Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things that are there in model 3 but not model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could be just ignorant but can you tell me the following?

So I saw videos of the credit card type keys (rfid?) that you can give to some one does model S not have that option?

also model 3 can use the phone as a key but model s you have to have the key?

I miss the fact that you can can’t see the auto driving screen in the center console

are there any other things that are in model 3 but missing for model s?

You press the center of the key fob until the blinker flashes. Then you press the rear button of the key fob. The car will open the garage door (if it is not already open) drive out from the garage and closes the garage door. If will stop itself after 30 feet if you don't stop it with the key fob before.

So I saw videos of the credit card type keys (rfid?) that you can give to some one does model S not have that option?
It doesn’t.

also model 3 can use the phone as a key but model s you have to have the key?
You can open it from the app, but not without taking the phone out of pocket, like with the Model 3. You can do it with the key fob though.

are there any other things that are in model 3 but missing for model s?
Coat hooks, lighted mirrors, dual phone charger. Most importantly, faster charging.

And tighter handling, better headlights, more cohesive sound and higher efficiency (quite a bit more range for the same charge time) - though the last is largely a trade off for smaller interior volume. The S really is due for a fuller update though as a low volume product is a lower priority in saving the planet than displacing high volume CUVs (Model Y) and high emission pickups and semis.

You press the center of the key fob until the blinker flashes. Then you press the rear button of the key fob. The car will open the garage door (if it is not already open) drive out from the garage and closes the garage door. If will stop itself after 30 feet if you don't stop it with the key fob before.
does not work for me I park my car trunk in first so may be that is the issue but I press the middle and the lights blink and than when I hold the trunk button nothing happens. I tried pushing and holding the front button and it opened the charge port. Also do you have to be in reverse to park the car in the parking spot? like when I am going through the parking lot and I see a spot I would like to park in. I don't see any options unless I pass that spot and put it in reverse than the sensors come on and I can choose to backing the spot? is backing into a spot the only way and does the same apply to the parallel parking? My wife's car we press the button to park and then we go past a parking spot the car will fit in and it asks us to stop and put it in reverse etc

It doesn’t.

You can open it from the app, but not without taking the phone out of pocket, like with the Model 3. You can do it with the key fob though.

Coat hooks, lighted mirrors, dual phone charger. Most importantly, faster charging.

My X (and I believe S as well) has lighted vanity mirrors, dual USB phone chargers and windshield washer fluid through the blades.

Biggest differences is that Model 3 does not come with a fob, the air vents are concealed within the dash, they have a phone or card entry system. Pretty cool little car.

To me the biggest benefits of the Model 3 are the much lower pricing and nimble handling.

I had a Model 3 and traded it for an X. I actually wanted an S but I needed towing. But most Pros / Cons of S or X to 3 are the same or similar.

S/X Pros
Physical Wiper Control
Two Sensitivity Levels Auto Wiper
Towing (X only)
Free SuperCharging
Safer due to Weight
Nicer Next button on Wheel
Heated Wheel
True Key Fob (this might be a Con)
No ripping liner under car
No bumper ripping off
No roof glass cracking
Two screens
Slightly better EPA range (Ton on S)
Powered lift gate
Cornering lights?
More sensors?
Smoother Ride
Quieter Ride
Bolstered Seats
Front Windshield unreal (X only)
Perfect ProClip mount
Dark headliner (might be light on S)
Real glovebox button
All doors powered (X Only)
All doors aware of their environment
Plastic rockers and wheel wells (X Only)
Much better in the Snow
Cleaner OBDII access
Dynamic Air Suspension
No frozen door handles (S could be as bad)
Better Audio (bigger sub)
Storage Space (X is unreal)
Unlimited mile warranty on battery and drives for 8 years
True battery heater
Extended Warranty Option
Hatchback/Storage

S/X Cons
Longer Reach to screen (but less need to)
Limited tire selection (staggered)
Not as nice as OEM Wheels (I love the 19” snow tire wheels though on X)
Less efficient than 3 (S not as bad as X)
emergency Handling (Namely X)
Portrait Screen on Netflix
Manual vent direction
Older BMS, slower less cooling
Slower heat
Less efficient (S should be better than X)
Lacks phone as key

Last edited:
Reactions: E Dizzle