Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things my wife said about Navigate on Autopilot tonight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you keep your cars a long time like I do, you will probably get a really cheap offer to add FSD when it is finally available. (I bought for $2000 during the last “sale,” but admit waiting would have probably been smarter.) And your EAP is much better than the current AP. Not having the lane change functionality would suck.

$5000 is a lot of cash but personally I would really miss EAP on both Teslas. My wife, on the other hand, never uses it and would rather have saved the big bucks we spent to have EAP and FSD on two cars. I do expect that when we finally sell the cars we should get back some of that expense.

Why would I? Unless it was free. I was already lied to. Said EAP FSD will be more expensive after purchase and so i bought into the lie and paid $5000 for EAP and then they have a sale for FSD for $5000. Then they price drop all the cars like the crash of 1929 where I can have my car for almost $10k less. Not to mention all the free supercharging everyone else is getting While i paid premium get nothing. I’m never supporting Tesla again.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a designated job/role. The point is that the non critical activity of adding a nice to have feature (game) takes up resources that cannot be spend on need to have functionality such as FSD.

Except that's completely untrue.

The UI guy spending 10 minutes a few times a year adding games to the menu has nothing whatsoever to do with the FSD guy writing or testing code.

They aren't the same person.

And neither is paid hourly.

One doing his job takes no resources whatsoever that would go toward the other guy doing his, outside of the fact both of their computers run on company electricity.

As for the time aspect, keep in mind that the impact of adding a game is significantly more than one-time 10 minutes (or even a day)

No, it's not though. Your inability to understand how any of this works is rearing its head again.

, Not only does the game need to be developed / ported

Which is something not done by anybody at Tesla so your continually bringing it up is nonsensical.

The atari games were developed decades ago, by people who are now elderly or dead.

The Linux atari emulation was developed in the late 1990s, by people who again are not Tesla.

Likewise the racing game was ported not by tesla but its original developers. Same with Fallout Shelter which is being ported by Bethesda, not Tesla. Or Cuphead (I think I provided a link earlier where the original developer mentions THEY, not Tesla, are doing it).

, it requires testing implementation

Which the developer, not Tesla, would largely be doing since its them that would need to change their code if a problem is found.

I suppose the UI guy needs to test the game he added to the menu actually launches from the menu. That's about 30 seconds to test.

needs to be maintained.

... maintained how exactly?

Are you under the impression Asteroids still gets monthly updates since originally written in 1979 or something?

The game and its integrations now also needs to be tested for compatibility before every system update

Not really, no.

Updating the neural net wouldn't have anything to do with how well Missile Command is functioning.

I suppose if you re-design the menus you'd need to test the launch buttons again though...another 30 seconds a game.

There might be rare MAJOR updates that'd require a few minutes of regression testing, once in a very blue moon...(like if they went to a new kernel or other major major OS change)- but you wouldn't have the dude who codes FSD doing that either- you'd have interns and other cheap labor doing widespread QA testing across everything in the car for such things.

. Ergo, the game consumes resources (in past, present and future) that will not be available for other activities (such as FSD).

Since the UI guy doesn't do FSD, this remains grossly incorrect.

Resurrecting this very old thread to close it, and report that things are much improved with AP on the freeway vs. 2019.

Now my wife is ok with me using it there. I have to say I also judiciously disable it on some interchanges, etc., (it is too unpredictable and lacks smoothness) but on straight stretches of road with traffic moving smoothly AP is way better than prior versions.

Now, the problem has shifted to FSD. It was doing so well the other night, and it had even successfully and smoothly negotiated the entrance to our neighborhood for the first time (I am certain it is learning, lol - seriously it is fine as long as there is no traffic because lack of signals and gradual slowdowns are of no consequence). But then it turned the corner, and proceeded, and came uncomfortably close to opening up a parked car like a can of sardines (probably a couple feet; I did not disengage since I knew we were ok). This elicited a yelp. And then disengagement soon after. Probably more scary on the passenger side!

So hopefully in three years (can’t believe it has been that long!) FSD will show a similar improvement to AP.

But anyway, the summary here is that while AP still has some issues, it’s actually a lot smoother than it used to be in most scenarios (not to say everywhere!). And this is with TeslaVision!

Problem solved!