Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things that could be improved on your 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I test drove I asked can you change the font size, No was the answer, I agree some texts are just too small. Also I think some of the positioning could be improved too.

@Rooster6655 Sometimes I have no choice where I park, and lets face it even at the wrong place wrong time in a village a car going pass might have the wrong people in it. :(

Reactions: Rooster6655
Additional choice of interior colours and trim type
Additional choice wheel style
Add brilliant silver exterior colour choice
Control of screen selection by use of highlighted scrolling and steering wheel button press
Bigger clock with analogue option somewhere
Option to Increase screen font size (colleague won’t buy coz he can’t read screen without reading glasses on)
Frunk mat
Changeable ambient lighting colouring
then how did he read his cars indicators before? just guess at speed? not read mpg figures? not see the dial on fuel?

When I test drove I asked can you change the font size, No was the answer, I agree some texts are just too small. Also I think some of the positioning could be improved too.

@Rooster6655 Sometimes I have no choice where I park, and lets face it even at the wrong place wrong time in a village a car going pass might have the wrong people in it. :(
sounds like they need to open certain things up for personal customisation? I for one think having the speedo be much bigger would be better and linked to gps too . I prefer to drive to my satnavs speedo than my cars. iw as even taught to do that. there's always a 3mph speed difference.

Totally agree with pretty much all of MaDProFF’s points but the one that really bugs me are the the wipers. The automatic setting isn’t sensitive enough, so you end up fiddling with the settings on the screen or pressing the stalk button all the time. I had a VW golf nearly 20 years ago that had better auto wipers than Tesla, so there’s no real excuse for this. Maybe Tesla should spend a bit less time on adding games and fart sounds and a bit more on making both driving experience better. Still a great car though.

Totally agree with pretty much all of MaDProFF’s points but the one that really bugs me are the the wipers. The automatic setting isn’t sensitive enough, so you end up fiddling with the settings on the screen or pressing the stalk button all the time. I had a VW golf nearly 20 years ago that had better auto wipers than Tesla, so there’s no real excuse for this. Maybe Tesla should spend a bit less time on adding games and fart sounds and a bit more on making both driving experience better. Still a great car though.
Don't they do it using the camera rather than a dedicated sensor like most cars have? I guess it's just not really suited to that role. Probably not too much of an issue in California since there isn't really a permanent state of drizzle there as there is in the UK.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andywil
@M3DM "Android Auto - mainly to be able to stream Google Music"

I suppose you could also add to Stream Apple Music as well. Personally I do not like streaming in this country, it is so hit and miss with poor signal quality so annoying cutting in and out, even the DAB radio is not perfect, but a lot better than it used to be.

sounds like they need to open certain things up for personal customisation? I for one think having the speedo be much bigger would be better and linked to gps too . I prefer to drive to my satnavs speedo than my cars. iw as even taught to do that. there's always a 3mph speed difference.
In a straight line going constant speed, GPS may be comparably accurate. But otherwise the car has more info to be more accurate.

going round a corner, accelerating etc then the car is going to be more accurate. GPS takes readings a couple of times a second, not enough for an accurate reading on a bend in the road, you’ll just get straight line speeds between the points of each reading, not following the curve of the bend.

Upon reflection, I find the pictorial navigation directions are too small and difficult to read, especially at night. You can have a large bright blue ‘navigate on autopilot’ bar below the small white picture of the direction and sometimes a bright blue bar above it.

Until there is a way to store sentry video on the computer SOFTWARE THAT MAKES THE USB DRIVE RELIABLE! I am sick of it showing a working camera then when I return to car (or at random times) seeing the dreaded !
Wheel rims designed so that it isn't amazingly easy to get rim rash! I never had it in previous cars and got it twice within two weeks of getting the 3 :( (combo of low tires and rim extending out is deadly - scrapes on low curbs that most cars would just have touch the tire)

I agree that Model 3 Wheels seem to be prone to rim rash more than others. But I also think it’s more a driver issue than a design issue.

Tires are not meant to be frequently rammed in to curbs.

I think part of what is different in the Model 3 that people under estimate. Is where they sit in relation ship to the wheels. And what the body queues of the car is telling you. Not so much the Rims themselves.

In a straight line going constant speed, GPS may be comparably accurate. But otherwise the car has more info to be more accurate.

going round a corner, accelerating etc then the car is going to be more accurate. GPS takes readings a couple of times a second, not enough for an accurate reading on a bend in the road, you’ll just get straight line speeds between the points of each reading, not following the curve of the bend.
For me GPS vs car speed is not so much a matter of accuracy as about whether the car is set to deliberately over-estimate the speed, which i believe most do possibly because it reduces the chance of someone caught for speeding blaming the car's speedo.

Does anyone know if this is something that Tesla do?

Reactions: phillcom3

and if you are watching your cars speedo when going around a bend I don't want to be near you. its there for when I need it and I don't want to be second guessing it. all cars are calibrated fast by law I believe it is 0+5% so the speedo is always faster than actual hence I trust the gps more than the cars speedo even the digital speedos. you cant process quicker than a few times per second in digital anyway if you want faster it has to be a physical dial, psychometrics dictates that. the car will be more accurate ont he instantaneous speed but never ont eh actual speed simply due to calibration not being perfect. gps is for the times it poles as the satalights run to utc +0 offset by a nuclear clock. we can pinpoint bullets with gps, we get meter accuracy for cars and that's the most we need at those speeds.