Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Party "pay for charge" superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that TM has offered to license the technology to other auto manufacturers. I have not heard that they've declined to license it to anyone that asked. Have you heard that they have refused a valid proposal? That said, TM seems to be doing a great job with its own roll-out continuing to fill in the gaps. The only real reason for TM to seek partners would be if they felt they could not afford to complete their roll-out or do so in an acceptable timeframe.

What would be really interesting is if anyone was in a situation as a business owner where building a for-pay Supercharger was something they wanted to do. If they were to approach Tesla about doing this, I bet Tesla would be willing to negotiate. I think it would just depend on if both parties could come to an acceptable deal.

Personally, I would happily pay as much as it would cost in gas to drive an ICE car -- maybe more -- if I was concerned about whether or not I would make it home with a reasonable charge left.

What really needs to happen is for companies that build fast DC charge stations to license the Supercharger specs. For instance, ABB has a fast DC charge station that works with CHAdeMO and the Frankenplug standard (what is that standard called again?). No reason they couldn't make a version that was also compatible with Tesla.

People who install and operate charge stations don't want to license technology, they want to buy products...

If I was a business owner I would provide free or cheap charging just to get customers to my door! It seems like a great marketing tool to affluent customers!
So it appears that Nissan didn't get a lot of takers when they were trying to get businesses to buy their subsidized DC chargers. Of course the Leaf is a different price point, so one could argue the the purchasing power of owners will be different, so this could play out differently when targeting Teslas. But from talking to a few business owners who installed L2 chargers, the impact on their business has not been significant - certainly not adequate to justify the cost of even a L2 charger...

That would create an uncontrolled dependency and that's a bad thing. Chargers might make sense post Model E, if there's enough volume to have pay destination or destination-ish chargers to supplement the Tesla network.
I think the assumption here is "to augment where Tesla isn't going", not "to replace Tesla's own rollout".
Let's assume you have a high end restaurant that's a two hour drive through the mountains from <insert major city>. Being able to add a fast DC chargers might get Tesla owners to seek you out.
I still wonder about the business model and if this would possibly be worth it... but I guess that's the theory.

Why doesn't Tesla license their supercharger technology so that a company can install them more broadly under a typical pay for use model?

Tesla has offered to license the tech.
Tesla won't, IMO, ever have a 'pay per use' model for superchargers as it conflicts with the "free for life" concept.
Tesla is already offering free HPWC units to business owners.

If Tesla licensed it they could call it something different. Tesla QuickCharge or something. Businesses could install them and discount or give away a charge if you dine or shop there. This would keep Tesla's promise intact with giving away free Supercharging.

I think it would be great to have 3rd party supercharging within cities/suburbs as Tesla does not seem want to put superchargers in those areas for the most part (Bethesda MD being among the exceptions). This would help with destination charging which is still a major problem even with superchargers between many cities.

I think it would be great to have 3rd party supercharging within cities/suburbs as Tesla does not seem want to put superchargers in those areas for the most part (Bethesda MD being among the exceptions). This would help with destination charging which is still a major problem even with superchargers between many cities.

Yes!
Charge my credit card $0.30 per kWh, offset your cost over time, and give me a chance to charge in major cities... It must be more expensive than charging at home.

Yes!
Charge my credit card $0.30 per kWh, offset your cost over time, and give me a chance to charge in major cities... It must be more expensive than charging at home.

If they call it 'Supercharging' there are people that will flip out though since it was promised to be free forever. Tesla either has to qualify that statement stating at some future VIN (which would also piss someone off) or let some third party handle city Supercharging so Tesla can keep their promise.

If they call it 'Supercharging' there are people that will flip out though since it was promised to be free forever. Tesla either has to qualify that statement stating at some future VIN (which would also piss someone off) or let some third party handle city Supercharging so Tesla can keep their promise.
DC Megacharger - and yes, isn't the title of this thread "Third Party pay for charge superchargers"? :)
I completely agree with you - it can't be Tesla, it can't be called Supercharger.

You're right of course. I did get off topic but using the word Superchargers is what I was referring to. People would see that and be upset that that Supercharging isn't included for free. Don't agree with them but I'm sure that's how some would view it. Best to avoid it completely and label it Tesla compatible quick charging. I like Megacharging. Is mega>Super?:)

You're right of course. I did get off topic
Quick, alert one of them moderator people to have you whacked over the head... :cool:
but using the word Superchargers is what I was referring to. People would see that and be upset that that Supercharging isn't included for free. Don't agree with them but I'm sure that's how some would view it. Best to avoid it completely and label it Tesla compatible quick charging. I like Megacharging. Is mega>Super?:)
100% agree with you there. This would be far worse than the A-pack battery discussion.
Oh, and I don't know for sure about mega > super, but apparently ultra < super < hyper - so these should be Ultrachargers :)

An attendee of the January event in Munich asked Elon on the thread subject. The answer was, not now, maybe later. Tesla focus is on building the supercharger network to enable long distance travel at the moment.

So the idea of a differently labeled Tesla compatible intra city DC charging has appeal to me. Since it is NOT Tesla supercharging, all Model S in existence should be able to use it, shouldn't they? IOW the 60kWh cars that didn't pay Tesla for the option to supercharge.

So the idea of a differently labeled Tesla compatible intra city DC charging has appeal to me. Since it is NOT Tesla supercharging, all Model S in existence should be able to use it, shouldn't they? IOW the 60kWh cars that didn't pay Tesla for the option to supercharge.
I don't think so. They force you to enable supercharging if you want to use a CHAdeMO adapter. I believe for the Model S it is either DC charging is supported, or it is not.