on them) to have caused the issue. As Tesla has already stated multiple times that the issue is not related to any modification made to the vehicle, but is in the software that they provided, I have nothing to worry about in that respect.

It is failing to display the map under the driving route or respond to voice commands.

Both of which are on Google servers, no?

How is that a defect in the center console, which is doing everything exactly the same way it always has (but no longer getting the same result from the server)?

If you had a warranty from Google on the server side, that'd be different.

warranty law supersedes all their language, and is VERY clear that modifications to a vehicle can only void the warranty if they are specifically proven by the manufacturer (burden of proof is on them) to have caused the issue.
Can you post that here (if you have it readily available)? I have seen differing opinions on this, specifically relating to the US Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. I realize your jurisdiction is different. From what I've read, because Tesla offers a limited warranty and not a full warranty, the interpretation can be more grey than what you've written. In the case that your modification caused the issue, yes they definitely have an out. But in some cases, it appears they can refuse warranty service even if the modification did not cause the particular issue.

Not a lawyer and not trying to point fingers about it, I just find it interesting and thread-pertinent.

• Informative
Reactions: dehydratedH2O
Remember, Tesla lists "voice control" as a feature of the car, not "access to a third party voice API" I don't care HOW they provide it, that's none of my business, but I do care that they deliver it, because that's what they promised to do. It's not my job to care what method they use in the back end, whether it's local, their own cloud, or someone else's.
The feature of the car has broken. They need to repair or replace it (their choice), again, it can be done using any method they want. Hardware, software, whatever.
Good point in that 'voice control' is offered on many cars and there is plenty of precedent for its being covered by warranty. Then the argument a few posts up that they are obligated to fix Y without modifying aspects of the car not necessary to fix Y holds.

Last edited:
Both of which are on Google servers, no?

How is that a defect in the center console, which is doing everything exactly the same way it always has (but no longer getting the same result from the server)?

But Tesla is offering the features not Google. Plain and simple the center console stopped doing what it did in the past, and what is advertised that it will do, therefore it is broken. It doesn't matter why it is broken, it just is. And since Tesla supplied that part it is their responsibility to make it work again.

If Tesla had supplied an API on the center console and you could install a mapping app, and that app stopped working then it might be a different situation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
But Tesla is offering the features not Google. Plain and simple the center console stopped doing what it did in the past, and what is advertised that it will do, therefore it is broken. It doesn't matter why it is broken, it just is. And since Tesla supplied that part it is their responsibility to make it work again.
The argument from Tesla could be that the fix is readily available. So it's a little more complicated, I think. It's not broken - here's the fix. So the complaint is directly tied to the refusal of the latest software with the argument that it has reduced functionality for the particular owner.

The argument from Tesla could be that the fix is readily available. So it's a little more complicated, I think. It's not broken - here's the fix. So the complaint is directly tied to the refusal of the latest software with the argument that it has reduced functionality for the particular owner.

Correct. Then the issue becomes can they force a change on something else for you to get the fix.

What I don't know is did Tesla specifically say that AP could be enabled on any road at any speed? Or could they claim that was a bug that they fixed. (In this case it is the opposite of the "that's not a bug it's a feature." saying.) Didn't they say from the beginning that AP was for use on divided highways? Therefore the newer versions were enforcing how they said it should be used more accurately.

So when push comes to shove will they use the "that wasn't a feature; it was a bug" defense?

So if facebook changes their website I should sue Apple, because my computer stopped doing what it did in the past?

If specifically displaying the Facebook data on the computer was a feature that Apple specifically delivered, yes they should fix it. In this case Tesla is still drawing your driving route on the screen, but there is no map to make it of any use. So part of the delivered navigation system is no longer working. (And in the older cars this was essentially something you had to pay for as an option, it wasn't included on every car.)

Reactions: green1
Correct. Then the issue becomes can they force a change on something else for you to get the fix.

What I don't know is did Tesla specifically say that AP could be enabled on any road at any speed? Or could they claim that was a bug that they fixed. (In this case it is the opposite of the "that's not a bug it's a feature." saying.) Didn't they say from the beginning that AP was for use on divided highways? Therefore the newer versions were enforcing how they said it should be used more accurately.

So when push comes to shove will they use the "that wasn't a feature; it was a bug" defense?
Luckilly, once again, it doesn't matter what they said, because by law, they can't make ANY change to my personally owned property without my permission. Even if they claim it's a fix.

They are allowed to offer me "bug fixes" but I'm under no obligation to accept them.

Reactions: davidc18
And since Apple is unable to legally do that, all is well in the world.

Thank you kindly.
However Tesla DID sell "voice control", so they now need to figure out how to deliver it. They don't have to use google's services, they can do it in any way they want. This is no different than any subcontracting agreement. If I pay you to mow my lawn, you can subcontract that duty to someone else and let them mow my lawn for you. But if the lawn doesn't get mowed, my contract is still with you, you can't just say that it's not your problem because you subcontracted it. You still need to deal with it, either by doing it yourself, or subcontracting to someone else.

Tesla thought this was no problem because they could always just update the software on the car, and in that aspect they were completely right.
Unfortunately they decided to use that upgrade ability to do multiple things, 1 was to offer fixes for existing functionality, another was to add new functionality, both of those are ok, but where it all went off the rails is when they tried to use that same functionality to remove or limit existing functions. That's going to give them a whole lot of grief.

Luckilly, once again, it doesn't matter what they said, because by law, they can't make ANY change to my personally owned property without my permission. Even if they claim it's a fix.

They are allowed to offer me "bug fixes" but I'm under no obligation to accept them.
Right, but we go back into a circle where a bug fix is tied with an update that also makes a change in a feature (which some view as an improvement and some as a step back). You have the choice to not accept the update, but then that also means the bug is not fixed. It is not readily apparent a manufacturer is obligated to release independent patches for bug fixes (this can exponentially increase the branches in their software). In the phone world, they certainly don't do that (no independent patches whatsoever).

The centre console is failing to display maps properly or respond to voice control.

What they can't do is tie repair of that feature to added restrictions of an unrelated feature.

As for voiding my warranty. Luckily, warranty law supersedes all their language, and is VERY clear that modifications to a vehicle can only void the warranty if they are specifically proven by the manufacturer (burden of proof is on them) to have caused the issue. As Tesla has already stated multiple times that the issue is not related to any modification made to the vehicle, but is in the software that they provided, I have nothing to worry about in that respect.
You said a few days ago that you had some positive feedback from Tesla regarding fixing it. How's that going?

so they now need to figure out how to deliver it.

Fortunately for them, they have done so. it is called 7.1

You are weakening your case bringing in these irrelevancies of voice control etc. Tesla has a fix, you are just refusing to take it. You are also making yourself look paranoid by implying that Tesla might be doing it on purpose to get you to upgrade. If you have a case at all, it lies SOLELY in promised autopilot functionality which is not presently available. What exactly did Tesla promise in your contract to purchase auto-pilot software?

Thank you kindly.