Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Think I found replacement lug nuts for the 21" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gorilla just changed their webpage last night. They no longer show the "DX" factory style lug with a flat top.
Gorilla Automotive Products

Before

Gorilla Factory Lug before.jpg

After

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 10.47.50 AM.png

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: DaveBC and linkster
Swinging the options considerations back to the Tesla OEM for a moment, as others have noted, Tesla is swapping out the soft chrome capped nuts with the open type + slide on caps. The caps come in different heights (tall / short) and come in black or chrome finish. From another member's (docrice) AWESOME site (mybluetesla.com):

2018-08-12-turbines-mounted-08.jpg

2018-08-12-turbines-mounted-06.jpg

2018-05-13-wheel-swap-prep-08.jpg

anyone knows if this is still the price for all 20 nuts and covers?

Another CLOSER match to the tesla lug nuts.

After finding this thread I went off to order the lugs mentioned, but noticed they do not ahve the clean flat top the factory lug nuts have.

I found these instead: Gorilla Lifetime Lugs 66147DX They have ALMOST the same specs as the 61147CX but have flat tops. :)
The only difference I can find is that these use 7/8" socket instead of the 21mm or 13/16". To me that means more surface to hold, but maybe slightly more weight to rotate...

Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 66147DX Chrome Ram Durango Grand Cherokee 7/8 Hex Lug Nut - Pack of 4 (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size): Automotive

Gorilla Resource:
Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories

Mine are on their way this week after my tire shop bungled up the lugs using a 22mm on an impact run to loosen and tighten.

Enjoy!
~John
Thanks for pointing this out. Amazon lists this does not fit Tesla model y which is what I entered as the specific car I’m shopping for which scares me.

I know this thread is a bit old, but it's prominently placed in the search results for replacement lug nuts for early Model S. Many of the lugs mentioned in this thread are no longer sold. I found a replacement that looks and works great.

Gorilla's 61148FS. The FS brings back the flat top variant that folks noted above was discontinued (which was called DX).

It can be a little hard to find, but it's worth noting the Model S shares lug pattern/layout with the modern ICE Mustang. CJ Pony Parts has a pretty good price on 20. They come in bulk, individually wrapped.

Currently $57.99 for the set of 20.

The inner depth is within a fraction of a mm compared to stock. My stock 2013-era lugs had swollen from 21mm to 22mm, and looked to be in bad shape, so I replaced them all with the above. Worked great!

• Helpful
Reactions: Skavatar
it says for "oem wheels only," "not designed to work with aftermarket wheel"

what's the difference? couldn't I just buy any 13/16(21mm) lug nut with 60' cone (bulge acorn) seat, 14X1.50 threads

Are you intending to use it on factory or aftermarket rims? Some aftermarket rims have a narrow lug opening so the bulge acorn won't fit.

• Informative
Are you intending to use it on factory or aftermarket rims? Some aftermarket rims have a narrow lug opening so the bulge acorn won't fit.
And you also need to know the degree and length of taper so the surfaces mate as designed to do.

Lug nuts have more to them beyond 1) do they thread on, and 2) will they fit in the cavity.